I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook

Posted by: newkojak

I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 06:16 AM

This is from today's Tribune:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Miers Firm Received Bush Campaign Payments<br><br>By Frank Bass<br>Associated Press Writer<br>Published October 21, 2005, 2:41 AM CDT<br><br>WASHINGTON -- George W. Bush's rising political fortunes provided a windfall for Harriet Miers' law firm. <br><br>Campaign records show Bush's Texas gubernatorial campaigns paid Miers a total of $163,000 in legal fees, most of it for work done during the future president's 1998 re-election bid. <br><br>Some senators are planning to explore Miers' legal work for Bush during her confirmation process to be the newest Supreme Court justice, but the White House says it won't release any memos detailing that work. <br><br>"I think people across the country recognize the importance of attorney-client privilege," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. <br><br>Reports filed with the Texas Ethics Commission show that two payments of $70,000 were made to Miers' Locke, Purnell, Rain and Harrell firm in Dallas within a month of each other during the 1998 campaign. Another $16,000 in payments were made between March and December 1999. <br><br>The 1998 totals dwarfed the $7,000 Bush paid Miers' firm during his first run for governor in 1994, and are extremely large for campaign legal work in Texas, an expert said. <br><br>"I'm baffled," said Randall B. Wood, a partner in the Austin firm of Ray, Wood and Bonilla, and former director of Common Cause of Texas. "I've never seen that kind of money spent on a campaign lawyer. It's unprecedented." (continues...)<p><hr></blockquote><p>I suppose it's acceptable among Bush's people to spread money around their immediate sphere of influence, but isn't this just getting a little bit weird? The reaction from the Senate to this nomination is the only possible response to this stuff: complete befuddlement. I also love how Scott McClellan and the White House is trying to hide these obvious conflicts of interests in attorney-client privilege. Was this their plan all along? It just doesn't make any sense. A normal, sane person would think that a personal relationship in the past would be enough of a disqualification to strike their nomination off the list.<br><br>This is just insulting.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: polymerase

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 07:24 AM

Doesn't it look like Scott McClellan is going to lose it soon? Or has he done it already? His smile has turned to the maniacal with occasional inappropriate giggle while he skirts question after question. Bush probably wishes he could dig up Ron Ziegler to replace him. Ziegler was the original "Baghdad Bob".<br><br>Back to thread: I hope every Democratic Senator sits on their hands and buttons their lips and let the republicans eat their own during Mier's confirmation hearings.<br><br><br><br><br> (__*__)
Posted by: drjohn

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 08:06 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I hope every Democratic Senator sits on their hands and buttons their lips<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hahaha. They'd (either party) explode!<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 10:07 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Back to thread: I hope every Democratic Senator sits on their hands and buttons their lips and let the republicans eat their own during Mier's confirmation hearings.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That is the exact same advice that I heard Rush offer to the Dems yesterday. I always suspected you were a closet ditto head. <br><br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 11:09 AM

<br>...either that or "What-a-Rush" is. <br><br>The comic bit is that we weren't suppose to figure<br> out that Ms. Meirs was never the REAL First Choice.<br><br>Like no one saw the set-up that was expected to make Dems <br>howl with outrage in order to call down the NUKULAR EXCUSE<br>to appoint someone many times as radical and "evil minded". <br><br>So, yes, <br>we're getting quite a giggle out of watching "Plan A" back-fire<br>as the neo-CONS are forced to eat their own to enact "Plan B".<br><br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 11:14 AM

But the real kicker is that the Dems won't have the sense to keep quiet. <br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 11:31 AM

