The United States of Girlie Men

Posted by: Anonymous

The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 12:31 PM

CEREDO, West Virgina (AP) -- A West Virginia airport terminal was evacuated <br>Thursday afternoon after a bomb-sniffing dog reacted to a bottle filled with a <br>liquid in a passenger's luggage, an airport official said.<br><br>A screener noticed the bottle in a woman's carry-on bag as she prepared to <br>board a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina, said Tri-State Airport authority <br>President Jim Booton.<br><br>http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/17/airport.evac.ap/index.html<br><br>---------------------------------------<br><br>Yes that's right, 'shampoo' will evacuate an airport. What's next? Will a 'Terrorist'<br>plot be exposed where the 'Terrorists' plan on using their shadows to blow up<br>planes.<br><br>If that happens you can rest assured airports will be evacuated if security spots<br>their own shadow.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>
Posted by: garyW

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 12:37 PM

What's next...will this do?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 01:04 PM

Waaaaahhhh! There are bad people out there that want to hurt us! Let's make our life hell. That'll show 'em!<br><br>And there is bird flu and heart disease. SARS and anthrax letters. Gays wanting to kill fetuses with burning flags...<br><br>Half of us here will probably get killed in a good 'ol fashioned automobile accident or, if we're lucky to live long enough, die of cancer. Unless you get some of Gary's liquid gel breasts actually implanted under the skin. Then you can forget the auto accident... you'll get cancer first.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 01:09 PM

my what???!!!??? [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/wwwthreads/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 01:12 PM

You know. Your gooey boobies, or whatever your post called them.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 01:48 PM

EXPLODING BOOBIES!!! Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 01:55 PM

This nonsense keeps up and the terrorists have won... ;all they need do is let a plan slip out and thousands of tourists and millions of $$ will be diverted or wasted. I posted an article earlier... I'm still not certain this threat was real or hypothetical.&#13;&#10;&#13;&#10;David (OFI)&#13;&#10;

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:00 PM

<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:03 PM

Actually it was a water bottle - that tested positive twice.<br><br>So are security agents just supposed to let passengers on board with items that test positive for explosives?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:12 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Actually it was a water bottle - that tested positive twice.<br><br>So are security agents just supposed to let passengers on board with items that test positive for explosives?<p><hr></blockquote><p>CNN updated the story since I posted the link to include the water bottle<br>and tests.<br><br>Common sense tells me that this water bottle will be nothing but a water<br>bottle by the time the 'investigation' is fully concluded.<br><br>Next time you're in a grocery store, duck for cover - there's rows of water<br>bottles that haven't been tested for explosives.<br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Common sense tells me that this water bottle will be nothing but a water bottle by the time the 'investigation' is fully concluded.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>that's as maybe, but isn't it prudent to investigate positive explosive test results. Not like this woman was profiled, and she was dumb enough to ignore the travel advisory to check liquids. And if the "water" had been an explosive and a plane had been blow up then what?<br><br>I seem to recall the praise some overzealous border guard on the Canadian border back in late 2000 received for stopping some guy - who just happened to be planning to set off explosives at LAX...... well that was the official story.<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:32 PM

Yes, it most likely will be just a water bottle, so what? Most likely she takes Nitroglycerine for her heart. People who take nitro will frequently set off explosives detectors, esp. items like shoes where they sweat. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be detained. Especially if a dog reacts, because dogs don't react to trace amounts like a swab test would.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Next time you're in a grocery store, duck for cover - there's rows of waterbottles that haven't been tested for explosives.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And unfortunately like this board, there are people with lame senses of humor.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 02:46 PM

What would Maynard say, eh?<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: djstefan

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 04:14 PM

This is just small propaganda. The UK and US are up to something agian and started preparing the population. Hope that not many will die this time.<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...
Posted by: Celandine

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/17/06 10:30 PM

"WERK!!!!!"<br><br>Mr. Krebs. (a pre-hippy "beatnik") was allegedly allergic even to the word!<br>In the earliest episodes of "Dobie Gillis" when Dobie's dad even mentioned<br>the word (no matter the context) Maynard would chirp "WERK!!!" in response.<br><br>GEEZUS PLEASUS<br>...and if THAT 'S Not dating myself, NOTHING is...<br><br><br>'cept maybe "Rudy Kazooty"!<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 04:50 AM

Update on news story:<br><br>[color:blue]Chemical tests later Thursday turned up no explosives in the bottles, said <br>Capt. Jack Chambers, head of the State Police Special Operations unit. The <br>airport was reopened after nearly 10 hours.</font color=blue><br><br>Yup, the Terrorists have won. Bottled water will close down an airport for<br>10 hours.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 06:07 AM

I'll grant you that people are now jumping at their own shadows. Even the veracity of the U.K bust is now questionable. Thew whole thing seems utterly ridiculous. But, there could have been an explosive in that water bottle. If something in the bottle tripped a sensor, don't you think it's wise to evaluate it and dismiss the threat? To say we're being "girlie men" is no different then "Bring 'em on!". Despite all the gaffs we've seen, you just can't be cavalier with people's lives and safety. I was living in Manhattan last year when the NYPD started that random security screening in the subway system. A PIA, yes. But better safe than sorry.<br><br>The terrorists are undoubtedly laughing at us. No question about it, IMHO. But have they really won? Maybe when they do manage to blow up another plane or bring down another landmark.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 06:43 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>you just can't be cavalier with people's lives and safety<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hypocrites like IC would be the first one to cry foul when a test reveals something could be explosive, but the security agent lets the person through because "it just looked like bottled water", but in reality is a nice acetone concoction that blows a hole in the side of a plane.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 06:54 AM

