Bodies (everywhere)

Posted by: DLC

Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 05:18 PM

The Exhibition- saw that today and it was awesome...<br><br>13 human bodies preserved and dissected to show the intricate workings of the human body. <br><br>Also many other specimens including some spectacular ones you wouldn't believe. The complete blood vessel network of several organs... looked like complex red spider webs. Incredible !!<br><br>IF it comes to your city- DO NOT miss it.<br><br> BODIES <br><br> BODIES 2 <br><br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Trog

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 06:10 PM

Its at the Tropicana here in Vegas. This summer I ran a workshop for incoming freshman in biotechnology. On the last day of the workshop we had lunch down on the strip and went to this exhibit. It was fantastic.<br><br>By the way, if you have any kind of ID to show you are an educator, at any level, you get in free. How's that for an academic discount, drjohn? <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 06:54 PM

Disgusting! Hypernaked bodies in the flesh. Prurient! Where're Ashcroft's curtains when you need 'em! Close down the place and throw away the key.<br><br>But really, it was in Philly already, and I missed it. So sour grapes.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 06:55 PM

I thought I'd throw in Ashcroft so as to naturalize the thread in the Soapbox. <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 07:01 PM

Why can't you be neutral and lay off tha politics like me ??<br><br> <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 07:07 PM

I wish I'd known about the Education discount, I could have qualified. PT-Instructor Georgia Perimiter College.<br><br>Oh well... great exhibit any way.<br><br>I hope it comes back to Philly or maybe Baltimore so you can see it YoYo. Don't miss it if you get a 2nd chance. <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 07:18 PM

How many bodies are there? It's playing at the Boston Museum of Science here right now. Thanks for the dot edu tip. Both my wife and I are freebies then.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 09:06 PM

We spent a good 2-3 hours there. Lots of bodies, lots of parts of bodies.<br><br>The technology of preservation itself is incredible. In some rooms they have complete circulatory systems intact without the rest of the body. Wow.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/27/06 11:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How's that for an academic discount, drjohn?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hmmm...deadbeats viewing the dead. Seems reasonable. <br>Unfortunately, it won't come to my city. Maybe Chicago...in which case I'll still miss it. Oh well, I can always conjure up memories of my school cadaver. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 07:30 AM

I think that one is different though looks just as fascinating.<br>This one was called Bodies - The Exhibition. at the links above.<br>I didn't see Boston as a current location... maybe this is a sequel or maybe a competitor. Either way very fascinating, Poly.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Lea

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 09:57 AM

This one's been a huge hit here in Houston.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Gunther von Hagens' BODY WORLDS 3 Anatomical Exhibition<br><br><br><br>The preservation technique is as astounding as the exhibit. But there was some controversy. Desecration of God's creation and/or "see, this can only be intelligent design." <br><br>Proving that there is nothing on this good earth that people won't argue about.<br><br><br><br> <br><br>[color:blue]. . . . like the devil in the deep blue sea.</font color=blue>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 03:16 PM

I saw that and I think it's a different outfit... <br>probably using the same technique but each competing against each other. <br><br>There were NO bodies at Bodies - The Exhibition other than human ones.<br>The one on the horse looks really neat !!<br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 04:23 PM

Gonna try take my kid to see it tomorrow at the Museum of Science. I showed her the preview on the Museums web site, and the EWWWWWWWWW! that she emitted had "KEWL" written all over it.<br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 06:39 PM

it'll be an event Neither of YOU will ever forget!!<br><br><br>Enjoy !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/28/06 06:45 PM

I wanted to se in in NYC before I moved last Fall, but I just didn't have time. Not gonna let it get away again.<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 04:14 AM

I finally found the time to explore the Link further.<br><br>AMAZING! ThankYou, David. <br>I'd heard about this exhibit almost a year ago,<br>but you lit the curiosity nerve with this one! <br>It's currently exhibited at The South St. SeaPort<br>in NYC. I'll try to arrange a trip in to catch it.<br><center>*[color:purple]klk</font color=purple>*<br><br><br><h2>[color:purple]BB-QT.mov-1</font color=purple></h2><br><h2>[color:purple]BB-QT.mov-2</font color=purple></h2><br><br></center><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 04:57 AM

According to the Official Website:<br><br><br><br><br>There are 3 Different Exhibits making the rounds.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 07:17 AM

I don't recall if i'd posted these links here<br>I posted them to 2 of my education-oriented forums:<br><br>National Library of Medicine: HOME<br><br>National Library of Medicine: EXHIBITIONS<br><br>National Library of Medicine: The Visible Body Project<br><br>FORENSIC SCIENCE<br><br>UCHSC: University of Colorado Human Simulation Center<br><br>UCHSC: VISIBLE HUMAN EXPERIENCE<br><br>UCHSC: GALLERY<br><br>UCHSC: GALLERY: Anatomical Visualization, Inc<br><br>The NPAC/OLDA: Visible Human Viewer<br><br>The NPAC/OLDA: Visible Human Viewer: MOVIE<br><br>EXPORATORIUM: Visible Body: Joseph Paul Jernigan<br><br>The VISIBLE Man: Joseph Paul Jernigan<br><br>The male cadaver is from Joseph Paul Jernigan, a 38-year-old Texas<br> murderer who was executed by lethal injection on August 5, 1993. At <br>the prompting of a prison chaplain he had agreed to donate his body <br>for scientific research or medical use, without knowing about the Visible <br>Human Project. Some people have voiced ethical concerns over this.<br><br>The prisoner sat on death row, hoping for life. His had not been a good one<br> so far. Booted out of the Army for drug use, Joseph Paul Jernigan, of <br>Waco, Tex., turned to robbery. When surprised in the act of stealing a <br>microwave oven, Jernigan stabbed Edward Hale, 75, then killed him with <br>Hale's own shotgun. "I know I did wrong," Jernigan said. "I have no one to <br>blame but myself." Sentenced to death in 1981, he spent 12 years in prison <br>before his final plea for clemency was denied. The next day, the 38-year-<br>old ate his last meal--two cheeseburgers, fries and iced tea. At 12:31 a.m. <br>on August 5, 1993, a lethal dose of potassium chloride ran through a <br>catheter into his arm. "I'm glad it's over," said his victim's nephew. "He<br> won't be back on the street." But Jernigan is back. In an electronic afterlife, <br>he haunts Hollywood studios and NASA labs, high schools and hospitals. <br>And in death, he may finally do something good for humanity. :innocent: <br><br>BON APPETITE' <br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 07:47 AM