Why not? They did during the whole build up to the Iraq War.<br><br>Okay, lame joke... moving along.<br><br>The Democrats have actually been very good lately with their strategic silence. There were a few comments made by some Democrats on the Judicial committee, but keep a close eye on what the Democrats do. They're going to get their two cents in and that's it. They're fine to watch the Republicans jump all over the nominee because they know that being lock-step with the President is not as valuable politically as it was before. The Republicans need to save face by taking on the President on his obvious errors and this is one of them.<br><br>Just look at what happened during the FEMA Congressional hearings after Hurricane Katrina. The Democrats boycotted because they thought it would not be fair. So the Republicans had to fill the void and essentially appear to clean up their own mess. In the end, it just looked like political opportunism, a judgement that lay squarely at the Republicans feet.<br><br>Now, if you're listening to Rush, (and despite your comments elsewhere in this thread, I won't assume you do all the time) you're going to hear a different story. The A-Number 1-Primo thing for GOP talking heads to do lately has been to complain that the Democrats are blowing things out of proportion or that the Democrats, as Tony Blankley puts it all the time, are "overplaying their hand." The funny thing is that I hear more about Democrats from Republican talking heads than I do from Democrats. It's safe to say that any political partisan is a poor source for information about the other party.<br><br>(by the way mojo... you need to post here more)<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 11:46 AM

This whole Miers nomination is confounding on many levels. I will be honest and admit that I do not know much about her or have taken the time to research her qualifications. It's convention time for me in my business and I am quite distracted. (Just spent the week in AC at Ceasar's Palace and lost a boatload of $$$ in addition to a week's worth of lost sleep). However, I do know this much. Either Miers is not the true choice or she is farther right than we are led to believe. I need to find out more before I pass final judgement. <br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 11:52 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>That is the exact same advice that I heard Rush offer to the Dems yesterday. I always suspected you were a closet ditto head. <p><hr></blockquote><p>OMG, and I have taken oxycodeine once in my life and I like the Apple Macintosh platform. I share a trifecta with Satan! I am a ditto head! <br><br> poly leaps out window <br><br><br><br><br><br><br> (__*__)
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 12:32 PM

OMG Poly defenestrated himself!!!!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 01:23 PM

HA! That's what they said about 'The Comedian'.<br>...but as we found out later it was all a cover up.<br><br>'rEpENt tHE enD iS NEaR!'<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 03:03 PM

Of used the botanical term "fenestrated" so I ahd to look up the alternative definition to defenestrate. Learn something new every day. In biology, something that is fenestrated has holes in it. A seed pod or a bandage can be fenestrated. I was trying to figure out how I could be removing my holes when I finally figured out going out the opening was the dealio.<br><br>Fortunately I was on the first floor. <br><br><br><br><br><br> (__*__)

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/21/05 04:40 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/22/05 02:45 AM

Rorshach. Fascinating character, right to the very end.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/22/05 06:36 AM

<br>Which "end" is that?<br><br>If you recall,<br>not only did he crack the case<br>and vindicate his sanity, but<br>his diary survived long enough<br>to fulfilled his credo*<br>...he had 'the final say'.<br><br>"There is good, and there is evil<br>Even in the face of Armageddon<br>...evil must be punished."<br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/22/05 02:28 PM

"Which "end" is that?"<br><br>All of 'em.<br><br>While we're on themes in Watchmen, one of my favorite themes that we haven't touched on yet is a theme that jumped out at me the first time I read it, some one who had read way too many comic books. That theme being; if there really were superheroes, people who dressed up in spandex, who made alter egos and all that, they would most likely deviant people, using their costumes as some kind of coping mechanism and enabler no differently than a cross-dresser. Watchmen was so good, that I gradually went off comic books, because there was so little that could compare to it out there.<br><br>Have you read V is for Vengeance? Another good one by Moore.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/22/05 05:25 PM

<center><br><br><br><br><h2>[color:red]People Shouldn't Fear Their Government...</font color=red></h2><br><br><br></center><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/22/05 10:45 PM

They're making a movie?! Man am I behind! Yeah, right, it's V for Vendetta, not vengeance.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 01:26 AM