Even if you concede that we've largely created this environment as a result of our totally fukkedup foreign policy and Keystone Cops approach to national security, the situation none-the-less exists, and has to be taken seriously.<br><br>The next time over-reaction stops a real threat, the Boyz in Qlub Qaeda will stop chuckling in a hurry. Until the next attempt, anyway.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 06:56 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Despite all the gaffs we've seen, you just can't be cavalier with people's lives and safety.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not to sound morbid, but the odds of dying are 100% or 1 in 1. The leading <br>causes of death are - <br><br>Heart Disease - 1 in 5<br>Cancer - 1 in 7<br>Stroke - 1 in 24<br>Motor Vehicle Accident - 1 in 84<br>Suicide - 1 in 119<br>Falling - 1 in 218<br>Firearm Assault - 1 in 314<br>Pedestrian Accident - 1 in 626<br>Drowning - 1 in 1006<br>Motorcycle Accident - 1 in 1020<br>Fire or smoke - 1 in 1113<br>Bicycle accident - 1 in 4919<br>Air/Space Accident - 1 in 5051<br>Accidental firearm discharge - 1 in 5134<br>Accidental electrocution - 1 in 9968<br>Alcohol poisoning - 1 in 10,048<br>Hot weather - 1 in 13,729<br>Hornet, wasp or bee sting - 1 in 56,789<br>Legal Execution - 1 in 62,468<br>Lightning - 1 in 79,746<br>Earthquake - 1 in 117,127<br>Flood - 1 in 114,156<br>Fireworks discharge - 1 in 340,733<br><br>source - August 2006, National Geographic<br><br>Dying from a terrorist attack is not even on the list. But at the bottom<br>is Fireworks discharge, which we cavalierly celebrate every July 4th despite<br>the risk of death <br><br>Makes you wonder why 300 billion dollars is spent on a war when it could<br>be spent on some of the more important leading causes of death, like let's <br>say the top two. <br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:00 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hypocrites like IC would be the first one to cry foul<p><hr></blockquote><p>Actually, I would rather travel in freedom and make friends around the world.<br><br>If I die in the one in a million chance that some angry person blew up the plane<br>I was flying in, it was well worth the risk of living freely and peacefully.<br><br>Testing water bottles for explosives is right up there on 'We've lost our minds<br>and freedom' list.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:03 AM

PARDON THE C/P I'm not sure that this is a permanent link,<br>But one sentence jumped out at me, and I thought I'd just mention it:<br><br>Suspicious Liquid Found at W.Va. Airport<br> By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER<br> Associated Press Writer<br> August 18, 2006, 2:20 AM EDT<br> <br> CEREDO, W.Va. -- A West Virginia airport terminal was evacuated Thursday after two bottles of liquid found in a woman's carry-on luggage twice tested positive for explosives residue, a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman said. <br><br>Chemical tests later Thursday turned up no explosives in the bottles, said Capt. Jack Chambers, head of the State Police Special Operations unit. The airport was reopened after nearly 10 hours. <br><br>"It looks like there were four items containing liquids," said TSA spokeswoman Amy von Walter. A machine that security checkpoint screeners use to test for explosives registered positive results for two containers, and a canine team also got a positive hit, she said. <br><br>The TSA screening looks for a range of explosives residue, some of which can be found on common household items, said TSA spokesman Darrin Kayser. <br><br>Airport manager Larry Salyers said he was told the woman was a 28-year-old of Pakistani descent who had moved to West Virginia from Jackson, Mich. <br><br>No charges were filed against the woman, who was taken from the airport by federal authorities at 5 p.m., Salyers said. <br><br>The woman was cooperative, officials said. <br><br>The woman's mother told the Associated Press that her daughter, who is four months pregnant and lives in Barboursville, W.Va., was targeted because of her nationality and Islamic headcover. <br><br>"It was not only a false alarm, it was racial discrimination because there was nothing," Mian Qayyum said, refusing to name her daughter. <br><br>"She just had water to drink because she is pregnant [color:red]and she had a face wash that had a drop of bleach on it</font color=red>," Qayyum said from her home in Jackson. <br><br>The FBI did not immediately return messages Thursday night seeking comment on the racial profiling allegations. <br><br>A screener noticed a bottle in a woman's carry-on bag as she was going through security before her 9:15 a.m. flight to Charlotte, N.C., said Tri-State Airport Authority President Jim Booton. <br><br>One bottle contained a gel-type facial cleanser, FBI spokesman Jeff Killeen said. <br><br>"Anytime a prohibited item is brought to a checkpoint, then you are going to be immediately more interested in that bag," Kayser said. <br><br>The woman had purchased a one-way ticket to Detroit by way of Charlotte on Wednesday, Salyers said. <br><br>The flight was allowed to leave for Charlotte, and the terminal was evacuated at 11:25 a.m., officials said. <br><br>Commercial airline service was suspended, and about 100 passengers and airport employees were ordered to leave the terminal, Booton said. <br><br>Two airlines -- Comair and US Airways Express -- serve the airport. <br><br>After the evacuation, many passengers decided to stay and wait it out. <br><br>"We bought them pizza, soft drinks ... tried to make them comfortable as could be in this situation," Salyers said. "We had them in the parking lot, under trees, in conference rooms, the firehouse." <br><br>U.S. authorities banned the carrying of liquids onto flights last week after British officials made arrests in an alleged plot to blow up U.S.-bound planes using explosives disguised as drinks and other common products. <br><br>Joy and John Cloutre of Ulysses, Ky., were waiting to begin the first leg of their trip to the southeast Asian country of Brunei when the evacuation order came. <br><br>Joy Cloutre told the Herald Dispatch of Huntington that her family didn't want her to leave because of terrorism in the region. "And then we don't even get out of Huntington without something like this happening." <br><br>Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.<br>---------------------------------------<br><br>QUESTION: WHY did she have a drop of BLEACH on a Face Wash (cloth(?))<br><br>My question is only relevant when you are aware of & take into consideration <br>the LIST of COMMON HOUSEHOLD SUBSTANCES that was Available for YEARS <br>Published in a series of pamphlets Called the "THE CIA BOOK OF DIRTY TRICKS"<br><br>QUESTION: Was this woman that Fits EVERY Criteria of the PERFECT FOIL to be<br>UTILIZED for the Specific Purpose of Propaganda to Ridicule the Entire System?<br><br>CONCERN: "the CRY WOLF SYNDROME" Works For & Against BOTH SIDES, <br>Since we have become conditioned to be prepared to trust NEITHER "SIDE"<br>... It leaves the Public twisting in the wind, ...filled with doubt & uncertainty. <br><br><br>THANX <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:08 AM

So, because it's not on the list, we shold just say "pfffffft" ? I don't see skiing accidents listed either. Or snowmobiling. Or avalanche or rock/mud slide. I don't see construction site accidents on the list. Does it have to be on a list before it has any importance to you?<br><br>You're usually pretty well armed with facts and a rational, IC. But I think you missed the barn door on this one.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:13 AM

Actually I agree with that most of all,<br>Living in fear is simply no way to live.<br><br>I.T.M.C.<br>I'll Take My Chances.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So, because it's not on the list, we shold just say "pfffffft" ?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> But I think you missed the barn door on this one.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I don't think so. I did state the odds of dying are 1 in 1. We are all going<br>to die. How we live our life while living is the only thing we can control.<br><br>If we are going to spend our treasure and time preventing death then we <br>should spend it where it would do the most good, such as heart disease,<br>cancer and stroke.<br><br>Running around scared of what a terrorist might do next and closing down<br>an airport because of a water bottle makes us Girlie Men.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:37 AM

