human-animal hybrids

Posted by: sean

human-animal hybrids - 02/01/06 06:57 AM

i'll bet the human-animal hybrid lobby is going to be all over his ass today. <br><br>then again, it's nice to see bush resorting to using a straw man in the SOTU. i wouldn't expect anything less. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: StrawMan

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/01/06 07:53 AM

I like popcorn.<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/01/06 08:11 AM

hey matt. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/01/06 09:35 AM

I didn't see the SOTU so I thought you were joking. Joke's on me though. I can't believe that one slid through without people collapsing on the floor laughing. Does he think there's a race of dog-men in our future if he doesn't put a stop to it now?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/01/06 03:00 PM

It's not a joke at all. See?<br><br><br><br>I thought I'd jump in with the evidence before the right wing did.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 04:18 AM

Maybe this is what concerns some people.<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 06:14 AM

i'd be concerned too if that could lead to an artificial liver. man, that would sure suck. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 07:42 AM

I just wonder what with all the scares lately...... I know scientists put forward a theory that mad-cow disease possibly came about by feeding cows sheep bits that weren't fit for human consumption. And that vCJD could be caused from eating infected cattle.<br><br>People are watching bird flu mutate and jump to humans.<br><br>Is growing human ears on mice going to encourage some rodent virus to mutate such that humans can be infected by it?<br><br>Whilst I accept there are many incredible advances in science, I also think that these advances are being pushed at the expense of our humanity. "Saviour Babies" are being genetically created to provide possible donor matching for someone with a crippling disease. Does anyone else wonder at the efficacy of breeding humans to be used as spare parts banks - effectively denying them of their rights to life and liberty?<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..
Posted by: Trog

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 07:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Does anyone else wonder at the efficacy of breeding humans to be used as spare parts banks - effectively denying them of their rights to life and liberty?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Who on Earth is suggesting such a thing?<br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 08:39 AM

Bush's speech frustrates more than illuminates<br><br>"The crazy hybrid statement basically sums up the whole of the SotU address, <br>or really every speech the president has ever made. Ever.<br><br>The strategy is to make issues of non-issues, like human / animal hybrids or <br>steroids in baseball. If you say something weird enough, people forget the <br>actual points you should be addressing: This is how I end up giving bums change." <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Celandine on 02/03/06 11:45 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 10:52 AM

Stop limiting your information source to just those people whom you agree with. There are people out there who are raising concerns about people having "saviour babies" purely to provide a kidney, lung, bone marrow to another ailing child. Just asking a generic, is having a child primarily on the premise of using said child as spare parts morally acceptable?<br><br>From your response I'm assuming you haven't faced that thought yet, but there are people who are, and obviously some of them who are fairly vocal against it.<br><br>(and yes I have used verbiage that the people against it are using, since I've not heard the rabid supporters soap boxing for it yet)<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 11:43 AM

Would it be too much to ask you to spare me the lecture for a second and just answer the question? Who is suggesting such a thing? You know, if you think about it, that is a question I am asking, and I am asking someone I don't usually agree with...so that would give me information from a source... ah nevermind.<br><br>If the answer is some crazy nutjob that isn't associated with an organization capable of negotiation or discipline then what is the point of your initial argument anyway? ALL rational people would agree that babies shouldn't be "farmed" for such purposes. If they are renegade criminalistic individuals then we have no control over them anyway. Its like saying, "I don't think we should use nuclear technology to blow up babies". No [censored]. So, what, ban all use of anything to do with nuclear fission?<br><br>You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and you can't control the whole planet. The technology is already coming out, the only question is how we can use it for good, while attempting to prevent its misuse.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Hey, y'know... - 02/03/06 12:22 PM

Parts is parts. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 12:34 PM

In reply to:<br>Does anyone else wonder at the efficacy of breeding humans to be used as spare parts banks - effectively denying them of their rights to life and liberty?<br><br>Who on Earth is suggesting such a thing?<br><br>Maybe he's seen this movie a few too many times:<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 01:47 PM