I don't know all the details . but one does wonder the arrangements made with all those who's bodies we now see. <br>Bodies the Exhibition were all oriental, and someone said from China. So were these indigents, convicts, unclaimed bodies in a morgue?<br><br>I think thera ARE ethical issues - whether they have been addressed is open.<br><br>Weird about that murderer, Jernigan... creepy. <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 09:11 AM

They claim the cadavers are "Donated" assumedly as an<br> "Advance Directive" on the part of the "former occupant".<br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 09:22 AM

Aye, a close acquaintance is a Sci Fi Writer.<br>I suggested he use that as a premise for a novella.<br>Kind of a "Monster In the Machine" thing;<br>...A Convicted/Executed Murderer, that inhabits <br>Cyber-Space using students etc that inadvertently<br>"summon" up Jernigan's spirit whenever they do <br>a search for, and peruse/use the images of his body <br>that no longer exists in the real world.<br><br>I guess the thought occurred to me about the time <br>that I was perusing the images.....mmmm...yeah... "creepy"<br><br>I think the part that creeped me out was the manner <br>by which the process was preformed over a relatively<br>long period of time. <br><br>Milled to raw hamburger a millimeter at a time, and<br>dripping down the walls while some jagoff takes pictures, <br>wouldn't be my personal preference of "what to do with"!<br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 11:41 AM

There was an old episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery where a surgeon teaching at a local medical school took cadavers from these 2 shady characters - sight unseen and No questions asked. The setting was in the late 1800s. He suspected they were either stealing them or killing people to get the bounty he paid, but he was one cold hearted SOB and didn't care!<br><br>A local lady's husband came up missing and his body was sold to the Dr by the 2 creepy guys and put in the Dr's lab. The police started snooping around the med school so the Dr told these 2 creeps to get him another body very quickly so he could satisfy the inspector when he came, that he'd never seen this lady's husband. They produced one 20 minutes later and the Dr took it (under sheets) sight unseen and No questions asked.<br><br>As he begn to lecture, the police inspector entered his lab and asked about the lady's husband and he cockily denied he'd never seen him. So the Inspector asked to see the body he was going to dissect that night for class and the Dr agreeed. When he pulled back the sheet back, there was his fiancee dead as a door nail on the gurney. The expression of horror on his face ! <br><br>sorry for the long story but it was a neat episode ! a Sterling "classic" !! <br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 01:56 PM

LOL Luckily, I don't "creep-out" easily.<br><br>For one thing, I come from a family of morticians<br>(a very respectable trade in Alabama)<br>For another, I live directly across the street from<br>the town cemetery. I park my vehicle less than <br>5 ft from "my closest neighbor" every day (& night)<br><br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 04:18 PM

Never made it yesterday. She stayed up all night to watch some silly movie marathon and I couldn't wake her up with a canon. Today was the final BTS shopping trip (got her an iPod Nano), and tomorrow we're taking a ride to the Cape. So I guess I'll try again over the weekend.<br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 07:34 PM

Not that you'd ever invite me ... <br><br>but I'm NOT spending a night at your house !! <br><br>I saw Poltergeist !!<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/30/06 09:47 PM

LOL It used to freak me out a bit (when I was like 5 y.o.)<br>that my favorite Uncle used to have caskets in his basement.<br><br>But in reality, living across from the Graveyard only gave me <br>"the heebie-jeebies" once in the 12 years that I've lived here, <br>and that was most likely baseless, considering that there was<br>nothing or no one there that I could actually see... still I couldn't<br>get across the street fast enough to suit me, nor get my key in <br>the lock soon enough for my liking that night.<br><br>My beaufriend refuses to go into graveyards unless it's for a funeral.<br>I finally asked him why, and he gave an answer that's stayed with <br>me ever since. He said; "Think of going to Yankee Stadium. Imagine<br>it's full of people. If you closed your eyes... even if no one made a <br>sound... you'd still be aware that you were surrounded by people.<br>That's how I feel when I'm in a cemetery."<br><br>That night, I sensed a presence, even though there was no one there.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/31/06 04:46 AM

<br>Apparently, I'm getting a New Neighbour <br><br><br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 08/31/06 09:44 AM

well at least they woun't be noisy ones with screaming kids !!<br><br><br>well I hope not, for your sake !! <br><br><br>Your neighbors are a bunch of "stiffs" !! <br><br>(no offense to the 'dead')<br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 09/04/06 01:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>well at least they won't be noisy ones with screaming kids !!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>no, no screaming kids<br>but today there was Rifle Fire & Bagpipes <br>...that means another policemen had been killed. <br><br>.<br><br>

Re: Bodies (everywhere) - 09/04/06 11:14 AM

oh man-.... that's bad... or could be fireman... <br><br>but you sadly get to see/ hear every one.<br><br><br><br><br><br>David (OFI)