Oooo you are such a Manly Man!<br><br>Hey, live your life as you see fit. And I sincerely hope you get to live it to the fullest extent.<br><br>Regarding cancer, heart disease (you forgot AIDS), and every other major health issue: These things are not exactly ignored. Could more money and effort be invested? Of course. But some pretty robust battles are being (and have been) fought every day against these diseases. To say otherwise is a real slap in the face to the soldiers in those "wars".<br><br>
Posted by: Terry11

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 07:57 AM

This country would never consider overextending itself financially to cure a disease! We only do that for wars...<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:05 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/al-k...2.html?from=rss<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:17 AM

LOL I suppose it helps to remember to keep your sensaumma about it all. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:18 AM

we flew back from denver on monday afternoon. when we went through security, my son (age 4) had a canteen he bought when we were hiking in the rockies. i told him to empty it and i saw that he was doing that in the hotel room. what i didn't know is that he promptly filled it back up in case he got thirsty on the plane. well, security caught it in his bag. they freaked. i had to beg them not to throw it away. finally, security told me i could exit the security area and empty the contents and then come back in. they even gave me a certificate to enter where the pilots enter so i wouldn't have to stand in line. i existed and went around a corner to a bathroom. i emptied the canteen and went back with my certificate. they didn't make me remove my shoes; they didn't check the canteen to see that i emptied it; they didn't even pay attention to me once they saw the certificate. i just walked through and joined my family and continued right along. <br><br>i wonder if a terrorist could easily make one of those certificates and breeze right past security? it sure made me nervous thinking about it.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:35 AM

^ that's a point of interest.<br><br>Was it laxness that allowed all other terrorist acts to occur?<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:38 AM

<br>Yeah, this is going to be a mess.<br>The Loss of Trust is Devastating.<br>Not knowing who to trust or believe <br>makes a bad situation a 100X worse.<br><br>Again, I say, it works For & Against<br>BOTH Sides, leaving us to deal with it.<br><br>What a MESS!<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:46 AM

that's spelled sensayuma ;)<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 08:58 AM

<center><br><br><br><br></center><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 09:10 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Not to sound morbid, but the odds of dying are 100% or 1 in 1.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Then why give a [censored] about people killed by bombs?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 09:29 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Then why give a [censored] about people killed by bombs?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Just because the odds are 100% that we are all going to die, that doesn't mean<br>anyone can murder someone else because they were going to die anyways.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 10:02 AM

If there are indications that a threat exists, and an attack still occurs, yes, it's laxness. In the case of 9/11, it was borderline criminal negligence.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 10:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Just because the odds are 100% that we are all going to die, that doesn't mean anyone can murder someone else because they were going to die anyways.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Quite the paradox you paint. It's not okay to kill someone intentionally, but it's okay to potentially let people be killed intentionally?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 10:28 AM

Pssst. Sgt. You're peeing into the wind. <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 10:29 AM

Yeah, I know he amuses me. For now.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 10:32 AM

true<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 12:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Quite the paradox you paint. It's not okay to kill someone intentionally, but it's okay to potentially let people be killed intentionally?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Are we still talking about bottled water?<br><br>I'm all for a metal detector to stop handguns on a plane, but we are now at<br>the point where in West Virginia a 1 hour flight to South Carolina is being checked<br>for explosives in bottled water.<br><br>You seriously can't believe that there is any real threat of terrorists using<br>sophisticated explosives to down a commuter plane from WV to SC?<br><br>How remote and bizarre does a potential threat have to be, before you say<br>to yourself - "This is total nonsense".<br><br>How about if a terroist cell was exposed that was going to use explosive toupees? <br>Would you expect security to prove to every man, woman and child<br>they are not wearing a hairpiece before entering a plane?<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 12:12 PM

There's nothing remote or bizarre about liquid or gel explosive materials. For the moment, there is the possibility that they could be used. And if someone found a way to impregnate toupee adhesive with C4, you better believe they should be checking anyone wearing a rug.<br><br>Last week you were carpet bombing the board with daily outrage updates about the carnage in Lebanon. And in hindsight, justifiably. But if say 30 people were to die because a water bottle full of nitro brought down a commuter plane, that would be no big deal?<br><br>And you accused me of being inconsistent? <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 12:35 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And if someone found a way to impregnate toupee adhesive with C4, you better believe they should be checking anyone wearing a rug.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>The question was, should security check every man, woman and child for <br>a hairpiece?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Last week you were carpet bombing the board with daily outrage updates about the carnage in Lebanon. And in hindsight, justifiably. But if say 30 people were to die because a water bottle full of nitro brought down a commuter plane, that would be no big deal?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>You are comparing real people dying to a hypothetical scenario?<br><br>By the way, I kept the updates to Lebanon in one thread, I'd hardly call it<br>carpet bombing the board.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 01:19 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The question was, should security check every man, woman and child for a hairpiece?<p><hr></blockquote><p> Of course not! But given that even the most expensive toupees and wigs are easily spotted most of the time, it's a matter of checking that which carries it's own alert. You see a guy with a rug, you take a closer look (I don't believe I'm even defending this kakamaimie premise). Likewise, not every passenger is going to be carrying a water bottle. But those that are, get screened. I just don't get what your problem is with playing it safe.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You are comparing real people dying to a hypothetical scenario?<p><hr></blockquote><p>It's only hypothetical 'til it happens.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>By the way, I kept the updates to Lebanon in one thread, I'd hardly call it carpet bombing the board.<p><hr></blockquote><p> Pardon me. I should have said you kept bumping the thread to the top of the page. My bad. You keep splitting hairs like that and you're gonna need a toupee! <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 01:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I should have said you kept bumping the thread to the top of the page.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I believe that's the way the software works here at this discussion board. I didn't<br>see an option to not bump the thread back up to top. Every post I made I thought<br>was new and different information.<br><br>Of course, you seemed to made your share of replies in that thread, bumping<br>it up to top as well. Also, several other posters replied and bumped the<br>thread up to the top as well.<br><br>So the thread was busy bumping up to the top of the board. Oh my gosh,<br>I just realized this thread is going be bumped up to the top after this reply<br>as well.<br><br>What's your point anyways? What are you really trying to say?<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 02:21 PM

