Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait...

Posted by: Topper

Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 08:44 PM

US involved in planning Israel's operations in Lebanon<br><br>The US government was closely involve...e reported.<br><br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 09:51 PM

Absolutely nothing those yahoos do surprises me anymore...<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 10:21 PM

And just in case it gets pulled later: y<br><br>US involved in planning Israel's operations in Lebanon <br>Sun Aug 13, 2:30 PM ET<br><br>The US government was closely involved in planning Israel's military operations against Lebanon's Hezbollah militia even before the July 12 kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers, a US magazine reported.<br><br> Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Seymour Hersh writes in The New Yorker magazine that President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney were convinced that a successful Israeli bombing campaign against Hezbollah could ease Israel's security concerns and also serve as a prototype for a potential US preemptive attack to destroy Iran's nuclear installations.<br><br> Citing an unnamed Middle East expert with knowledge of the current thinking of the Israeli and US governments, Hersh said Israel had devised a plan for attacking Hezbollah -- and shared it with Bush administration officials -- well before the July 12 kidnappings.<br><br> "When they grabbed the soldiers in early July, that was then a pretext" for Israel's assault on Hezbollah, Hersh said Sunday on CNN television.<br><br> "We (the US) worked closely with them (Israel) months before, not necessarily ... knowing when it was going to happen, but when there was an incident they will take advantage of the incident, what I call a fortunate timing'," Hersh said.<br><br> "Nobody is suggesting that Israel wouldn't have done what it did without the Americans," he added.<br><br> Hezbollah responded to Israel's attacks by firing missiles into Israel to escalate the month-long conflict that killed some 1,200 people on both sides.<br><br> A UN-organized cessation of hostilities planned for Monday, it was hoped, could bring an end to the fighting.<br><br> In the article Hersh suggests the White House had several reasons for supporting an Israeli bombing campaign in Lebanon.<br><br> If Washington wanted to pursue a military attack against Iran over its nuclear program, the United States had to get rid of the weapons Hezbollah could use in a potential retaliation against Israel, he writes.<br><br> Citing a US government consultant with close ties to Israel, Hersh also reports that before the Hezbollah kidnappings, several Israeli officials visited Washington "to get a green light" for a bombing operation following a Hezbollah provocation, and also "to find out how much the United States would bear".<br><br> "The Israelis told us it would be a cheap war with many benefits," the magazine quotes the consultant as saying. "Why oppose it? We'll be able to hunt down and bomb missiles, tunnels, and bunkers from the air. It would be a demo for Iran."<br><br> US government officials have denied the charges, but Hersh defended his piece Sunday saying he had strong sources for the article which was thoroughly vetted by New Yorker editors.<br><br> "This White House will find a way to view what happened with the Israelis against Hezbollah as a victory, and they'll find a way to see it as a positive for any planning that is going towards Iran," he told CNN.<br><br> In the magazine Hersh writes that a former senior intelligence official said some officers serving with the Joint Chiefs of Staff -- a council of the president's top military advisors -- remain concerned that the administration will have a far more positive assessment of the air campaign than they should.<br><br>"There is no way that (Defense Secretary Donald) Rumsfeld and Cheney will draw the right conclusion about this," Hersh quotes the former official as saying.<br><br>"When the smoke clears, they'll say it was a success, and they'll draw reinforcement for their plan to attack Iran."<br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 10:56 PM

Not just that, bird. I can't fathom just how shallow these idiots' learning curve is. It has got to be that they understand everything through such distorting ideological lenses that they'll never be able to come close to seeing reality (and I'm not making any claims to doing so myself--but as Hamlet says, when the wind is southerly I can tell a hawk from a handsaw).<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 11:12 PM

Pt A<br><br>Q: HAWK or HANDSAW<br><br>...this will be on the test...y<br><br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/13/06 11:18 PM

<br>Pt B<br><br>Q: HAWK or HANDSAW<br><br><br>...do the research...<br>...and be sure to check/cite multiple sources.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/13/06 11:47 PM

<br><br> Washington’s interests in Israel’s war.<br>by Seymour M. Hersh<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My my baby blue . . .

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 12:43 AM

<br>Arming an Israeli Attack on Iran<br>Faulty Intelligence, WMD Hype and a New Trigger for War<br><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 02:00 AM

Haven't seen CNN cover this one yet... Man, if this all turns out to be fully verified, it's more US (and Israeli) playing at military experiments and costing innocent lives on all sides. I can now put nothing past them.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: steveg

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 02:15 AM

[censored][censored]. <br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 02:29 AM

"But if Hersh writes it, I'm gonna pay a lot more attention"<br><br>Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 02:44 AM

Can't believe our vocal newcomer, Iron Chef isn't all over this one. Spose he will be. Interesting that Topper couched this news tidbit post in food preparation terms. Bang a gong, it is on.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 03:37 AM