<br>Well if it helps any...<br>check out the date of that mouse/ear article.<br><br>I follow a lot of scientific investigation, and I remember when that <br>medical break through was first made. It had absolutely nothing to <br>do with clones or hybrids.<br><br>The "ear" was grown on a teflon frame, using the patient's own cells <br>suspended in solution, then grafted to a hairless mouse (bred for that <br>purpose) so that the mouse could supply blood and oxygen to the <br>layer of cells as they multiplied.<br><br>At the time, the only outcry was from Animal Rights Activists, and as<br>in Pete's case, only AFTER having seen that rather shocking picture.<br><br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 02:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Stop limiting your information source to just those people whom you agree with.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Back atcha' <br>try doing your own investigation, rather than drooling on cue when someone rings a bell.<br><br><br>And to answer your concerns about MadCow Disease:<br>I think David can corroborate how it got into OUR food supply.<br><br>Yes, we know about turning herbivores into carnivores to recycle protein in order to<br>reap a bigger profit.... but do a bit of digging, and you'll come up with Lobbyists from<br>the Meat Packing Industry that contributed handsomely to the Republican Party to put<br>such practices back into use, even AFTER it was proven that it was the source of the<br>disease, and that it was indeed responsible for Crutchfield/Jacobs Disease in humans<br>when the prion crossed the bovine/human barrier.<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 02:30 PM

ok quick google here:<br>http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6195<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Ethical and humane<br>But while the ruling has given hope to such families, it has been attacked by pro-life and other opposition groups who say it turns babies into commodities. <br><br>"It's wrong to create a child simply as a means to an end, however good that end might be," says David King of the London-based lobby group, Human Genetics Alert. <br><br>But the authority is adamant that its ruling is practical, ethical and humane. "This treatment can benefit the whole family," said Suzi Leather, chair of the HFEA in a statement on Wednesday.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>So that would seem to support my contention that they are some groups worried about this practice. And as a corollerary - do you trust, government/big business not to see this as a market that can be exploited for financial gain?<br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Llewelyn on 02/03/06 05:33 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 02:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And to answer your concerns about MadCow Disease:<br>I think David can corroborate how it got into OUR food supply.<br><br>Yes, we know about turning herbivores into carnivores to recycle protein in order to<br>reap a bigger profit.... but do a bit of digging, and you'll come up with Lobbyists from<br>the Meat Packing Industry that contributed handsomely to the Republican Party to put<br>such practices back into use, even AFTER it was proven that it was the source of the<br>disease, and that it was indeed responsible for Crutchfield/Jacobs Disease in humans<br>when the prion crossed the bovine/human barrier.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I left that intentionally non-conclusive since I am not a practicing scientist, and I am not aware that an absolute causal link has been established in this case. Personally I accept that it is highly likely that this postulation is true, I personally have not proof and I do not know of any scientist that has been feeding infected sheep to cattle or infected cattle to humans deliberately to prove the case!!<br><br>I understand in this case that there is no 100% either way, but I figure this guess is playing with the odds.<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 02:50 PM

Ok, I've seen this. If this is what you're referring to then I misinterpreted your post. Your post was a follow-up to that old ear article, so I was inclined to believe you meant actual babies which would be used for organs, and not balls of stem cells that have never even been in a womb (and end up in the trash all over this country without any outrage from anyone).<br><br>So, it looks like we were arguing about two different things. <br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And as a corollerary - do you trust, government/big business not to see this as a market that can be exploited for financial gain?<p><hr></blockquote><p>What, this current government?? I wouldn't trust them to tie my shoes. But I think that is getting away from the point (at least mine). You said: "Whilst I accept there are many incredible advances in science, I also think that these advances are being pushed at the expense of our humanity."<br><br>Its not the technology thats bad, its how its used. I can think of some horrible things that could be done with a couple clamps and electricity. Damn you Edison! We should have killed you before you invented that abominable energy source!<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 03:02 PM