There's absolutely nothing sophisticated or even remotely difficult about putting explosives in a liquid container. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How remote and bizarre does a potential threat have to be, before you say<br>to yourself - "This is total nonsense".<p><hr></blockquote><p> <br><br>Is that what you would have said about explosives in a shoe?<br><br>No matter how you try to spin it, an explosives sniffing dog was alerted, period. I don't care if this was a bottle of water, a belt, a radio or a crapped in baby diaper. The dog smelled something suspicious, and subsequent tests indicated there could be a problem. <br><br>No matter how many people try to bitch and moan about profiling, or fear tactics, or whatever gripe they might have the fact is letting someone through who's alerted a security dog and failed preliminary swab test for explosives would and should be considered criminal negligence.<br><br>What you're saying should be done is just let anyone through because 99% of the time it will be a false positive. That leaves 1% of the time it won't be a false positive.<br><br>Maybe you'll be luck enough to be on the plane where the 1% falls, because if that's how you think than you deserve to be on it.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 02:25 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Makes you wonder why 300 billion dollars is spent on a war when it could<br>be spent on some of the more important leading causes of death, like let's <br>say the top two. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>War is more profitable.<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 02:31 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>War is more profitable.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And a hell of a lot more fun!<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 03:15 PM

whoa!<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 03:28 PM

Oy... I think I've been pretty clear from the git-go. But you're so damned certain that your POV is where the debate stops, and you're so busy throwing up smoke screens, you have no idea what I've been saying. <br><br>I fold. May your frequent flyer miles never expire. May you never see another metal detector. And may God help you if someone with an exploding toupee is in the aisle seat next to you.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 05:32 PM

<br>Funny, it seems to me that he's been very polite and informative<br>throughout his time in this forum, unlike you, that started tossing<br>insults and wise cracks at him since either his first or second post. <br><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 05:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I believe that's the way the software works here at this discussion board. I didn't<br>see an option to not bump the thread back up to top. Every post I made I thought<br>was new and different information.<br><br>Of course, you seemed to made your share of replies in that thread, bumping<br>it up to top as well. Also, several other posters replied and bumped the<br>thread up to the top as well.<br><br>So the thread was busy bumping up to the top of the board. Oh my gosh,<br>I just realized this thread is going be bumped up to the top after this reply<br>as well.<br><br>What's your point anyways? What are you really trying to say?<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's a Smoke Screen? ...in answer to your rude remark?<br><br>huh, go figure. <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/18/06 09:44 PM

<br><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 06:17 AM

Great... fantastic !!<br><br>Another Terrorist threat thwarted by the astute Bush-Blair Administrations.<br><br>See all you liberal "nay-sayers" ... it works !!<br><br>no hair-gel.... NO Osama !!<br><br><br><br><br>course they could have addressed this problem years ago by banning camels on airplanes !!!<br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 06:17 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>There's absolutely nothing sophisticated or even remotely difficult about putting explosives in a liquid container. <p><hr></blockquote><p>I am an explosives expert and there is no way I would try to put water into a liquid container.. containers for liquids should be solid.<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 06:22 AM

yeah I agree TreeBeard...<br><br>those liquid containers are damm slippery...<br><br>one slip and BOOM !!! <br><br><br>smart -alec !! he , he , he<br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 06:47 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Is that what you would have said about explosives in a shoe?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Actually, I think it's pretty silly that security is asking people to take off their<br>shoes. Even Barbara Walters had to take off her shoes and the security<br>guard recognized her.<br><br>And about the explosive sniffing dog. What explosive did the dog actually<br>sniff? Or the test kit, what explosive did the test kit actually detect?<br><br>Seems security would be better off using divining rods to detect the difference<br>between water and explosive.<br><br>As I said, I think the chances are so slim and remote that we are wasting<br>away our time and spending needless amounts of money. <br><br>If I get on plane there is a greater chance the plane will crash due to pilot<br>error, mechanical failure or weather. Adding the possibility of a plane<br>crashing because of terrorist attack doesn't increase the odds.<br><br>If terrorism is meant to put us in fear, then it's working the moment we add<br>another security check for yet another way a terrorist could blow up a plane,<br>while ignoring common sense.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 06:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Oy... I think I've been pretty clear from the git-go. But you're so damned certain that your POV is where the debate stops, and you're so busy throwing up smoke screens, you have no idea what I've been saying. <br><br>I fold. May your frequent flyer miles never expire. May you never see another metal detector. And may God help you if someone with an exploding toupee is in the aisle seat next to you.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Sorry you feel that way. I believe this board is the place to debate political<br>issues. If you feel you can't express your viewpoint properly, then I have a<br>suggestion - Rather than post your opinions in just about every thread, pick<br>an opinion that is important to you and take the time to craft a response.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 07:27 AM

Great. Thanks for the Forum 101 lesson. And from now on, I'll check in with you to see what threads you'll allow me to post in, and then I'll have you vet the post before I nail it up on the board. That work for you?<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 07:38 AM

I believe he said "take your time to craft a response". I think he meant he wanted to hear something cohesive from your so called opine.<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 09:05 AM

Amazing, ain't it? If the "opine" rendered is counter to your's, it somehow lacks cohesion. If an "opine" is not in sync with whatever floats your boat at the moment, it's without "craft". And if one is willing to speak to more than one side of an issue, they have a "forked tongue". For all the whining your "club" does about others trying to squash your opinions, you 're pretty adept at it yourself. Gotta watch those glass houses, TB.<br><br>Sorry, I certainly hope that wasn't too coquettish for you. And feel free not to reply. Or do. Whatever pleases you.<br><br>In the meantime, I have to iron my Israel apron and hone my Yiddish debating skills. But I won't be shutting up anytime soon just to help you manage your expectations.<br><br>So there are no Jews in your little village *even though they're welcome*? Gee. I wonder why...<br><br>*waits for the playing the anti-Semite card again admonition from what's her name*<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 09:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If terrorism is meant to put us in fear,<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Congratulations, I think that earns you a passing grade in Terrorism 101.<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 10:43 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>then it's working the moment we add<br>another security check for yet another way a terrorist could blow up a plane,<br>while ignoring common sense.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Unlike You who FAILED <br>to acknowledge the complete statement.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 10:59 AM

*waits for the playing the anti-Semite card again admonition from what's her name*<br><br> <br>and that would be the "ANTI-ANTI-SEMITE Card"<br>Stop being an A-Hole that needs to hide behind a religion<br>to keep people from pounding you into the ground like a tent peg. <br><br>GAH! you're like a little brat that hides behind mommie's apron<br>sticking his tongue out at his little brother that's getting yelled at<br>after having been provoked into giving you a well-deserved *pinch*!<br><br>And PLEEEEEEEZE? STOP with the: <br>"I Know What YOU ARE ~ But What Am I?"<br>"I Know What YOU ARE ~ But What Am I?"<br>"I Know What YOU ARE ~ But What Am I?" PeeWeeHerman Crap. <br><br>Don't you get it?!? The reason there's almost none of those Dummies<br>still in existence today, is because NORMAL people found them SO Annoying<br>that they Dashed Their Little Plastic Heads Against Their BedPosts YEARS Ago!<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Celandine on 08/19/06 02:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: watcher

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/19/06 10:34 PM

There is one etiquette here and that is we are all here to try and exist in peace and enjoy this lucky country with all the wonderful people from all the nations of the world..

