First ever MacMinute online election for President

Posted by: Mac007

First ever MacMinute online election for President - 01/30/08 05:39 PM

I thought it would be fun to have our own little election for President of the United States using forum members as candidates. The rules are simple. No dangling chads, no dirty tricks, and no invoking supernatural powers of any kind. At the end of next week I will declare a winner based on who gets the most votes. The person who gets the second most votes wins the Vice Presidency. Have fun and keep it nice. <br><br><br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:12 PM

I wanna hear the stump speeches! <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:16 PM

<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:29 PM

If we each vote for ourselves, then we'll have an all-around tie and the election would have to be thrown to the House. Hmmmm . . . .<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:33 PM

I'm not lurking and that was my vote. Why? Carey has the most informed, reasoned posts that I've ever read.<br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:35 PM

A extemporaneous stump speech? OK<br><br>For being listed only above "other" and "none of the above" I know I have a tough row to hoe but I will take that as a challenge as Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights took his last row placing as a challenge.<br><br>My platform as president: I would abdicate presidential responsibility and hand over reigns to Naomi Wolf. Besides being totally hot she is a hottie because she is so smart. Hopefully this move will not be misconstrued as a sexist move. She just happens to be the smartest person I can think of right now. (The fact that she is totally hot has nothing to do with it.)<br>I would also make Noam Chomsky my Secretary of State. Think about it. You know I am right. Secretary of Agriculture I would force ichi to hold still and take office.<br>If I wasn't leaving town at the crack of dawn I would fill out the rest of my administration but I do have 7 days to pander for votes ...<br><br>But let me leave you with Ricky Bobby's famous quote about electioneering and life.<br><br>Shake and Bake!<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:38 PM

How can this possibly be fair?!? I only got to vote once!<br><br>My fellow MMers, I must be clear. If there is even one vote cast for me, and I do not expect this to happen, it wasn't mine. Real Texans don't vote for themselves, unless their name is Lyndon. If you don't believe me, just ask the candidate that somehow slept his way to the top of the ballot. And I must bow to his considerable abilities, considering this is an intertube community.<br><br><br>(How fun, Michael! Really!)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:40 PM

Oh like that should be some kind of qualifier. Mmm hmm.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:43 PM

I'm not lurking and that was my vote. Why?<br><br>I thought I was poking fun at Carey. I didn't know you would waste your vote by voting for someone other than yourself. That is so un-american!<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: FSM

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for President - 01/30/08 06:48 PM

i received a vote? i am a holy being . . . i don't want religion and politics mixing like that. i'd like my name removed from the poll before i lose my tax exempt status.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 06:58 PM

Stump Speech Extended: Am I the first candidate who will admit that they voted for themselves? Bring it on you lying son's of beatches! Sure New kojack is the most reasonable, and FSM brings new meaning to "thinks too much" and Yoyo is OK but forget about him because I will make him my Secretary of Education, Finance and Beatches.<br><br>Anyone I missed it is only because I gotta scrape the mouse turds out of my ski boots. But feel the pain. Live the Dream. Vote for Poly.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:10 PM

that's perfect and what i needed to hear. i am casting my vote for you poly.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:12 PM

In retrospect this vote will only prove who has viable sock puppets. If you get more than one vote you are suspect of being the owner of sock puppets. I change my mind. Please, do not vote for me.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:13 PM

My fellow MMers. Some of you may think that the future is behind us. But I'm here to assure you that the future remains ahead of us. And it is one bright future ahead of us, my fellow MMers, brighter than the Vegas strip, brighter even than Naomi Wolf, who is hot because she uses incandescent light bulbs that waste energy and make global warming worse. And I want to let you all know that the MMIE, the MM Intelligence Estimate, has determined that there's a huge shipment of yellow twist tungsten on the way through the intertubes. If I am elected I will promise you that I will hunt down that shipment and root it out so that we can unplug the intertubes and live in a tungsten-free nation. No more incandescence, my fellow MMers, no more incandescence if I'm elected. And once my administration has flushed the intertubes, I promise you that I'll twist every arm in Congress and you all will have free broadband. Free broadband to all MMers, my fellow MMers! And a MacPro in every pot . . . and some pot in every pipe, and a pipe in every intertube.<br><br>In the name of the IPU!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>that's perfect and what i needed to hear. i am casting my vote for you poly.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahh shi[i][/i]t, I am fsked now.<br><br>OK, I have bolted in front of the pack with twice as many votes as my nearest contender. Time to pack it in. As Rudy Guiliani said when he took such a commanding lead in the Republican race, "game over".<br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:25 PM