Not to mention the stuff that Madame Whiplash can do with a couple of clamps and some electricity!! <br><br>I thought the UK rules now allowed for parents to have the egg genetically manipulated so that a full term baby can be born into this world and used for bone marrow or kidney transplants - basically stuff we currently allow with living volunteer adults (you can opt to give a kindey to your sibbling should your genetic material be compatible).<br><br>I think the suggestion was that what if you get unscrupulous parents who have a baby to give a heart transplant to their ailing child - I'm really not sure that once people take having children who can donate organs and remain alive as acceptable how much longer before the suggestion of an organ farm birthing becomes accepted.<br><br>I think they're possibly using the "slippery slope" argument. As you say, once someone figures it out, there's nothing to stop them from doing it. But being able to do something doesn't make it moral.<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 03:05 PM

&[censored]?<br><br>"Such practices" were never banned. In 1997 the FDA stopped allowing most byproducts of cows, sheep and goats in cattle feed, but pigs and horses could still be used.<br><br>Then in 2004, the restrictions were actually tightened a bit more. But there still are loopholes, as in chickens can eat cow or sheep proteins, then be recycled and fed back to cows. But cows are not allowed to be <br><br>No, the bigger problem isn't the feed, it's the fact cows are now stuffed in a huge building hundreds of thousands all crammed together.<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/03/06 06:22 PM

HAHAHAHA. here's a gov't website promoting human-animal hybrids . . . and, it's for kids:<br><br>http://www.ready.gov/kids/home.html<br><br>too funny!<br><br>EDIT: HAHA again . . . just found another one from the NSA:<br><br><a href="http://www.nsa.gov/kids/">http://www.nsa.gov/kids/</a><br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sean on 02/03/06 09:37 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 12:56 AM

<br>That second link is very disturbing.<br><br>It reminds me too much of the Hitler Youth,<br>or the kids in the Communist Block that were<br>trained from a very tender age, to turn in their <br>own parents for Anti-PARTY dinner-table chat.<br><br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 06:32 AM

I "get it" from the bulletins that are sent out to other pertinent Government Agencies.<br>(Like I said, I believe as a member of the CDC (Center for Disease Control) David sees <br>the same alerts that we are sent through the United State Department of Agriculture.) <br><br>The Processing of so called "DOWNER COWS" (animals too sick to walk on their own<br>into the slaughterhouses) for Human Consumption was banned and then brought back.<br><br>As far as horses goes, brace yerself, Mate,.... "Madcow" has spread through all the<br>herd animals (but under different names, such as "Wasting Disease" or "Scrapies") <br>for years. Yeppers, swine, goats, sheep, cows, AND HORSES. And before you scoop <br>up your shotgun and head out the door... DOAN BOTHER! It's already spread through<br>the wild herds of Big Horns, Mule Deer, White Tails, Caribou, Moose, and Bison.<br><br>Both the CDC and the USDA have been ordered by this almighty administration, not <br>to share that information with the Public. It's one of the reasons that they're<br>"Revamping" the healthcare system, and limiting it to people able to work (for the<br>time being) since CJD, like Mesothelion, is one of those "S-L-O-W but SURE" killers.<br><br>The Insurance INDUSTRIES are gambling that you'll be too sick to keep up with the<br>co-payments, deductibles, and the premiums and be dropped before a diagnoses is <br>made, BEFORE you can bring a CLASS ACTION SUIT against either Meat Packers, the <br>Insurance Company, Lobbying Firms or (GOD FORBID) the Government, for allowing<br>it all in the first place.<br><br>"YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK" <br>BTW do you remember when we USED to vote people into office that were duty-bound <br>to PROTECT US? ((RATHER THAN PROTECTING THE INDUSTRIES AND THEIR FRIENDS))<br><br>But everything will change, now that Jus-tus Al-i-to is on the job! <br><br><br> y! roit!<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 06:56 AM