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 11:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And about the explosive sniffing dog. What explosive did the dog actually<br>sniff? Or the test kit, what explosive did the test kit actually detect?<p><hr></blockquote><p> <br>.<br>the dog smelled bleach. <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 11:29 AM

Considering the amount of acetone and hair bleach you can put into water bottles is enough to blow the tail section off a plane, common sense says we were nothing but lucky up until now.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 12:12 PM

Yes and we're damm lucky none of those cargo containers they DON'T inspect ( both maritime and air cargo) have not had bad things in them either.<br><br>And That's one reason you shouldn't go around the world bullying other people and acting like you're the fscking Galactic Empire !! <br><br>You're sitting yourself up for others to "Bring it on " !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 12:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Considering the amount of acetone and hair bleach you can put into water bottles is enough to blow the tail section off a plane, common sense says we were nothing but lucky up until now.<p><hr></blockquote><p><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>the dog smelled bleach.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Are you suggesting that a would be terrorist is going to carry acetone and bleach and whatever other equipment is needed and make a bomb on the plane that is flying from WV to SC?<br><br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone_peroxide<br><br>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/<br><br>[color:blue]Once the plane is over the ocean, very discreetly bring all of your gear <br>into the toilet. You might need to make several trips to avoid drawing <br>attention. Once your kit is in place, put a beaker containing the peroxide / <br>acetone mixture into the ice water bath (Champagne bucket), and start <br>adding the acid, drop by drop, while stirring constantly. Watch the reaction <br>temperature carefully. The mixture will heat, and if it gets too hot, you'll end <br>up with a weak explosive. In fact, if it gets really hot, you'll get a premature <br>explosion possibly sufficient to kill you, but probably no one else.<br><br>After a few hours - assuming, by some miracle, that the fumes haven't <br>overcome you or alerted passengers or the flight crew to your activities - <br>you'll have a quantity of TATP with which to carry out your mission. Now all <br>you need to do is dry it for an hour or two.</font color=blue><br><br>Hardly something you could do in a commuter flight from WV to SC.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 12:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yes and we're damm lucky none of those cargo containers they DON'T inspect ( both maritime and air cargo) have not had bad things in them either.<br><br>And That's one reason you shouldn't go around the world bullying other people and acting like you're the fscking Galactic Empire !! <br><br>You're sitting yourself up for others to "Bring it on " !!<p><hr></blockquote><p>No Kidding. Also there are probably enough unaccounted for shoulder fired<br>surface to air missiles around that could easily bring down a passenger jet<br>on final approach or take off.<br><br>And the would-be terrorist firing it, doesn't need to be a suicide bomber.<br><br>There are more ways to bring down a plane than ways we can have security<br>check passenger entering a plane. Taking off our shoes before boarding isn't<br>going to make us safer.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 12:39 PM

Agreed. Now if these terrorists were just a bit smarter, they wouldn't kill themselves in stupid suicide missions. They could just make a small bomb in a luggage that gets checked and if it passes, then just push a button from anywhere on earth and have the luggage explode. With the current gps and radio technology, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate something like that. <br><br>The question now is what do you call the act of using terrorism as a propaganda tool in order to scare people?<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 01:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The question now is what do you call the act of using terrorism as a propaganda tool in order to scare people?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>*DING* <br><br>...And The man Wins a Cheroot! <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 02:17 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Taking off our shoes before boarding isn't<br>going to make us safer. <p><hr></blockquote><p> <br><br>No you're quite right IronChef...<br><br>but it sure helps my stock in Dr Schoals!! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 02:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The question now is what do you call the act of using terrorism as a propaganda tool in order to scare people? <p><hr></blockquote><p> <br><br>I dunmo .. Celandine - I'd call that Bush's Domestic Policy !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 02:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Not to sound morbid, but the odds of dying are 100% or 1 in 1. The leading <br>causes of death are - <br><br>Heart Disease - 1 in 5<br>Cancer - 1 in 7<br>Stroke - 1 in 24<br>Motor Vehicle Accident - 1 in 84<br>Suicide - 1 in 119<br>Falling - 1 in 218<br>Firearm Assault - 1 in 314<br>Pedestrian Accident - 1 in 626<br>Drowning - 1 in 1006<br>Motorcycle Accident - 1 in 1020<br>Fire or smoke - 1 in 1113<br>Bicycle accident - 1 in 4919<br>Air/Space Accident - 1 in 5051<br>Accidental firearm discharge - 1 in 5134<br>Accidental electrocution - 1 in 9968<br>Alcohol poisoning - 1 in 10,048<br>Hot weather - 1 in 13,729<br>Hornet, wasp or bee sting - 1 in 56,789<br>Legal Execution - 1 in 62,468<br>Lightning - 1 in 79,746<br>Earthquake - 1 in 117,127<br>Flood - 1 in 114,156<br>Fireworks discharge - 1 in 340,733<br><br>source - August 2006, National Geographic<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>I just read this whole thread and I don't understand why anyone would not agree with you. You are pointing out that we are over reacting to small threats. I more than agree. We are spending billions of dollars on miniscule threats to our lives in knee jerk reactions to something that would be teenage terrorists have done and they are laughing at us.<br><br>It is not moribund at all to point out we have a 100 % chance of dying. It is lucky the odds are 100% because it would get crowded if we didn't die. Two million US citizens die every year. What you are pointing out is that the amount of dollars and hysteria is inversely proportional to helping us to stay alive longer. More dollars for homeland defense and less for childhood cancer. Idiotic.<br><br>What I learned on vacation driving across a big chunk of this country: We are killing ourselves with cheeseburgers while staring at CNN (which plays at each rest stop) ingesting each tid-bit of hysterical news. I stayed at a cottage with two elderly ladies who wanted to turn on the news every day to make sure the terrorists didn't get the upper hand. (Fortunately the TV didn't work, I cut the cable.) They were full of fears about nonsense. This forum reminds me of a bunch of hysterical old ladies jumping on the latest scary thing. We're not girlie men, we're nervous blue hairs and the terrorists have won.<br><br>We are going to base our lives and our presidential candidates on what terrorists will do and that is kind of sad. We actually live in a much safer world than we ever had in the entire life of this planet and we cower in fear instead of enjoying it.<br><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 02:45 PM