C'mon everybody wake up, must be close to 6 am or so over there by now!!...<br><br>Everytime I check googlenews more and more mainstream news sites picking this up, but CNN (my only TV news in English) won't touch it yet!<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 04:20 AM

Now that's just harsh.<br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 04:23 AM

<[censored] WILLYA?! LAZY AMERICANS ARE TRYIN' TO SLEEP!</font color=red><br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 04:56 AM

After reading the article and some of the parallel articles, it appears someone has been reading too much Clancy. It's Bush! Or rather he's having it read to him by Cheney and Rumsfeld. <br><br>I'm beginning to worry that these crazy-ass bastards will launch an attack on Iran whether the assets are available or not. I mean, I'm really getting worried.<br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 05:08 AM

Why should he?<br>It was old news there years ago...<br>...he was just waiting for us to catch up.<br><br>10/03/[color:red]2002</font color=red><br>[color:blue]Israel: Sharon stirs up conflict wih Syria and Iran</font color=blue><br><br>11/05/[color:red]2002</font color=red><br>[color:blue]Attack IRAN the Day Iraq War Ends, Demands Israel</font color=blue> <br><br>04/28/[color:red]2005</font color=red><br>[color:blue]Arming an Israeli Attack on Iran</font color=blue><br><br>03/15/[color:red]2005</font color=red><br>[color:blue]WWIII: Israel-US Attack Iran When Ready</font color=blue><br><br>07/24/[color:red]2006</font color=red><br>[color:blue]IRAN: The Next War</font color=blue><br><br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/14/06 05:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I can't fathom just how shallow these idiots' learning curve is. It has got to be that they understand everything through such distorting ideological lenses that they'll never be able to come close to seeing reality<p><hr></blockquote><p> Bush = <br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 07:00 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Interesting that Topper couched this news tidbit post in food preparation terms.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm just saying that the news keeps getting worse and worse out of Washington. <br>This story tops them all so far (if correct). <br>This administration is so bad they can no longer shock me. Disgust, loathe, nauseate, revolt, sicken but not shock.<br>What the hell is next?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/14/06 07:02 AM

Actually, it may be Simplemindedness<br>then again (puts on tf helmet) <br>it maybe even more f*t-up than THAT...<br><br>The "PinHead" may already be looking to find a "Patsy"<br>...by pinning his Empirical Aspirations on the Israeli's <br>much like he pinned the "bad intelligence" on Iraq on the UK:<br><br>Not to say that Israel is blameless, since there's evidence all<br>over the place that links to them demanding that we crush <br>their enemies, and making out and out threats of igniting WWIII<br>if we don't, that goes back not days, months or years, but DECADES,<br><br>But what's also emerging is the possibility that Bush has finally complied<br>because it doubtlessly suits his purpose, did so by filling the Neo-CONN<br>Ranks with the likes of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Rice, and Bolton, <br>BUT <br>that he's prepared to let Israel "swing for it" should things turn sour.<br><br>Wadda Guy! With allies like him, who needs enemas?<br><br>Iran-Israeli Linkage By Bush Seen As Threat<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 07:05 AM

My point being;<br><br>WHO (or is it WHOM?) **sprung the "leak" THIS time?<br><br><br>**planted the story (?)<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/14/06 07:50 AM

It is only necessary to keep in mind the United States is owned by "Israel". All else is self explanatory. Until this "binding" is broken, all tactics will be status quo. Without the hired support of U.S. 'equipment' and military strategies, Israel would be long gone.<br><br>- alec
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 07:54 AM

It's "who"--subject of the verb "sprung." <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 08:40 AM

This story is just speculation.<br><br>But the facts are clear on the US supplying Israel with the arms needed - <br>- US gives Israel 2 billion a year in finacial support.<br>- Israel has 226 F-16 fighter jets, 89 F-15 combat aircraft, over 700 M-60 <br>tanks, more than 6,000 armoured personel carriers and scores of transport <br>planes, apache attack helicopters, utility and training aircraft plus bombs and <br>missiles of "all kinds."<br><br>On July 14th, just days into the 'war' the Defense Security Cooperation Agency<br>approved 200 million dollars worth of jet fuel to Israel - "The proposed sale <br>of the JP-8 aviation fuel will enable Israel to maintain the operational <br>capability of its aircraft inventory. The jet fuel will be consumed while the <br>aircraft is in use to keep peace and security in the region. Israel will have no <br>difficulty absorbing this additional fuel into its armed forces."<br><br>Days into the conflict the US senate unanimously voted and the Congress voted<br>410 - 8 in favor of Israel's "right to self defense". This vote was important<br>because under the U.S. Arms Export Control Act it's illegal to provide weapons<br>to foreign countries that are not used for self defense.<br><br>A couple of days later, at least 4 plane loads of bombs were shipped to Israel.<br><br>Does it matter if the US planned or was notified beforehand, the US did<br>sponsor and for the most part, pick up the financial cost of it. <br><br>[color:red]Allez Cuisine! Bang a gong, it is on</font color=red>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 09:21 AM