Bill To Stop Use Of Downer <br> Cows In Food Chain Stopped <br> Congress Scuttled Meat Protection Measure <br> Seattle Post-Intelligencer<br> 12-26-03<br> <br> <br> <br>WASHINGTON -- Legislation to keep meat from downed animals off American kitchen tables was scuttled - for the second time in as many years - as Congress labored unsuccessfully earlier this month to pass a catchall agency spending bill. <br>  <br>Now, in the wake of the apparent discovery of the first mad-cow case in the United States, the author of the House version of the cattle provision wants to press the issue anew when Congress returns Jan. 20 from its winter recess. The massive, $373 billion spending bill covering several government agencies is still pending in the Senate. <br>  <br>"I said on the floor of the House that you will rue the day that because of the greed of the industry to make a few extra pennies from 130,000 head, the industry would sacrifice the safety of the American people," said Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y., chief House sponsor. "It's so pound foolish." <br>  <br>The provision dealing with downed cattle didn't even make it into the compromise version of the legislation that House and Senate conferees brought before Congress late in the year. <br>  <br>The Agriculture Department estimates that 130,000 downed animals that are too injured or sick to stand or walk unassisted are slaughtered every year. About 36 million cows are slaughtered each year in the United States. <br>  <br>The provision, which started through the legislative process as an amendment to an agriculture spending bill, would have effectively prohibited the sale of livestock too sick or injured to stand or walk unassisted. <br>  <br>The agricultural spending bill passed - with the provision intact - on a Senate voice vote in November after failing by three votes in the House in July. But congressional negotiators did not include it in the broader, $373 billion omnibus spending bill that passed the House this month and which is still awaiting a vote in the Senate. <br>  <br>Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y., a negotiator who voted for the measure in the House, said Democratic negotiators never had a chance to fight for the proposal. <br>  <br>"The Republicans, the leadership, shut off the conference, they closed it down, and this is one of a number of provisions which were handled in a backroom deal without the Democrats there and with only the Republican leadership," said Hinchey. <br>  <br>Lawmakers and congressional aides said they consider it very unlikely that Congress would reopen the multibillion-dollar bill to deal with the issue. "I can't imagine that it would be," Rep. Henry Bonilla, R-Texas, an opponent of the measure, said. <br>  <br>A day after the government announced the first apparent case of mad cow disease in the United States - in a downed animal - lawmakers and interest groups on both sides of the issue said they had been vindicated. <br>  <br>The Humane Society of the United States has warned repeatedly that if the meat from a lone cow with the brain-wasting disease found its way into the food supply, other countries would cut off U.S. beef imports and consumer confidence would be shaken. "We are already seeing that play out," said Humane Society Vice President Wayne Pacelle. Japan, Taiwan and Mexico, the three largest importers, banned U.S. beef. <br>  <br>But opponents of the legislation said USDA inspectors might never have discovered the apparent presence of the disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, had Ackerman's legislation been in place. <br>  <br>Banning the sale of downed animals would prevent USDA inspectors from detecting possible cases because the animals would never reach the slaughterhouse for inspection, they said. <br>  <br>"The fact that it was caught is the significant thing for the consumer," said Rep. Charles Stenholm, D-Texas, the senior Democrat on the House Agriculture Committee. Stenholm has argued that federal inspectors are in the best position to keep sick animals, as opposed to those that can't walk but are otherwise healthy, out of the food chain. <br>  <br>Agriculture officials also have insisted that the food supply is safe because the animal parts most at risk of carrying the disease, the brain and spinal column, had been removed. "Muscle cuts of meat have almost no risk," Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said. <br>  <br>In the House, most Republicans as well as conservative and farm-state Democrats opposed the measure. <br>  <br>Both chambers passed similar provisions in their versions of the 2002 farm bill, but negotiators stripped the measure from the final version of that bill. <br>  <br>In both years, the National Milk Producers Federation lobbied successfully against the provision. <br>  <br>"If you don't allow movement off the farm, then you miss the opportunity to diagnose the problem," said Chris Galen, spokesman for the federation. <br>  <br><br>...[color:red]MORE</font color=red>...<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 07:27 AM

Bird flu, mad cow......a government that goes bump in the night,,,, please allow me to<br>add another worry to the list...<br>Depleted Uranium - A Hidden Looming Worldwide Calamity<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 10:16 AM