Well, the way I see it, terrorism on it's own is the act of scaring people. So using propaganda for the same purpose would be terrorism as well? <br><br>Here are a couple definitions of terrorism:<br><br>Any act including, but not limited to, the use of force or violence and/or threat thereof of any person or group(s) of persons whether acting alone or on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation(s) or government(s) committed for political, religions, ideological or similar purposes, including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public or any section of the public in fear.<br><br><br>Terrorism is the systematic use or threatened use of violence to intimidate a population or government and thereby effect political, religious, or ideological change.[1][2] Acts of terrorism are not intended to merely victimize or eliminate those who are killed, injured, or taken hostage, but rather to intimidate and influence the societies to which they belong. Modern terrorism has come to be defined in part by the influential power of the mass media, which terrorists co-opt in their efforts to amplify and broadcast feelings of intense fear and anger. As a type of unconventional warfare, terrorism is designed to weaken or supplant existing political landscapes through capitulation or acquiescence as opposed to subversion or direct military action.<br><br><br><br>Now, who are the good guys? ;)<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by djstefan on 08/21/06 05:46 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 03:33 PM

So considering motor vehicles are the most common cause of death outside of "health" related issues. When will the government require people to be intimately familiar in their operation, prove that they're able to handle a vehicle safely and license those who are able to demonstrate they have passed these requirements to an adequate level?<br><br><br>Shame people believe driving is a right and not a privilage!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 03:49 PM

As a parent of a child who will soon be getting his license I could not agree more. 45 thousand dead by auto accidents is just nuts and we do not take the act of being behind the wheel seriously. Pouring rain on the Hutchinson Parkway coming out of New York at 1 AM and there were three very decent wrecks. One of them with the bottom of the car the only thing showing. It was raining hard and it had not rained in some days. So the road was slick. Did that stop people from blowing by me at 80? But at least I was in New York where it is illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving.<br><br>The people blowing by me were very good drivers. They had to be because the Hutch is a very narrow road to begin with but the rain made it deadly difficult to navigate. They did not really need a driving lesson but they did need to realize how frail life is. Not sure how to do it. Would having a news channel showing the 45,000 dead children and adults strewn on our highways each year? We sort of do that now but we don't show the broken bodies like in drivers Ed. Not sure it would work anyway because we would become quickly inured to it. I guess I would start with mandatory cell phone restrictions and 100% seat belt laws. If you are caught without a seatbelt or with a working cell phone in your car at any time you are summarily shot at the side of the road. That would clean the gene pool.<br><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 04:22 PM

Oh do I remember the Hutch. Like the Jamaica Way, only longer.<br><br>Anyway, I couldn't agree more on the cell phone thing. NY gets it. Although, I don't really know how much safer the hands free thing is. Even with both hands on the wheel, being deep into a conversation is still a distraction, IMHO. I cannot tell you how many time I have narrowly missed being T-boned or rear ended by drivers yammering away on their cell phones and having no clue as to the world around them.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 04:28 PM

I agree hands free should be illegal too. I've tried bluetooth and it is the conversation that takes you away from the wheel not the actual phone.<br><br>I was on the Jamaicaway yesterday. Yes, the same road but the Hutch is prettier too. I drove it late at night once a week back in the seventies and could not believe the mayhem out there. It hasn't changed much except the trees are a bit bigger.<br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 04:40 PM

That also speaks to age "windows". I have long been a proponent of mandatory, incrementally increased testing based on a stepped age criteria. In MA, a license is good for 6 years. In NY it's 8, and I think 4 in Florida. But at a certain age, I believe licenses should have a closer expiration date. Hypothetically, starting at 65, the term might decrease to 4 years. At 69, to 2 years. And annually from age 71 on. Perhaps at age 86 and this is a tough one the license should be non-renewable. Don't know which would put the bigger burden on the state and local gov'ts providing transportation for the non-driving elderly, or cleaning up the carnage they sometimes cause.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 04:58 PM

I believe in the UK retirement age requires retesting - including medical signoff. But that still doesn't eliminate the 20something blonde in the Ford Excursion who hasn't got a clue what's happening 5' from where she's sitting!!!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 05:10 PM

Eliminating the 20-something blonde would be the job of the 90-something old poop who just forgot which foot pedal is for go and which is for stop!<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 05:21 PM

When I was attending MassArt in the late '60s-early '70's, I drove the Jamaica Way every day. On days when I worked very late at the school, I would relax with a joint or two before heading home. Magically, that twisting road was laser straight and silky smooth. And my VW Squareback was a nuclear pulse drive spaceship. That I am alive today is no small miracle. <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 07:01 PM

<center><br><br><br><br><br><br></center><br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/21/06 07:40 PM