I can't vote for you twice. I tried. You got my vote because you have the most apples, and I think that's an important quality.<br><br>Also, as I have formally announced my withdrawal from the race, I now throw you my delegate, with the express expectation that you recognize that I will be an excellent Veeperette. Unless somebody else gets the most votes, in which case they get my delegate and I still get to be Veeperette. That's the rule.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:35 PM

How can you think of throwing your vote to yoyo when he goes on and on about this bullshi[i][/i]t about Naomi's incandescence being responsible for her incandescence? She has been LED for years!!<br><br>And then he throws in that pandering mention of the IPU (mhhnbs) without saying the blessing. That is a heathen talking. Even if he was elected he would be skewered by her holy pinkness (gbhhh) way before he took the oath of office. Take your vote back. petition the moderator. Make several sock puppets and vote for me early and often!<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:37 PM

I promise FREE BEER (or wine) for life... vote for me !! <br><br>and specially trained sex slaves to meet all your needs !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:40 PM

Typical Bostonian electoral politics! If I didn't know better, I'd say you're channeling Mayor Curley and your invoking the IPU is just a cover for that man's satanic power over the dead, which brought them out of the grave and into the voting booth in hecatombs. Pure blasphemy!<br><br><br>[aside]I love the word hecatomb[/aside]<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 07:41 PM

I think you just got my vote <br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:02 PM

too late -- "sean" just voted for you in his first login in a long time. <br><br>you let me ride a segway. how else could i vote.<br><br>p.s. i'll be back in Boston for a conference in early April.<br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:04 PM

If nominated, I will not accept; if drafted, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.<br><br>Some wise words there.<br><br>hmmm... I am thinking about voting for DLC....<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:07 PM

"Trained sex slaves"? That is such a turn off. In my administration there will be no trained sex slaves. All willing contestants can enter the "slaves to poly" contest and anyone in my cabinet can work thinks out from there. They will not be trained. Completely virginal and untested.<br><br>Trog, commit your one single vote you have garnered, likely from yourself, and I will make you head trainer. Then they will be trained.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:09 PM

Free Segway rides who all who vote for me. Really, I got two. We have races every Friday afternoon. <br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:12 PM

I extend my sincerest apology for suggesting that you slept your way to the top of the ballot. Only a candidate of your stature and integrity could make it to the top by floating promises of free beer and offering job training specific to the sex slave trade.<br><br>As the next Veeperette of MM, my top is off to you, sir.<br><br>Yes, there is nothing I won't do for the job. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 08:28 PM

There are too many choices in there, so I suggest a second round with maybe 3-5 of the top candidates and if no-one gets 45% or more of the votes then, a third round with only two remaining candidates. Oh, and I already forgot who I voted for.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:07 PM

<br><br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:19 PM

Well rats! I wanna ride. I entered the thread and saw my name and thought I might as well vote for myself cause no one else would! I voted and looked and 2 other people voted for me.<br><br>I really don't think I'd be able to complete one term. I'd never remember where the oval office was and once I got in there I wouldn't be able to find the door to get out! I'd just die there.<br><br>I'd never remember all the state secrets! Heck, I can't even remember this Mac stuff from one set up until the next upgrade!<br><br>I think I'd better give a concession speech and throw my support directly behind Poly. Now I get a Segway ride. . . <br><br><br>I concede! I don't think I have to give back all the contributions because I don't know any crooks. Everyone wanted me to get a MacBookPro for next summer anyway.<br><br>Kate<br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:19 PM