What's the problem ??<br><br>Just have a big GOP back yard BBQ and serve the "Downed cow meat "!! let the cows come home to roost !!<br><br>Better than:<br>Burger King... "How about a Double Downer !! have it YOUR way !! <br><br>Mc Donalds' : Big Downer !! ?? OK, how about a quarter-downer with cheeze ? <br><br>And the famous "What-a-Downer "!! from the former WHat-a Burger.<br><br>yes this beef is good for you !! The GOP approves it !!<br><br><br>what scumbags !!<br><br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 10:58 AM

<br>Good One! <br><br>"McDowner w/McFrankenFries" <br><br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/04/06 11:37 AM

<h1>[color:red]DEPLETED URANIUM</font color=red></h1><br><h1>GOD HELP US ALL</h1><br>I KNOW this stuff is for real:<br>"They" had approached my beufriend's Machine Shop.<br>that specializes in producing MEDICAL EQUIPMENT (fer kriseake!) to <br>make the prototypes of weapons delivery system to be used in Iraq.<br><br>When he told me about it, and told me about the sample mating part<br>that came shipped in a lead-lined box, I brought him to this web site <br>and it made him sick. He sent the URL to the owner of his company.<br><br>They turned down a multi-million dollar Government Contract just so <br>they could sleep nights, knowing they took no part in this abomination.<br><br>...Some other company gladly picked up the contract....<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/05/06 04:13 PM

BUMP<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 03:53 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The Processing of so called "DOWNER COWS" (animals too sick to walk on their own<br>into the slaughterhouses) for Human Consumption was banned and then brought back.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm sorry, perhaps you should re-read your own post. You weren't talking about downer cows, you were talking about animals being fed to cows for protein:<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yes, we know about turning herbivores into carnivores to recycle protein in order to reap a bigger profit.... but do a bit of digging, and you'll come up with Lobbyists from the Meat Packing Industry that contributed handsomely to the Republican Party to put such practices back into use, even AFTER it was proven that it was the source of the disease<p><hr></blockquote><p>Nice attempt to cover your mistake however.<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 04:03 PM

Living in the backyard of the nation's largest proving grounds where possibly millions of DU rounds were fired, I suppose I should be glowing, huh?<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 06:15 PM

This stuff doesn't make you glow but you should check the size of the squirrel's nuts in your backyard. If they are the same size as your nuts you might have a problem. No wait, you live there too. Better to compare them to the nuts of a visiting small woodland animal. But not an ROUS. Stay away from them.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>(__*__)

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 06:29 PM

Or if his nuts are the same size as a squirrel's, I'd say he has another problem. <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 06:41 PM

Yes, good point. In my description the squirrel would be the one having a problem. Likely jumping from branch to branch would be more difficult. In your description I think Mrs Sarge would have the problem, keeping from laughing.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>(__*__)

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/06/06 06:48 PM

So maybe we fix up Mrs. Sarge and Rocky? <br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/07/06 02:47 AM

<center><br><br><br><br><br><br><br></center><br><br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/07/06 03:14 AM

I don't want to bum you out.<br>But I'm still mourning for the MW Forum God<br>that died of cancer while living where things go "Parumph" in the night.<br>(semi-private joke, if you get it, (and you knew Grant) you'd understand)<br><br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/07/06 10:31 AM

No the squirrels have normal sized nuts, but the crabs have been tossing the lid off the steamer lately. Those proving grounds back right up to the Chesapeake. Last batch a few crawled out and saddled up to the poker table. Bastards only wanted to play Texas Hold 'em. Wussies.<br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/07/06 12:17 PM

Sorry about the mix-up:<br><br>I meant that there's a chance that those sick cows("downer cows")<br>that May Have Been fed feed containing animal protein at one time<br>or another, and may now be entering the human food chain.<br><br>It's a cycle. It just depends which part of that cycle you're referring to.<br><br>BTW, even if that cow becomes pet food, the prions are still active<br>and even when "Fluffy" goes to meet it's maker, those prions will go<br>into the soil, and into the ground water, and enter the cycle at that<br>point. (Through the grass, and into a grazing animal, or into water to<br>a fish, and back up the food chain.) LOL maybe the card playing crab<br>you're playing host to at your card game! <br><br>

Re: human-animal hybrids - 02/07/06 02:49 PM

I prefer my prions pork fried. :)<br><br>