Let's hope..

Posted by: MattMac112

Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 09:46 AM

.. the media doggedly pursues this for the racist hate crime that it is:<br><br>http://wcbstv.com/seenon/shock.video.punch.2.658258.html<br><br>We need Jesse and Al to come in and denounce the attacker. We need Matt Lauer doing some hand-wringing and lecturing on Today. <br><br>***********************<br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 09:57 AM

the victim didn't die, so i doubt this get much play beyond some right-wing blogs. but i do hope the thug who punched the guy goes away for a long time.<br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 10:17 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"...<strike>the victim didn't die</strike>, so i doubt this get much play <strike>beyond some right-wing blogs</strike>..."<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>"...the victim isn't black [and his attackers white] so I doubt this get much play in the agenda driven liberal media..."<br><br>***********************<br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 10:40 AM

yeah, because when it's a <a href="http://www.edailynews.info/articles/2008/02/15/news/news06.txt">white guy attacking a black guy and spewing racial hate</a> the story ends up plastered on the news. <br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:05 AM

Hey, forget Jesse and Al, or even asking the liberal media for fair treatment. <br><br>We need Michelle Obama, who recently just found pride in her country, to step up and ask that these thugs not take that away from her. <br><br><br><br>***********************<br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:06 AM

So long as people, whatever their politics, keep equivocating between singular hate crimes with more pervasive and less arguable instances of racism in the criminal justice system, we will never make any real progress. Less importantly, those same people will continue to be perceived as racist in that very same media.<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:06 AM

Is that an AP photo?<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:12 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So long as people, whatever their politics, keep equivocating between singular hate crimes with more pervasive and less arguable instances of racism in the criminal justice system<p><hr></blockquote><p>To libs, race relations have never advanced beyond 1960 in this country. Why just the other day I saw MSDNC reporting on the hoses viciously being turning on a group of black school kids in downtown Montgomery. <br><br>***********************<br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:14 AM

I didn't know we were talking about "Libs." I mean, they are responsible for everything, right?<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 11:58 AM

"To libs, race relations have never advanced beyond 1960 in this country. "<br><br>I'm a lib, I guess, and I don't believe relations haven't advanced. But I do know for a fact that if the "cons" had had their way, said relations never would have advanced beyond 1960.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 12:13 PM

Don't take the bait. Matt's a masterbaiter. The underlying presumption of the post is that all and only white-on-black violence gets covered. That's such a patently false idea that it doesn't warrant a response.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 12:40 PM

i should have known. i got caught up in this:<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 12:41 PM

I believe the underlying presumption is to bring race to the forefront of political discussions now that Obama may be the nominee and the next president of the United States. That absurd presumption is that the Democratic party, liberals, civil rights activists and the media are inherently racist. (cue Mojo with his "White Guilt" argument).<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 12:44 PM

I always thought that those who perpetuate the white guilt argument must be severely conflicted with guilt. There is other reason to keep bringing it up so obsessively.<br><br>[color:red]_________________________</font color=red><br>[color:white]Max </font color=white><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 01:45 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The underlying presumption of the post is that all and only white-on-black violence gets covered.<p><hr></blockquote><p>... Rather, it's only white-on-black violence that is exploited in the media and by their race hustlers partners Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. <br><br>***********************<br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 02:25 PM

"That absurd presumption is that the Democratic party, liberals, civil rights activists and the media are inherently racist. "<br><br>Of course they are. That's what Democrats, wacko's et al, derive a large share of their power from. <br><br>And I didn't even mention the vapid and vapored crowd that is pouring their decades old guilt into Obama. <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 02:32 PM

I find her commentary very disingenuous. Even more disingenuous is the interpretation that the media readily accepts from her husband. He says "what she meant to say is.....X" So whenever she says anything we will now have to wait for the spin before we can listen. <br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 02:45 PM

Isn't it funny how all the threads on the front page but one are about Obama in one way another? Yeesh.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 02:51 PM

Michelle Obama: ""What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."<br><br>What you and Cindy McCain seem to hear: "I've always hated America"<br><br><br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 03:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Michelle Obama: ""What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."<p><hr></blockquote><p>Really? Not proud of your country when your husband was elected to the Illinois Senate? Really? Not proud of your country when you graduated from Harvard? Not proud of your country when Colin Powell and Condi Rice achieved some of the highest positions in the United States Government? No? Not proud then? How about when your husband made the Keynote Address at the DNC four years ago? Not proud of the ol' country even then? Just a little? Little pride there, Michelle? Little bit? No? <br><br>***********************<br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 03:04 PM