Is that an old Nixon cartoon? I think I remember it, anyway.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:42 PM

I assume so. I definitely don't remember it. My first memories are of Carter.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:44 PM

I'm putting on a sock right now so I can vote for you. I am that inspired. And as your Veeperette, I will pardon you when the time comes, but I'll publish my memoirs about it all before we're both dead.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:49 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yes, there is nothing I won't do for the job.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Those are the kind of people I'm looking forward to working with!<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:52 PM

my first presidential memories are of Carter as well. ah the good old days. <br><br>actually, in early elementary school i remember voting in class and i voted for Ford. i think i picked him because his name was the same as our car. but Carter won that election . . . so technically i guess i remember the Ford administration. <br><br>*side note barely related -- my office now looks out at the Ford presidential museum. meh.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 09:57 PM

Being from Michigan you might want to double check that museum. That might actually be named after your car as well.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/30/08 10:35 PM

It was done after Nixon's death.<br><br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>
Posted by: ichi

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 01:06 AM

afaik, i'm the only one who has announced. you have (and will) heard my positions.<br><br>here are the cornerstones:<br>1. national health care (single payer) (includes abolishment of VA and employer programs).<br>2. all foreign based troops home (includes ending current combat missions in iraq, close gitmo down, denounce war).<br>3. end oil as much and as fast as possible (and i mean end it NOW).<br>4. the Prohibition is off NOW.<br>5. abolish and eradocate goverment overwieght, e.g. DHS.<br><br>what's in:<br>money in the coffers, no deficits, for:<br>education<br>medicine<br>law enforcement, public service(s) (including improved missions departments of state and justice.)<br><br>pubic funding of all elected campaigns (funded from pool of public and any andf all campaigners).<br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 02:14 AM

You represent a formidable opponent, itchi.<br><br>Ready, set, debate!!<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 02:41 AM

I am disturbed at the democratic process; I'm not even in the running.....(and Other and/or none of the above don't count) Some people listed above haven't even been at MM (as registered users) long enough to be on the ballot I would think. Sniff. I'll go hang out with the chopped liver. <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:37 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>My first memories are of Carter.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm sorry. <br><br><br>

Re: hey mods move this to the lounge. - 01/31/08 04:30 AM

:P<br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: Topper

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:38 AM

I don't blame you. I really don't.<br>You and Lea and Llewelyn have held this place up when no one else cared.<br>I apologize to anyone I missed. <br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:41 AM

[color:blue]"As the next Veeperette of MM, my top is off to you, sir"</font color=blue><br><br>Just like all politicians, you are probably all talk <br><br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 07:34 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I apologize to anyone I missed<p><hr></blockquote><p>No problem we the ignored are used to it. <br>and folks wonder why people revolt against the government<br>it ain't rocket science <br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 07:44 AM

And you didn't make the ballot either. <br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 07:44 AM

Not so ~ <br><br>[color:white]xxxxxxxxxx</font color=white>[color:white]xxxxxxxxx</font color=white><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 10:05 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I wanna hear the stump speeches!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I promise you a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage!<br><br>And if you believe that... Too bad there aren't audio winkies for political speeches. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 12:14 PM

I'll reserve my vote in case it's necessary to break a tie. When exactly do the polls close?<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for President - 01/31/08 03:19 PM

Are we headed for the First Woman President ...<br><br><br>of MacMinute Cafe online ?? <br><br><br>I will admit Kate is a real sweetie... <br>hard to beat !<br><br><br>DANG ! and after I offered free beer and sex... man politics is ruthless !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:33 PM

I already conceded!<br><br>Cut it out people!<br><br>I'm going to put signs out there in the Lounge telling folks to be brave and come in here and vote. It only takes a second and then they can scoot right back to the safety of the Lounge! <br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:35 PM

I won't campaign, stump, raise funds, make promises that I can't keep, shake babies, hug hands. I'm the "sleeper." <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:37 PM

