WOW!

Posted by: steveg

WOW! - 08/10/06 04:31 PM

I hate that the Admin now has us conditioned. A for real close call?, or just another diversion.<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: WOW! - 08/10/06 06:56 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>plotters began investigating nonstop flights from Britain to the United States<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I don't think there's been anything but nonstop flights since they got rid of the flying boats. How would you land a 747 mid transatlantic anyway?!?! <br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..
Posted by: DLC

Re: WOW! - 08/10/06 07:00 PM

what they don't stop in Iceland or Greenland any more !!<br><br><br>dammm !<br><br><br>well fsck that BS... <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: WOW! - 08/10/06 07:08 PM

OK here's my problem:<br><br>1. is it real or a diversion?<br><br>2. BW (before W), I'd never consider this, but they've cried "wolf" so often you naturally think of this possibility.<br><br>3. They say 2 dozen terrorists but name none, even if they did- so what how do we know they're real?<br><br>4. Remember the 7 cubans in Fla a few months back... they were in the 'dream stage" so say the Bush admin... but were they even real ?<br><br>I'm not saying it's fake, but given the polls and sinking support for Iraq- (60% now against war)<br> who the fsck knows... ?? mind games !! or reality?<br>or another example they can use to justify reducing our civil liberties?<br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: WOW! - 08/10/06 07:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>the 7 cubans<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hatians, I believe. We Cubes are busy counting our chickens before the eggs are laid. <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 08/10/06 10:57 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: garyW

Re: WOW! - 08/10/06 07:27 PM

All I'm hearing is that Democrats and Ned Lamont are the new America-hating terrorists. These Pakistan-trained al-Q types have some catching up to do before November if Mehlman, Snow or Cheney have anything to say about it. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:54 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>3. They say 2 dozen terrorists but name none, even if they did- so what how do we know they're real?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>You have to remember the Brits don't have as open a government as the US has. They generally don't release names until intent/connection to crime has been made. They thus also end up with less villified innocent people too (that's the one thing about US crime/media I really dislike - someone gets arrested and they're splashed over the front page for a week, then the cops say "oh sorry wrong guy" and the media drops it - but in the minds of the people that guy was guilty).<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 08:47 AM

^ I agree<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 09:12 AM

all have been named and 19 bank accounts have been frozen<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?
Posted by: Celandine

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 10:33 AM

LOL <br>people tend to forget that <br>you see the news almost a half a day before we do.<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 03:18 PM

Yeah, but they see it upside down, so we are pretty even in the end.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 03:45 PM

Not from THEIR PoV<br>They insist that Seppos <br>are not only "Up-Side-Down"<br>...but decidedly Backward as well! y<br><br><br>Gravity "sux" equally from every direction toward the earth's core<br>the only "up or down" was determined by 14th cent cartographers<br>that drew the maps using their only available point of reference (PoV)<br><br>Yes, I realized you were making a funny<br>and yes, it was kinda cute. Kinda. <br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 03:52 PM

Friday, August 11, 2006. 5:03pm (AEST)<br><br><br>Bomb plot ... lengthy delays continue at airports around the world, as tighter security measures are enforced. (AFP)<br> <br>Britons arrested in Pakistan during anti-terrorism operation<br><br>Pakistan arrested two Britons of Pakistani descent last week as part of a coordinated operation to foil a plot to blow up transatlantic airliners, says a senior Pakistani government official.<br><br>"They are British nationals. They were arrested eight to 10 days ago, one from Karachi and one from Lahore," the official said.<br><br>Pakistan says the plot was thwarted after active coordination between Pakistani, British and US intelligence agencies, leading to the arrest of 24 people in Britain.<br><br>"Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said.<br><br>Suspected suicide bombers were just days from simultaneous attacks on aircraft flying from Britain to the United States, in what one British official said could have been "mass murder on an unimaginable scale".<br><br>Some security analysts say the plot bore the hallmarks of Al Qaeda.<br><br>The United Kingdom remains on a critical security alert as police continue to investigate the alleged plot.<br><br>Tonight, British police are expected to ask a judge's permission to hold the two dozen suspects arrested over the plot for 28 days without charge.<br><br>Britain's central bank has frozen the accounts and assets of 19 of the men and released a list of their names.<br><br>Meanwhile lengthy delays continue at airports around the world, as tighter security measures are enforced.<br><br>More than 600 British flights have been cancelled since the plot was discovered and only three quarters of scheduled international flights from Heathrow airport are expected to operate tonight.<br><br>- <br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 03:54 PM