<br><br>[color:white]. . . . . . . . . .</font color=white><br><br><br>I emphatically agree with what Poli & DJ Said:<br>Living in fear is simply no way to live.<br><br>I.T.M.C.<br>I'll Take My Chances.<br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 09:05 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Are you suggesting that a would be terrorist is going to carry acetone and bleach and whatever other equipment is needed and make a bomb on the plane that is flying from WV to SC?<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, you're suggesting I'm suggesting it. The two posts you decided to aren't related at all. Bleach and hair bleach are two entirely different chemicals.<br><br>What I'm suggesting is when an explosives sniffing dog is alerted, you damn well better detain the person. Checking for explosives isn't anything new, it's been done for decades - albeit on a more spotty basis. 99 times out of 100 it will be something innocent. Perhaps you can write the victims families of that 1 time explaining that they died because you didn't want to be inconvenienced. I'm sure that would make them feel better.<br><br>Suppose that woman did have bleach in one of those containers? Someone else on board has ammonia. Depending on the mix you'd end up with a plane full of chlorine gas. More ammonia than bleach and it could react to form hydrazine and catch the plane on fire, or more bleach than ammonia and it could react to form nitrogen trichloride which, yes is an incredibly unstable explosive. That's why an explosives dog will flag bleach. None of these potential reactions even need the person to leave their seat. All they need to do is dump the stuff on the floor together and you've killed a plane full of people, or damn near the whole plane. Hardly rocket science, and hardly a sophisticated feat.<br><br>What I suggest has nothing to do with living in fear. Let's get this out in the open: I will never die in a terrorist attack. But that doesn't mean I think we should be cavalier with safety. After all, I've never cut myself using xacto knives at work, nor do I think I ever will, but does that mean I shouldn't use the supplied safety gloves?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 11:33 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What I'm suggesting is when an explosives sniffing dog is alerted, you <br>damn well better detain the person. Checking for explosives isn't anything <br>new, it's been done for decades - albeit on a more spotty basis. 99 times out <br>of 100 it will be something innocent. Perhaps you can write the victims <br>families of that 1 time explaining that they died because you didn't want to <br>be inconvenienced. I'm sure that would make them feel better.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Bleach isn't an explosive.<br><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Suppose that woman did have bleach in one of those containers? <br>Someone else on board has ammonia. Depending on the mix you'd end up <br>with a plane full of chlorine gas.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You don't need explosive sniffing dogs to smell amonia or bleach filled bottles.<br>Heck, I could smell amonia if a water bottle was filled with it. By the way,<br>How much of this stuff has to carried on to fill a plane with chlorine gas?<br><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>More ammonia than bleach and it could react to form hydrazine<p><hr></blockquote><p>[color:blue]Hydrazine is produced in the Olin Raschig process from sodium hypochlorite and ammonia</font color=blue><br><br>[color:blue]The Olin Raschig process is an industrial process used to produce <br>hydrazine. Sodium hypochlorite solution is mixed with ammonia at 5 C to <br>form chloramine and sodium hydroxide, which is then rapidly added to <br>anhydrous ammonia under pressure and heated to 130 C to generate <br>hydrazine</font color=blue><br><br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrazine<br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_Raschig_process<br><br>So you're suggesting a terrorist is going to make hydrazine by the process <br>above. Hardly something you could do in a airplane toilet.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> more bleach than ammonia and it could react to form nitrogen <br>trichloride which, yes is an incredibly unstable explosive.<p><hr></blockquote><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloramine<br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochloramine<br><br>[color:blue]Purified nitrogen trichloride explodes on contact with organic <br>compounds or catalytic surfaces....<br><br>Nitrogen trichloride may be formed in small amounts when public water <br>supplies are disinfected with monochloramine, a combination of chlorine and <br>ammonia.<br><br>NH2Cl is a highly unstable compound in concentrated form, much less as a <br>pure liquid. Few people have "seen" pure NH2Cl. Pure NH2Cl decomposes <br>violently above -40 C.</font color=blue><br><br>So to make nitrogen trichloride you have to make monochloramine which<br>can't be made unless it's dilluted. And then you have to somehow purify<br>this on an airplane?<br><br>--------------------------------------<br><br>I think you're ignoring basic science with the idea that an explosive could<br>be made on a plane with household bleach and amonia.<br><br>If chlorine gas was the purpose, it would be easy to spot jugs of amonia<br>and bleach being brought on the plane. I could easily smell amonia or <br>household bleach when bottles are filled with that quatity.<br><br>But instead we have these fantasy terrorists plots where dog's have to sniff<br>trace amounts of bleach to stop the evil terrorists from blowing up a plane.<br><br>Don't wash your white shirt in bleach before you board a plane.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 11:56 AM

You can post all the chemistry 101 you can find. It still doesn't change either side of the original argument in this thread. The issue comes down to caution vs. bravado (U.S. of Girly Men makes your position pretty clear). And somewhere along the line, "caution" has been equated to "fear". Can we cram enough hyperbole into this thread? <br><br>If people choose to become fearful because of a cautionary warning, that's their personal hangup. But you can't label the whole population with that tag just because bravado is you personal preference.<br><br>If the Creature with Two Heads wants to exploit the caution-fear syndrome for their political agenda, then bad on them. But you still can't just smirk at potential risk as it they're not even there. <br><br>Say you've had a run-in with someone in the past and they threatened you. You go out to your car one morning and there on the ground under the engine are some wire clippings and a few pieces of duck tape. That could have blown in from anywhere. It's just trash. But are you just gonna jump in and start 'er up, or are you gonna take a closer look before you put the key in the ignition?<br><br>NOBODY SAYS ANYBODY HAS TO LIVE IN FEAR! We're talking about being vigilant and careful. Why is that so objectionable?<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 12:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You can post all the chemistry 101 you can find. It still doesn't change either side of the original argument in this thread. The issue comes down to caution vs. bravado (U.S. of Girly Men makes your position pretty clear). And somewhere along the line, "caution" has been equated to "fear". Can we cram enough hyperbole into this thread?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I'm sorry your post wasn't vetted by myself. I'm going to have to ask you to<br>shut the f[/i]uck up. <br><br>link<br><br><br>[i][color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 01:04 PM

You're right. I forgot to get your sign-off. My bad again.<br><br>See? Now you don't have to answer my question! <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 01:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Say you've had a run-in with someone in the past and they threatened you. You go out to your car one morning and there on the ground under the engine are some wire clippings and a few pieces of duck tape. That could have blown in from anywhere. It's just trash. But are you just gonna jump in and start 'er up, or are you gonna take a closer look before you put the key in the ignition?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>No, Nor do you go to their house and shoot their wife, children & dog just in case they ever decide at some future date to carry out the threat. <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 02:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>See? Now you don't have to answer my question!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I thought I answered your question "Can we cram enough hyperbole in<br>this thread?"<br><br>Ah, but you mean this question - <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Say you've had a run-in with someone in the past and they threatened you. You go out to your car one morning and there on the ground under the engine are some wire clippings and a few pieces of duck tape. That could have blown in from anywhere. It's just trash. But are you just gonna jump in and start 'er up, or are you gonna take a closer look before you put the key in the ignition?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I would probably jump in the car and start it up. <br><br>Feel free to add more information to the hypothetical question (such as the<br>person who threatened you was a known car bomber, yada yada) until I answer<br>differently.<br><br>If I thought it was a car bomb I would probably dial 911 and not take a closer<br>look before I put the key in the ignition.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>We're talking about being vigilant and careful. Why is that so <br>objectionable?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Are we? I thought we were talking about water bottles closing down an<br>airport because bleach was detected by a dog and a test kit. There was no<br>explosives to begin with. SgtBaxter wants to imply that there was, and there<br>is a 99% failure rate in detection of explosives (I have no idea where he got<br>the failure rate) and we should be cautious.<br><br>I would agree with SgtBaxter if it was about explosives - let's say someone walked<br>in an airport terminal with what looked like sticks of TNT strapped to their<br>body. But this wasn't the case - it was a water bottle.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 03:21 PM