Such kind words.... well, you have my vote!<br><br>-- Cee Bee Double-U

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:39 PM

My fellow Soapboxers, you know that I hold Kate in the highest regard. However, I strongly believe that a vote for Kate is a step backward. <br><br>Did you know that my opponent was in favor of the policy to lose the colors in our usernames? My sources have been telling me that she is secretly lobbying for the removal of all unique avatars to be replaced with one that looks like this:<br><br><br>I believe this forum is a sacred place for originality and free speech! I believe that the time for threadlocking is over! I believe that if a Soapboxer wants to say [censored], he or she should be allowed to say [censored] ! Vote for me, vote for change!<br><br><br>This message paid for by the Trog in '08 foundation.<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 03:41 PM

The little blue guy is a lot less frightening than your current avatar. <br><br><br>

Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 03:50 PM

Wanna form a Southern ticket? We could bring a more laid back administration and approach to guvmint. If things get rough, we'll just go fishin' or drink some beer or both. <br><br><br>

Re: Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 04:32 PM

Yes! Water Bobs full of beer for everybody! <br><br>[color:white]xxxx</font color=white><br><br><br>Southern Sunshine 24/7!<br><br>[color:white]xxxxxx</font color=white><br><br><br>Ships that never sink!<br><br>[color:white]xxxx</font color=white><br><br><br><br><br>Now put on yer socks and Vote for [color:blue]SOUTHERN</font color=blue> [color:red]COMFORT!!!</font color=red><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xxxxxxxxxx</font color=white><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>MacBozo and Lea approve of this message, and you should, too <br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: globalrolf

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:32 PM

Okay, I guess that was the MacMinute Democrat primary. I will putting together the Republican primary and be including myself as a candidate. Any Republicans who want to be nominated, or any Republicans who have a nomination of someone else, please PM me and I will put the name on the list. Deadline is Monday at noon. But remember, I am the Reagan conservative. <br><br>GBR (OFI)

Re: Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 04:33 PM

Genteel! That's the word I was looking for! (the gerbil wasn't using the wheel very much) <br><br>Another mint julep, Scarlet?<br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:35 PM

But remember, I am the Reagan conservative.<br><br>That is a treatable condition, you know. <br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:37 PM

Can we cross vote? I've got some really good Conservative friends, in spite of myself. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 04:42 PM

[censored] either! We'll be co-president! Then we can use the royal, "We." <br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:44 PM

Great idea! Go for it!<br><br><br>

We've made an exception in your case FSM - 01/31/08 04:44 PM

You won't loose your tax exempt status unless of course you're caught trying to buy votes.<br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

bird! - 01/31/08 04:46 PM

Secretary of State and front porch rockin'! Come fly with me! <br><br><br>

Re: Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 04:48 PM

I dunnno. I really like the sound of Veeperette. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Yo, Lea! - 01/31/08 04:53 PM

OK. You get a Corvette to go with the title. <br><br><br>

Don't despair lanovami - 01/31/08 04:55 PM

You can always urge others to vote for you as a write in candidate. You can also appeal to the Supreme Court if you think the elections not fair. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 04:58 PM

For every one who does NOT vote for me, I'll hire a hacker to give you color and special individual title of your own choosing.<br><br>An do not listen to the trog behind that curtain. He is lost, looking for OZ and fell into this place!<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 05:41 PM

I haven't voted yet. I'm waiting for someone to try to bribe me.<br><br>C'mon folks!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 05:47 PM