Speakin' of "cute"<br>wanna' see our chief cook & forum owner?<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:03 PM

Mama Mia. That's a one a spicy meatball..... <br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:04 PM

well from my POV they are still an hour late and upside down, even though most of the news here is written with funny little pictures (and YES, I AM KIDDING!)<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:19 PM

Yeah, he ain't exacly chopped liva'. <br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:23 PM

Never kid about an Aussie. A small dog will attack your ankle.<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My my baby blue . . .
Posted by: djstefan

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:25 PM

Get ready for some new laws to be instated that will provide you the paranoid cityzen a better level of "protection".<br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 04:54 PM

<br>Oops, I forgot,<br>You LIKE Chopped Liva' <br><br><br>*naw, I took it as a joke.<br>The Aussies can always take a joke, <br>...as long as it's meant in a good natured way...<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: WOW! - 08/11/06 06:56 PM

Yes, our fearlesk leader is going to fight "those who hate our freedoms" by taking away more of our freedoms. <br><br>***Leoville
Posted by: TheGreatDivide

THEY KNOW THAT WE KNOW - 08/11/06 09:44 PM

that they're FUBAR jaded and rapturist jihadist dissn' reality<br><br>OF THE HARDCORE LIFERS IN AMERICA FKRZ:<br>http://terrorhc.com<br><br>and yes<br>we gots hell to pay<br>some things just don't wash away<br><br>fight<br>reclaim<br><br>it's that simple<br>now leadership is null and void<br>it's dangerous<br>evil monsters I hear<br>power hunger<br>then cancer early and they wonder<br>why<br><br>we know the fck why<br>again, we're not all jailed<br>so their turn to feel the PAIN<br><br>HOME FREE<br><br>http://floridafolkartist.blogspot.com-captured demons, expressions and whatever you wanna make of it.

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 03:08 AM

The problem is not what news laws will be levied, but how many more standing laws will be broken. By the admin, that is.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 09:14 AM

OK, it's apparent it was a real threat.<br><br>I read that the origin of uncovering the plot was a tip just after the tube bombing back in 2004. Someone in the Muslim community in London phoned in a tip to Scotland Yard which was investigated and for almost 2 years they tracked these guys. <br><br>IF we hear W (which I'm sure we will) utter that this is evidence to do more phone tapping and invasion of privacy- I'll SCREAM. <br>This was a prime example of "old-fashioned" tip and surveillance work... phone tapping had nothing to do with the origin of the counterintelligence. Maybe they did that later, and I hope with court oversight. But the origin was a ordinary phone call tip to SY.<br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 09:36 AM

The sorry thing is that we could actually wonder how valid this new "foiled plot" was. It will be interesting, and perhaps revealing, over the next week or so to learn more details. Reports this morning are: There were no airline tickets discovered, no trial run plan, no date set for a practice flight or the actual deed.<br><br>Right now, it does look as though this was very serious, but then, the administration screamed bloody US murder about the gang that couldn't shoot straight down in Miami.<br><br>It's demoralizing that I don't trust my government on something this important.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My my baby blue . . .
Posted by: Terry11

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 09:37 AM

And although the plot was to blow planes up over US cities... our intelligence community didn't have a clue! The Patriot Act and the current admin didn't protect us from terrorists... the Brits did!<br><br>Bush and Co. are too busy planning the invasion of Iran to be bothered with domestic anything.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 03:43 PM