*sigh* Okey-dokey. We now return you to Sphincter Sphactor. already in progress.<br><br>Over & out...<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 03:49 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Bleach isn't an explosive.<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, it's an oxidizer. Hence the reason an explosives dog will flag it.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Heck, I could smell amonia if a water bottle was filled with it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Now you're completely full of [censored]. Why doesn't every Wal-Mart and supermarket smell of ammonia or bleach? They've got hundreds of gallons of the stuff sitting on shelves.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How much of this stuff has to carried on to fill a plane with chlorine gas?<p><hr></blockquote><p> Very very little. There is no fresh air on a plane and no way for the gas to escape. Plenty of people would be dead before someone could possibly release air masks, and even then if it permiated the cockpit the pilots wouldn't be able to see!<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So you're suggesting a terrorist is going to make hydrazine by the process above.<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, I don't suggest a terrorist is going to manufacture refined hydrazine in an airplane toilet. That's absurd. You, however are ignoring that it can occur in a spill reaction between bleach and ammonia if the quantities of the two are skewed enough. Ammonia and bleach react different depending on the quantities of each. None of the ways they react are good. And you're making the fatal mistake of overestimating the idiots who would try something like this just because they heard it wasn't good, never mind on how deadly it might actually be. Do you think Richard Reid's shoe bomb would actually have done anything? Probably not. Doesn't mean folks should have just sat there and let him light it off.<br><br>I'm glad you like wikipedia, even though sean will tell you any college professor worth a damn will fail you for referencing an encyclopedia.<br><br>Since you seem so adept at it though, I wonder why you never link to a wiki article that shows liquid explosives have already been used on an aircraft?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 03:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If I thought it was a car bomb I would probably dial 911 and not take a closer look before I put the key in the ignition.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Why, are you a dumbass? The probability of it being a car bomb are 100,000 to one. I thought you don't want to live in fear?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 03:56 PM

Thank you. I was gonna say something similar, but I... just... can't... keep... this... up...<br><br>Maybe we can just send IC a souvenir license plate from New Hampshire. <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 05:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No, it's an oxidizer. Hence the reason an explosives dog will flag it<p><hr></blockquote><p>It may be an ingredient, but you haven't provided any evidence that an <br>explosive could be made on an airplane. You're ignoring science.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Now you're completely full of [censored]. Why doesn't every Wal-Mart and supermarket smell of ammonia or bleach? They've got hundreds of gallons of the stuff sitting on shelves.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Are you a heavy smoker? I can smell it. When I go in the grocery store, I smell<br>my produce for freshness and taste. When I'm in the detergent aile I can smell<br>the different cleaners and the bleach. There's a cornucopica of olfactory senses.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Very very little. There is no fresh air on a plane and no way for the gas to escape. Plenty of people would be dead before someone could possibly release air masks, and even then if it permiated the cockpit the pilots wouldn't be able to see!<p><hr></blockquote><p>No references to any links. Just making up facts, again?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No, I don't suggest a terrorist is going to manufacture refined hydrazine in an airplane toilet. That's absurd. You, however are ignoring that it can occur in a spill reaction between bleach and ammonia if the quantities of the two are skewed enough. Ammonia and bleach react different depending on the quantities of each. None of the ways they react are good.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Again no references, just making up facts, again?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm glad you like wikipedia, even though sean will tell you any college professor worth a damn will fail you for referencing an encyclopedia.<p><hr></blockquote><p>The wikipedia has references at the bottom. I reference the wiki as a short cut<br>for you to find other references. That is, if you're really interested in facts and<br>not just making up facts.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Since you seem so adept at it though, I wonder why you never link to a wiki article that shows liquid explosives have already been used on an aircraft?<p><hr></blockquote><p>That was an actual explosive - not bleach. The terrrorist didn't make the <br>nitroglycerin on the plane, he carried it on the plane. It wasn't bleach, acetone,<br>or any other chemical that could possible be made into an explosive. It<br>was an explosive.<br><br>The idea that a terrorist taking bleach on a plane to make an explosive is<br>pure fantasy.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 05:40 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Thank you. I was gonna say something similar, but I... just... can't... keep... this... up...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Looks like you've found a new sidekick. Next time don't be too quick to <br>sign off "over and out". Wait a few minutes and maybe your buddy the<br>Sgt. can talk for ya <br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 05:53 PM

Man, you're just full of wisdom tonight, eh? Next you'll be taking over the whole damned Internet! <br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 06:12 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Why, are you a dumbass? The probability of it being a car bomb are 100,000 to one. I thought you don't want to live in fear?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Wow. I can tell you have never served in the military, despite your nickname here - <br>'SgtBaxter' . <br><br>ps - send steveg my love.<br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/22/06 07:06 PM

B-b-b-b-but, IC, you've already sent me your love so many times with all those steamy, gooey PMs. Just please, no more nekked pictures of yourself. I'm running out of hard drive space.<br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/23/06 12:42 PM

_______________________________________________<br><br>If I die in the one in a million chance that some angry person blew up the plane <br>I was flying in, it was well worth the risk of living freely and peacefully. <br><br><br><br>Just because the odds are 100% that we are all going to die, that doesn't mean <br>anyone can murder someone else because they were going to die anyways. <br><br>_______________________________________________<br><br><br>Are these two statements logically opposite?<br><br>
Posted by: Terry11

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 08/23/06 12:46 PM

Those two statements aren't related.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 02/26/08 07:05 PM

Steve,<br><br>ROFLMAO !!<br><br>That's so damm funny !! ..."nakked pictures".... ha, ha, ha ,,<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 02/26/08 09:22 PM

I'm glad they didn't delete the whole thread.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Lea

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 02/26/08 09:51 PM

<br><br><br><br><br>shhhhh . . .<br><br><br><br>(Well, Doh! Lea!! )<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 05/11/08 08:05 AM

" Al Kyder and Terry Wrist".<br><br>I missed that the first go round. Funny. Where is the audio?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Clark

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 05/11/08 08:53 AM

You must have a lot of free time today.<br><br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 05/11/08 12:15 PM

Have to check in every hour to check my email so I am twiddling my thumbs. My soccer team went 5-0 first half of the season and we are moving up in division play. (I was tardy on the switchover since I was in Cuernavaca.) And I always have time for amazingly hot chicks.<br><br>

Re: The United States of Girlie Men - 05/11/08 12:46 PM

The Siko Drongos that pull them brazen stunts are called<br> <h2>The Chasers War On EVERYTHING</h2><br>They're a kind of SNL/Nat Lamp/R&M Laugh-in/Rude Pundit hybrid<br>If you have the proper required players you're welcome to tag along.<br><br>The "Al Kyder & Terry Wrist" stunt was dated Aug. 18th 2006<br>so I reckon the place to search would be the Archives of Past Shows<br><br>:: [color:red]BAD TASTE WARNING</font color=red> ::<br>They're a cheeky bunch and although their humour is generally <br>aimed @ the Government - NOTHING is Sacred, & they doan give <br>a rodent's rectum who takes offense.<br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>