Since this has to be an open primary, it might as well be an open nomination process, so have at it. The results will be kind of pointless, however, since I doubt very many of the voters here, if anyone votes, will be of the Republican persuasion.<br><br>And while I'm posting, a stump speech:<br><br>If elected, I pledge to do all that I can to find solutions to problems in ways which do not involve spending more taxpayer's money. And anything which is not the government's responsibility to take care of, I pledge to not seek a feel-good solution which does nothing to solve the real problem. Furthermore, with the understanding that global warming is not simply a man-made problem that can be solved with man-made solutions, I will work with the other nations to deal with the effects of global warming, if it continues, and not come up with ridiculous proposals for how we can "green" our way to a cooler planet, since the only way, realistically to eliminate greenhouse gases is to turn our economic development back a hundred years (Can you imagine the greenhouse gases emitted from all that additional horse manure, and - he said in his best Andy Rooney voice - who will do all the manual labor that machines once did?) while China, India and whoever else continues to unrelentingly spew out greenhouse gases in an attempt to surpass us economically. Also, I will seek to promote economically viable solutions to a greener environment, and oppose "solutions" in which the economic viability of them is questionable or has not even been considered. While seeking to promote and help establish stability in Iraq and the Middle East (and the rest of the world, for that matter), I will work to shrink our military "footprint" in a way that does not lessen our nation's security. I will also call the Pentagon and all other aspects of the federal government to greater financial accountability. And finally, when appointing judges, I will seek those who will not "legislate from the bench" and who will not seek to circumvent the legislative process by judicial decree, a process I consider to be unconstitutional. I will seek to appoint judges who will interpret the law rather than base their decision on what feels right at the moment regardless of what the people's representatives (Congress and state legislators) have determined the law to be.<br><br>GBR (OFI)

I will take your suggestions to heart - 01/31/08 06:17 PM

We may need a runoff or two before this is over. I just hope some disgruntled candidate doesn't try to upset the election by appealing to the Supreme Court. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 06:17 PM

Even the default Rep. candidate, McCain, acknowledges that green technology can only improve things, both economically as the research becomes enacted in new industries that employ more people, and diplomatically as the dependence on an oil economy diminishes, and ecologically as the green technologies clean up the environment which, regardless of who or what is responsible for the warming, can certainly stand a good scrubbing. So why are you against American technological development and prosperity when your party's candidate is not?<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Now now ichi - 01/31/08 06:19 PM

No need to appeal to the Supreme Court just because you're getting no votes. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 06:20 PM

I finally voted. Dave's beer and sex slaves were the best thing on offer, and as drjohn always says, the major problem with democracy is the electorate's discovery that we can give ourselves whatever we want . . . just vote for it.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: I will take your suggestions to heart - 01/31/08 06:22 PM

No Supreme Court appeal from me. An invite to form a coalition, yes!<br><br><br>

The polls close by the end of next week - 01/31/08 06:36 PM

I will be open to a runoff election if one is necessary. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 01/31/08 07:55 PM

You didn't say anything I disagree with, except saying that I'm against technological development. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, unless you believe that a prosperous economy is diametrically opposed to technological development, which I'm sure isn't what you believe.<br><br>I think you're jumping to a big conclusion to say that McCain is "my party's candidate." While he appears to be the front-runner, he has not won the nomination. And why should I change my beliefs to totally line up with McCain? I've given my share of support to GW Bush as has been evidenced on forum discussions, but there are many things about this administration that I strongly disagree with. I will only vote for McCain because the alternative is qualitatively worse. Another (or is it the same?) Clinton or an idealistically misguided and naive left-wing newcomer to the office. I didn't vote for GW because I liked him. It was the only thing I could do to oppose the likes of John Kerry and Al Gore. It looks like I'm stuck voting an "anti" vote again if McCain is the candidate, 'cause I'm sure not voting for the Democrat, whoever it may be.<br><br>GBR (OFI)

Re: The polls close by the end of next week - 01/31/08 07:56 PM

Fine, as long as it's an exhaustive ballot! <br><br>In the meantime I will reserve my vote for the candidate who appeals to my own sense of fiscal responsibility, one who can live up to the oath of office, puts the People's interests above special interests, surrounds themselves with smart and engaging doers, knows the difference between real and imagined threats, and one who is capable of using and enunciating polysyllabic words.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/01/08 06:31 AM

should we "Read your lips" (avatar) to fill in the [censored] part Trog?? <br><br>I do believe it's a 4 letter word....<br><br>sounds like ... <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/01/08 06:56 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>I think I'd better give a concession speech and throw my support directly behind Poly. Now I get a Segway ride. . . <br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Thank you for those votes. Now I just need to buy some more votes as this makes me tied with DLC. <br><br>DLC's cheap tactic of offering free beer and sex is just that. A tawdry trick with no backing. The dude's from Atlanta! He probably thinks Bermuda shorts and sneakers without white sox is going naked and that Miller Lite is an actual beer!<br><br>My first acts as President will be dismantling the Department of Homeland Security and replacing it with the Department of Dionysius. Now that guy can party. The god of wine and all other things tasty whether they are wearing a thong or not.<br><br>So do you want four more years of "Bush Sucks" or would you like a different kind of wine? <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mike