I assume you know that there are about a dozen movies<br>out there that are based upon Alan Moore's work.<br><br>...so far the Watchmen remains out of anyone's grasp.<br>It's just too intricate to capture in a single movie, and<br>they obviously don't think there's enough interest to<br>make a series of movies. I think they're wrong.<br><br>But they've already wasted so much time that the material<br>that was revolutionary in it's time, is losing it's edge due<br>to pale copies and rip-offs since then.<br><br>Face it, Alan Moore put the "KINK" into "ink"! As you stated<br>above, no one before him ever dared to get 'under the mask'<br>and see what made these guys tick. It opened up one hellova<br>can of worms.<br><br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 01:32 AM

I knew about Constantine and the League of EG but had never heard about From Hell (whatever that is) or that V for Vendetta was being made into a movie. I t was easier to stay in the loop when I was in the US. I gotta start paying more attention!<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 02:44 AM

"[color:red]From Hell</font color=red>" was a Detective Story set it Victorian England<br>about the quirky, drug-addicted (absinthe) detective that<br>pursued the case of 'Jack the Ripper'.<br><br>VERY Dark Stuff.<br><br><br>I'm not exactly "in the loop" myself.<br>I grew out of "comic books" by the time I was 12 or so.<br>I got reintroduced to "Graphic Novels" in my mid twenties<br>while attending art school. One of my teachers used to <br>illustrate for such as "Creepy", "Eerie", and "Heavy Metal"<br><br>The art was GREAT---in fact LEGENDARY--- but the stories<br>were shallow shock-value crap, so I soon lost interest.<br><br>In my mid forties, someone forced a copy of The Watchmen<br>on me and I was extremely impressed at how the genre <br>had matured. <br><br>...but I still don't follow what's out there all that much.<br>There's just too much noise. (crap on the racks) It's a<br>business like any other. The really good stuff rises to the<br>surface, and I manage to skim it off when I find the time.<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 02:55 AM

I can't imagine ever wanting to see Watchmen made into a movie. Even if it were any good, they would have to take so much stuff out to make it work, and that would be gutting it right there. I truly hope that project never gets off the ground.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 03:13 AM

<br>I've come to agree with you.<br><br>Let the work stand as is and on it's own.<br><br>Other than that would be like giving Mona Lisa a make-over<br><br>...PLEASE DON'T... <br><br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 03:19 AM

Now, as a musical, that would be something. <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 03:23 AM

oooooooooooooooonnn the other hand............<br><br>Did you know <br>that Alan Moore's FIRST PICK to direct the Watchmen<br>was Terry Gilliam? ("12 Monkeys" & "Time Bandits" )<br>The second pick was Ridley Scott ("Blade Runner")<br><br>When neither of them was able to pare down the script<br>without exactly as you say "gutting it" they continued<br>to keep tossing the project to one director after another<br>with increasingly poor results. <br><br>It had become the like "The Philosopher's Stone" or<br>"The Quest For the Holy Grail" just chasing something<br>that was always just beyond reach.<br><br>Like you said. 'Better to just leave it be.'<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 03:27 AM

SHEER GENIUS! With a CHORUS LINE! <br>Scads of Gooey Girls Virtually DRIPPING <br>with Faux Jewelry! One, Two, KICK-Turn!<br><br>IT COULD WORK! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 08:49 AM

Who was your teacher? I loved all that old Creepy and Eerie stuff from the 60s.<br><br>Watchmen would be better as a mini-series on HBO. Condensing it to fit into a 2-hour movie is near-impossible, IMO.<br><br>Instead of Watchmen, I wish someone would make a movie of Moore's Miracleman. Much better story than Watchmen (again, IMO) and the first six issues would condense down to a 2-hour movie pretty easily. <br><br>The biggest flaw with Watchmen is it's let's-create-a-common-enemy-so-we'll-all-stop-fighting ending. Such a great buildup to a rather cliched ending. Moore's usually better than that. But it IS a fun ride.<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 10:51 AM