Hersch doesn't speculate and he doesn't suck on leaks. He doesn't have to. His reputation is such that when he sets out to research a story, sources will come to him. Mr. Hersch has established some serious cred over the years. Like several of y'all said, if this was coming from anybody else, I'd go for the salt shaker.<br><br>At first, I thought it odd that his first public appearance on this would be a Sunday broadcast. But then I smacked my self upside the head and thought ~ What an interesting week it's gonna be.<br><br>I finally agree with the POV that this administration is delusional enough to believe an attack on Iran is as feasible as it is desirable.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My my baby blue . . .

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 10:02 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>this administration is delusional enough to believe an attack on Iran is as feasible as it is desirable.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I can't even come up with the right word for this administration.<br>It seems surreal having to sit back and watch everything unfold and not be able to do anything about it.<br>I don't think a Democratic Senate and Congress could rein-in Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 10:29 AM

Yeah November and next Jan can't come fast enough... maybe that's what Bushie and Cheney are thinking about in their rush to another war.<br><br> <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I don't think a Democratic Senate and Congress could rein-in Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney. <p><hr></blockquote><p>IF the public got behind it - can you spell... I M P E A C H M E N T ??<br><br>but it would take great (>65%) public support ! (and BOTH houses of Congress)<br><br>already about 60% are dissatisfied. ..It could go > 70% if they start talking "Drafts".<br><br>Are we in a Stephen King Nightmare ?? <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 11:52 AM

Actually it is the US that owns Israel.<br>Here is a stat for you...<br>There are 5,914,682 Jews in the US<br>There are 5,021,506 Jewish people in Israel.<br>717,101 in Russia<br>France is fourth with 606,561.<br>Canada comes in sixth with 393,660 just behind Argentina's 395,379.<br>Here is the true sin...Germany shows having just 107,160 Jews.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 12:33 PM

"Here is the true sin...Germany shows having just 107,160 Jews."<br><br>Hmm... looks like Hitler's master plan keeps on ticking. <br><br>- alec

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/14/06 01:45 PM

I think you're Right on the MONEY......<br>The US Armed Forces has become the <br>Best Mercenary Force Money Can Buy.<br><br><br>...and when looked at in THOSE terms...<br>You gotta wonder who's turning a profit. <br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Celandine on 08/14/06 04:49 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/14/06 02:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>But the facts are clear on the US supplying Israel with the arms needed - <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Yeah, we give 'em all the old crap.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!<
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/15/06 04:24 PM

What's the difference between Israel and the US? The US manufactures the weapons, but guys from Israel own the factories. The US borrows $$ from the big banks of the world, guys from Israel own those banks. The US has free elections, the biggest supporters are company owners living or from Israel....<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/15/06 05:16 PM

<br>...and exactly WHO applied the pressure to have those <br>"OBJECTIONABLE" pictures of the dead civilians <br>ridiculed & removed that had turned the <br>World's opinion against Israel.<br><br>a handful of "enhanced" photos<br>out of what? 900? <br>...and no body smelled a rat? <br><br><br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfai - 08/15/06 05:23 PM

Do you have any facts to support those claims? Which arms manufacturers are Israeli-owned? Which Banks (remember, we're talking about Israelis — not necessarily Jews). And which Israeli-owned corporations are the biggest election supporters — and whom have they supported?<br><br>

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/15/06 05:26 PM

<br>Killing a 1,000 people<br>NO PROBLEM<br>yet PS a dozen photos<br>and it's an atrocity?<br><br>gimmee a break.<br><br>Can anyone say "SPIN-DOCTORING"<br>Sure..... ........I knew you could.<br><br>But what makes me sick was not so much that people bought it<br>but that I've seen the photos, and even films, of people literally<br>being fired upon and shot from Israeli vehicles to provoke riots<br>that are later expunged that almost never see the light of day.<br><br>So, pardon me if blacker smoke doesn't register on my map, OK?<br><br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/16/06 04:00 PM

War sux. The little people are just ants being stepped on in this big farm. Ever seen a kid feeling powerfull and big when stepping on ants or burning them with a magnifying glass? Many of those kids run the world. Sorry to break it to you, but you were born an ant and will remain one till your death.<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...

Re: Wouldn't this just be the cherry on the parfait... - 08/16/06 10:28 PM

<br>Actually, I'm still just trying to wrap my head around that.......<br>I think most people "can't see the forest for the trees" as well.<br><br>The thought that we don't even register as human beings to<br>people that feel that they're so far above the rest of society<br>that they need classes to learn to "interface" with 'the little<br>squeeky things that keep everything working', while bartering <br>entire countries among themselves, .........is pretty unsettling. <br><br><br><br><br>