'Free?' - 02/01/08 07:08 AM

'Free??' <br><br>Throw in a brandspankin' new MacBook Pro and you got my vote!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Super Tuesday - 02/03/08 12:15 PM

So will this race get decided on Super Tuesday as well?<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/03/08 03:04 PM

OK that Department of Dionysius is really a cheap political ploy...<br><br>I see your Department of Dionysius and raise you a MacBook Pro for everyone !!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/03/08 03:17 PM

Forget momentum, David, you're talking promentum!<br><br>My polls suggest this may well put you over the top!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: Super Tuesday - 02/03/08 03:35 PM

I think it's getting close now. Since Kate threw her votes to polymerase that gives poly 11 votes to DLC's 8 votes. Third place currently goes to 'other' which means unless DLC can convince enough of the other candidates to come over to his side it's polymerase's election for now. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

MMFN Election progress report! - 02/03/08 03:50 PM

It seems since KateSorenson threw her votes to polymerase that puts polymerase in the lead with 11 votes to DLC's 8 votes. Third place goes to 'other' while all other candidates are fighting for fourth place. We here at MMFN (Mac Minute Forum News) forecast if this trend continues this election could be settled by Super Tuesday. We are currently waiting for KateSorenson's people to confirm her decision to drop out of the race. We are also hearing rumors from the DLC campaign that DLC will soon challenge polymerase to a formal debate. In other election news rumors are flying that several or more of the other lower rated candidates are conspiring together to oppose both polymerase and DLC and draft Akula into the race. Stay tuned for further election news on MMFN where all the news is fair and balanced. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/03/08 08:33 PM

I want a new poll if my votes are....er...um I mean, if my vote is going to be thrown to other candidates. I'll take this all the way to Stan if I have to. <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/03/08 08:38 PM

You mean Stan is a . . . Supreme? <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Stan to us in the forum - 02/03/08 09:12 PM

<embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/alc/.Pictures/empty.mov" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Stan to us in the forum - 02/03/08 10:02 PM

And he sings like Diana Ross!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/04/08 05:27 AM

Well I'm running out of options... I thought the MacBook Pro would push me ahead, but so far my numbers haven't budged. <br><br>Oh debate poly ?.... whoa.... I gotta go study... that'll be a tough one. <br><br><br><br><br>David (OFI)

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/04/08 07:30 AM

Double check your numbers, David. You've surged, baby, you've surged. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/04/08 07:39 AM

I think a few chads have fallen !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Bush is right, the surge is working! - 02/04/08 03:35 PM

Oh wait a minute, I got my surges mixed up. Never mind. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

I hope it doesn't turn into another cat fight! - 02/04/08 03:39 PM

It really got nasty with Trog and ichi.<br><br><br><br><br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Now now ichi - 02/04/08 03:57 PM

heh, i thought that was funny.<br><br>(and bumping is hot!)<br><br><br><br><br>"fly peacock, fly."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>

Re: I hope it doesn't turn into another cat fight! - 02/04/08 04:06 PM

I'm kinda like Huckabee. I started off hot and then fizzled out quickly after the immediate voting.<br><br>Yeah, that's it. I'm just like Mike Huckabee.<br><br>

Re: Bush is right, the surge is working! - 02/04/08 06:16 PM

Understandable. It was probably that Elvis Viva commercial. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: Inverted_Flag

Re: MMFN Election progress report! - 02/05/08 11:54 AM

it's the science connection ya know?<br><br>[color:green]I'll never forget the day I noticed weather modification happening: "What nature fearing cheaters."</font color=green>