Oh snap!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 03:09 PM

This is your excuse for criticism? Nit picking the way she (or anyone, Obama related or otherwise) puts a few words. Give me a break. You must have something better on offer? And even if there were something there worth criticizing, what does what she said have to do with race or her husband's accomplishments? She was talking about the country.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 03:20 PM

And rather than quote the entire comment you select only a potion of it. What she said, and what obviously wasn't said clearly, in the context of her complete statement is referring to what she's seeing with people joining the campaign and mobilizing politically. <br><br>It's hard to believe we have to go through this again where every out-of-context or misspoken statement becomes a mantra for the right to prove how much a United States Senator and his wife really hate America. Deja vu all over again. <br><br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 03:33 PM

Even with the blurb itself without context, it was still pretty hard to misconstrue. Impossible really.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 07:08 PM

How about now, Mrs. Obama? <br><br><blockquote>Ann Curry: "Good morning, Mr. President, and Mrs. Bush. You know, even your critics, Mr. Bush, say that you have had the greatest impact on Africa than any president in US history. You have fought for funding and saved more than a--more than million lives, from malaria and from AIDS."</blockquote><br><br>Proud / not proud?<br><br>***********************<br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/20/08 10:17 PM

I didn't click your link, but there are a few (and far between) kudos I'll give Bush. His way stepped up aid to Africa, and having so many minorities in his cabinet (too bad they were as slimy as the rest of them, though.)<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 08:34 AM

<br>While the sock twins are splitting hairs over timing:<br><br>It would have come across a bit more sincere<br>BEFORE they discovered that vast oil reserve. <br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 09:20 AM

i think McCain has much bigger problems right now than to worry about trying to parse Mrs. Obama's words into some effective campaign strategy. right wing blogs can go crazy with this because they have little else, but in the grand scheme of things this is tiny compared to what McCain is now dealing with.<br><br>EDIT: but i also notice that you posted something positive about Bush from the mainstream media. use them when the help and then wail about them the rest of the time. <br><br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 10:01 AM

Speaking of hope, there's an incredibly stupid column by Cal Thomas about hope in today's paper (it probably came out a while ago, but my local paper publishes at its own pace . Here's how it begins:<br><br>"Hope is a dangerous thing," s...g with despair.<br><br>If you follow out the logic of hope being dangerous, then this gentleman, who is a Baptist minister, is also suggesting that believers shouldn't believe because, after all, what if the belief turns out to be misplaced. By implication he's also suggesting that we ought not to fall in love because to do so is obviously to leave ourselves open to disappointment and suffering. And surely we ought to abort all fetuses because children are so much objects of hope--if nothing else of hope that there will be a future, period.<br><br>But then the real purpose of the column is to argue that Obama is not someone we ought to even consider a good choice because he offers ungrounded hope: [color:blue]The "hope" being sold by Obama and his true believers is misplaced. Obama cannot deliver; he cannot save; he cannot improve individual circumstances by redistributing wealth and talking to America's dictatorial enemies. He is selling snake oil.</font color=blue><br><br>That may be true, or not. But to introduce the whole business with the idea that we ought not to hope . . . what a douche bag of an article!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 10:57 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>EDIT: but i also notice that you posted something positive about Bush from the mainstream media.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And look what happened. A fscking total lunar eclipse! <br><br>***********************<br>

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 11:34 AM

i am still waiting on the cold front in hell. <br><br>
Posted by: Mac007

I decided to read the whole article - 02/21/08 01:55 PM

He's not saying hope is bad. He's saying hope that isn't grounded in objective truth is dangerous. Some folks tend to think if we just elect the most charismatic leader they will solve everything with no effort on their part. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: Lea

Re: I decided to read the whole article - 02/21/08 02:00 PM

I read it a couple of days ago, and came away with the same impression.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: I decided to read the whole article - 02/21/08 05:19 PM

My point is that hope is never based on objective truth. Objective truth tells you what is and suggests a probability for what will be, and depending on the probability it indicates the likelihood (to vary the term) that something will come to pass. But hope, IMHO, works in an entirely different field. If I'm a theist, I have no objective evidence for the existence of a God. If I'm a parent, I have no objective evidence that my child will be a success. If I'm . . . you name it, and hope is not a matter of objective "truth." It's a little like faith, I think. If I have objective evidence for something, then to believe that thing to be true is not a matter of faith but a matter of experience. Cal Thomas is a preacher. He ought to know the difference between the way that objectivity and hope work. That's all.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Let's hope.. - 02/21/08 05:24 PM

<br>"A fscking total lunar eclipse! "<br><br>Don't do another !!!<br><br><br><br>the sun may go out !! <br><br><br><br>David (OFI)