<br>My teacher wasn't one of the biggies (like Frank Frazetta or Rich Corbin or Bernie Wrightson)<br>Gosh it's been so long that I even forgot his first name. OH YEAH! "MISTER"! Mr, Brown <br><br>MiracleMen WAS made into a movie, wasn't it? I seem to remember Wm. F. Macey<br>but I didn't read the Graphic Novels, someone just told me that Alan Moore wrote those<br>when he was in his early teens.<br><br>Actually, the Common-Enemy-Premise was redone from an old Outer Limits episode<br>that starred David McCallum if I recall. The Premise was a sound one, even though it had <br>been done before (In fact, BUSH is using it NOW! as "The Necessary Pearl Harbor") <br><br>But Moore was using it merely as a vehicle to create a complete alter. universe. One that<br>diverged from ours when The Comedian assassinated heads of state during the Vietnam<br>War, and even the Watergate Break-In never came to light, since Woodward & Bernstein<br>were also "eliminated" and Nixon was elected to an unprecedented 3rd term in office.<br> And even The Comedian said, ...Just don't ask him where he was when JFK "got it". <br><br>So the line between the good guys and the bad were never clearly delineated.<br><br>Without a doubt, that kidnapper fed that little girl to the dogs, but Walter Kovacs <br>took the law into his own hands when he handcuffed him to the radiator and burned the<br> building down. As the kidnapper died Rorscah was born.<br><br>Insecure, cross-dressing rapists that needed latex to get it up. Very Weird Stuff indeed.<br><br>Ever since then many relationships that were here to fore taken for granted, such as the <br>one between the Batman & "the Boy Wonder" has raised an eyebrow or two. y<br><br>ANYWAY, Go back and pull it out again, I think you'll see parallels between their world<br>and ours that didn't ring quite true until the convert actions that we see swirling around<br>us in the past few years. What happened in that 20 year old book parallels OUR Universe<br>as closely as theirs did to the Ghost Ship in the 'comic within the comic'. <br><br>Watching The Popular Media is us hanging around the NewsStand.<br><br>Suddenly you'll find yourself asking "Quis Custodiet ipsos Custodes?" <br><h2>"Who Watches the Watchmen"</h2><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 11:08 AM

I'll have to dig out some old issues and see if a "Brown" is listed. Those magazines were resurrected a couple of times so he may have worked on a later incarnation.<br><br>So far, no Miracleman movie has been made. Considering how convoluted the ownership issue is, I doubt it ever will.<br><br>If you enjoyed Watchmen, look it up. Moore takes Captain Marvel's incredibly stupid origin (yeah, how many superhero origins weren't incredibly stupid?) and actually turns in a plausible explanation, at least from a science-fiction point of view.<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 11:20 AM

Someone on an Alternative Forum <~DA~DUM~<br>said just last night, that she was shocked to have enjoyed<br>the New Batman Movie "Batman Begins" because she'd previously<br>never known the origin of the Batman, even though he's been around since the 1930's<br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 01:53 PM

I have never gotten around to reading the Miracleman stuff, though I have heard great things about it. Maybe I can scare up something on eBay...<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 06:49 PM

<br>HeeHeeHeeHee<br>Mia Culpa Wow-EE Was I ever off base! *slaps head*<br>Just got the word from my ComicBook-Freakoid Friend<br><br>The Movie I was thinking of was MysteryMen<br>That's a Superhero Spoof starring Frank Azaria, Wm.S Macy, Ben Stiller etc.<br><br><br><br>

Re: I know her heart, and furnished her pocketbook - 10/23/05 06:53 PM

Yeah, I knew you were thinking of that, I just didn*t get around to correcting it. They were based on characters from a very different independent comic called the Flaming Carrot. Sadly, the Flaming Carrot never appears in the movie.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Alan Moore, etc. - 10/23/05 07:01 PM

Flaming Carrot!<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Alan Moore, etc. - 10/23/05 07:04 PM

E-GAD! *slaps YOUR Head*<br><br>