Election results so far - 02/06/08 07:54 PM

Well folks it looks like DLC has this one tied up unless of course there's a sudden rally behind polymerase or a dark horse candidate arises. We're still trying to confirm the rumors of a 'draft Akula' campaign.<br><br><br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Election results so far - 02/06/08 09:59 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>a 'draft Akula' campaign<p><hr></blockquote><p><br> [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple> [img]http://homepage.mac.com/alc/.Pictures/calvinsurreal.jpg[/img]

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/06/08 10:02 PM

I just gave my vote to DLC bringing him to 16.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/07/08 07:46 AM

Wow thanks.<br><br>I'm stunned folks... <br><br>guess I better put my order in for those 16 MacBook Pros !! ... and 16 cases of Sam Adams <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/07/08 08:00 AM

So, when is this thing official? We're ready for David to fulfill his campaign promises. I'm chilling the mugs right now and I should be working. So for the sake of the nation and free beer . . .?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/07/08 08:23 AM

Is it too late to concede and get in on the free beer? <br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/07/08 08:31 AM

Free beer and sex slaves . . . let's not forget. Impeachment on the horizon . . . .<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/07/08 02:21 PM

16 MacBook Pros !! ... and 16 cases of Sam Adams<br><br>That's good enough for my 3 votes! <br><br><br>

It ends this coming Sunday - 02/07/08 03:34 PM

I figure I'll post the final results after I get home from church. Then we'll have to wait to see if anyone tries to dispute the election. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

You might want to reconsider conceding... - 02/07/08 03:40 PM

...just yet. You currently have 11 votes since Kate supposedly gave you her votes. This means you're in line for the VP spot unless of course DLC has promised that to someone else. Perhaps you should negotiate with DLC for free beer and the VP spot. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: You might want to reconsider conceding... - 02/07/08 04:36 PM

This sounds like a pre-12th amendment election. I'm taking it to the SCOTUS<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: You might want to reconsider conceding... - 02/07/08 05:37 PM

I would not make a good vice president. Given the opportunity to shoot lawyers I would shoot to kill.<br><br><br><br><br>

DLC WINS THE ELECTION!!! - 02/10/08 05:43 PM

Well folks the final results of the first ever MacMinute online election for President are in and DLC wins by a land slide with 17 votes. Polymerase comes in a strong second with 11 votes due to Kate's transfer of her 8 votes. So according to election rules that makes polymerase Vice President unless DLC has other plans or polymerase chooses to turn down the office.<br><br>In the mean time here's a picture of President elect DLC addressing congress upon hearing of his win.<br><br><br>Congratulations President elect DLC! <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: DLC WINS THE ELECTION!!! - 02/10/08 05:48 PM

I would never turn my back to the Dick! <br><br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/10/08 06:08 PM

Don't forget the extra RAM....!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: DLC WINS THE ELECTION!!! - 02/10/08 06:29 PM

<br>AwRIIIIIIIiiiiiiigght! Congrats, David! <br><br><br><br><br><br>Where's the beer? <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/10/08 06:43 PM

WOW,,, thanks to all....<br><br>and Poly you're 1000 X better as VP than they evil ogre behind me.<br><br>No not Nancy ! <br><br>So what's my duties ?<br><br>I promise no tortures.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/10/08 07:00 PM

Do you now have the power to over-rule the mod? <br><br><br>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: First ever MacMinute online election for Presi - 02/10/08 07:19 PM

Can you do something about Killie? <br><br>I don't want her for my sex slave.<br><br>And, I'll have a new macbook pro for the missus, please, and some Guinness. <br><br><br><br>Don't be too circumspective - you'll end up traveling slower than the speed of life.

These are your duties Mr. President elect - 02/10/08 07:34 PM

FromWikipedia.<br><br>Oh yes and you get to travel in this:<br><br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: DLC WINS THE ELECTION!!! - 02/10/08 07:35 PM

<embed src="http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/People/Cheering.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>