"Bush and Co. are too busy planning the invasion of Iran to be bothered with domestic anything."<br><br>As much as we talk about that, does anyone really think that is going to happen unless things get a lot worse. I am sure the US govt is trying (trying!) to plan for contingencies, but even our current administration can't be that stupid. At the beginning when the hawks thought a secured Iraq would give us "leverage" in the ME there was more focused talk of action in Iran, but now? Iran is larger and more populous than Iraq, it is nominally (nominally!) democratic, and it is mostly composed of Shiite Muslims, so there is no ethnic/religious division to exploit as we did so masterfully (masterfully!) in Iraq. Many in Iran oppose their ideological and repressive govt but they are virtually 100 percent united in agreement that they can have nuclear power and, hell, nuclear weapons if they damn well please, thank you, and would certainly be 100 percent against an invasion of their country. AND the entire Muslim world (like a good chunk of a billlion people) would finally be certain that we did indeed intend to dominate the Muslim world (and they would be right, wouldn't they?) We would have a worldwide jihad(or at the very least ME wide). It aint gonna happen even if Iran gets nukes, I'll bet ya.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 04:26 PM

The support for the war is waining (>60% disapprove), to take on Iran we'd need a Draft... I don't think they're that stupid, but they have surprised me before. That would insure they'd lose both houses of Congress - unless they pulled that sht after Nov. <br><br>If they retain both houses after Nov. they might get tempted to be stupid. Let's hope NOT. (on both statements)<br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 04:43 PM

Deputy Secretary Michael Jackson<br><br>That 'splains everything!<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 04:50 PM

Apparently the U.S. was in the loop almost from the beginning of the investigation. To the point that there was supposedly a disagreement btwn the U.S. and the U.K. as to when the bust should go down. The Brits wanted to wait another week to make sure no loose ends were left, and because the British courts have stiffer evidence criteria in terrorism cases. But the U.S. insisted that the arrests be made sooner so they could make hay with the story.<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 05:18 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>it's demoralizing that I don't trust my government on something this important.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I don't trust the gang in charge either....but I do Trust<br>BRENDA'S DOG <br> <br>Brenda's dog has taken up Art;<br>my honeysuckle is finally in flower;<br>George Bush is planning to attack Iraq.<br> <br>In our family of sisters and other animals<br>Brenda's dog has always been noted for<br>its sensitivity. Unlike George Bush.<br> <br>Even my other sisters who love cats<br>and loathe dogs, have admitted this.<br> <br>I bought the honeysuckle a year ago<br>and planted it in a pot. I waited for<br>the swooning scented nights of summer.<br> <br>George Bush was elected --it seems long ago?<br>These things start with small mistakes,<br> marks on ballot papers.<br> <br>But the dog. This is a new development.<br>It is small, sensitive, very intelligent.<br>When Brenda goes out, he gets bored<br> <br>and takes his toys and arranges them<br>on the carpet, in pleasing designs. Says Brenda.<br>My own dog has no toys to arrange<br> <br>and is only interested in killing living things--<br>like George Bush. But the honeysuckle<br>has flowered at last.<br> <br>I wish I lived in a parallel universe<br>where my dog takes up Art<br>George Bush finally flowers<br>and only honeysuckle invades Iraq.<br><br>Gloria B. Yates<br><br><br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 06:47 PM

I don't know where you're getting your info, but I've yet to hear anything pointing to US involvement in the investigation. I haven't bothered searching the web on this one yet... but one thing on mainstream media being pointed out is Bush's failed plan to cut $6 Billion from homeland security budget. Sensors are available to indicate the content of bottles without opening them... of course, we don't have them.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 07:05 PM

Also those sensors can only handle one bottle at a time - much easier to improve airline profits by banning all gels and liquids. Give it about 2 weeks and the airport shops will stop selling these items and the airlines will be stocking up on duty free liquids and gels!!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 07:21 PM

A report on ABC News earlier tonight.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 08:33 PM

Ah, bird, that's just wonderful. Copy and pasted to file, so I can enjoy it again. Thank you.<br><br>LL <br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]My my baby blue . . .
Posted by: Leslie

Re: WOW! - 08/12/06 09:34 PM

Apparently ( assuming) the U.S. was in the loop almost from the beginning of the investigation. To the point that there was supposedly (an assumed) a disagreement btwn the U.S. and the U.K. as to when the bust should go down.<br><br>Be careful what you assume!<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 04:04 AM

Just paraphrasing a report I heard on TV last night. That's why I used words like "apparently" and "supposedly". If I (assumed) that the report were cast in stone, or if I (assumed) that the facts were irrefutable, then I wouldn't have used those modifiers.<br><br>Did you (assume) you had a gotcha there, Lester? Tsk,tsk. <br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 04:42 AM

"(Invading Iran)...would insure they'd lose both houses of Congress - unless they pulled that sht after Nov."<br><br>If the US invaded Iran, I think domestic politics would be the least of our concerns.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 04:59 AM

Bush has said the U.S. won't provide any troops for the multi-national force the UN is cobbling together. Obviously, they can't be spared because of Iraq and Afghanistan. I think it's a no-brainer that the same human resource deficit would put the kibosh on any plans to invade Iran.<br><br>Unless *light bulb over head* Bush has covertly endorsed stem cell research, and we now have 100,000 supertroops maturing in petri dishes somewhere in the Nevada desert! <br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 05:11 AM

My mistake. It was NBC. Here's the story. And just in case it gets pulled later:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> <br>UK, US Officials At Odds Over Terror Arrests' Timing -NBC<br>Sunday August 13rd, 2006 / 13h41<br> <br>NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- U.S. and U.K. authorities had a significant disagreement over when to move in on the suspects in the alleged plot to bring down trans-Atlantic airliners bound for the U.S., NBC News reported over the weekend, citing an unnamed senior British official with knowledge about the case.<br>The official, according to NBC, said U.K. police were planning to continue to run surveillance for at least another week to try to obtain more evidence, while U.S. officials pressured them to arrest the suspects sooner. The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case.<br>In contrast to previous reports, the official suggested an attack was not imminent, saying the suspects had not yet purchased any airline tickets. In fact, some did not even have passports.<br>The source did tell NBC, however, that police believe one U.K.-based suspect was ready to conduct a "dry run." U.K. authorities had wanted to let him go forward with part of the plan, but the Americans balked, according to the NBC report.<br>A top aide to U.K. President George W. Bush denied the account. "There was unprecedented cooperation and coordination between the U.S., the U.K. and Pakistani officials throughout the case," NBC quoted Frances Townsend, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism as saying. "And we worked together to protect our citizens from harm while ensuring that we gathered as much info as possible to bring the plotters to justice. There was no disagreement between U.S. and U.K. officials."<br>Another U.S. official, however, acknowledged to NBC that there was disagreement over timing.<br>The British official said the Americans also argued over the timing of the arrest of suspected ringleader Rashid Rauf in Pakistan, warning that if he was not taken into custody immediately, the U.S. would "render" him or pressure the Pakistani government to arrest him, NBC reported.<br>U.K. security officials were concerned that Rauf be taken into custody "in circumstances where there was due process," according to the official, so that he could be tried in British courts. Ultimately, this official told NBC, Rauf was arrested over the objections of the British.<p><hr></blockquote><p>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 12:17 PM

Seriously doubt it... heard another report from the Brits that clearly stated they kept USA out of the loop because they feared loose lips on American soil.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 12:50 PM

Hey, I don't write, 'em. I just read 'em. Besides, say it is true. It's awfully easy to believe the admin giving PR a higher priority than proper protocol.<br><br>

Re: WOW! - 08/13/06 01:07 PM

And stunts like this make that scenario even more plausible.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>By the time the president’s top political strategists met at his ranch on Friday for an annual summer fund-raiser, the events had given them an opportunity to pull together the Republican Party as it headed toward the home stretch of the campaign, rallying once more around Mr. Bush’s signature issue, the fight against terrorism.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Which reminds me, with so much at stake in the ME right now, why the hell hasn't he been in Washington for the past week(s)? At least looking like he's on top of things.<br><br>