You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie

Posted by: steveg

You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 03:46 PM

Just saw some footage of Brown being grilled about KatrinaGate by what I think was a senate committe. He sat their and unblushingly placed every last shred of blame on state & local officials. It was utterly despicable.<br><br>
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 03:54 PM

I don't know all the facts, but from talking to the guys I know who were there on the ground, the blame is well placed. Yes mistakes were made by FEMA. Hell our own team learned some things from this deployment, but then we learn something from every deployment. FEMA was handed a cluster Fsck in progress. They are not equipt, trained, or chartered to clean up a local governments cluster Fsck. Everyone I have talked to agree, to the man, that if Nagan, and the Gov of La had done their jobs, FEMA could have done theirs, and things would have been much different.<br><br><br>Salus populi suprema lex
Posted by: garyW

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 04:02 PM

I've read today where he's flat out lied on many questions, lies that have documents and other testimony to prove him wrong. All this will come out over the next few days. Nagin said today: ""His record is clear, my record is clear" - "the spin isn't going to work this time."<br><br>"Blanco vehemently denied that she waited until the eve of the storm to order an evacuation of New Orleans. She said her order came on the morning of Aug. 27 two days before the storm resulting in 1.3 million people evacuating the city.<br><br>"Such falsehoods and misleading statements, made under oath before Congress, are shocking," Blanco said in a statement" link<br><br><br>The funniest one was when asked about his earlier admission on Thursday that week that he had just learned about evacuees at the convention center, but today he denied that he said that. link<br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 05:05 PM

Sorry, Larry. I absolutely respect your unique qualifications in these matters, but I have to believe there were mis-steps up and down the line: local, state, and Fed. But for Brown -- who is clearly out of his depth -- to just flatly reject any culpability is simply not salient. I think one of those show horses must've kicked him in the head. <br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 05:23 PM

Brown testified that everything worked well in Mississippi, unlike Louisiana. The congressman from Mississippi on the panel today gave Brown and FEMA an "F-" for the response in his state. How did Nagin and Blanco manage to cause that?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 05:32 PM

Like I said I don't know all the facts, and I really don't want to speculate. I have no doubt there were screw ups, but for now all I know for sure is what the guys who were deployed have reported. Plus I don't trust the press any farther than I can throw them.<br><br><br>Salus populi suprema lex

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 05:45 PM

Well I don't exactly trust the press either. Not as far as I can throw Brown. But all I'm hearing from this guy is excuse after accusation after excuse.<br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 05:52 PM

Notice how he trashed officials in LA but didn't mention Mississippi cause his fellow GOPer T. Lott was Gov of that state ! <br><br>Also if something is urgent - you send an Email?? idiot !! What happened to cell phones or direct pvt lines ?? What a maroon!!<br><br>To be fair Brown probably knew not to disturb GWs vacation and brush clearing- TOP priority !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 06:08 PM

Makes you wonder how Brown would have done today if the Democrats didn't boycott? Jeez, the Republicans on the panel showed some backbone <br><br><br>Another BIG LIE to congress should get Brown a purgery charge. He was asked why the first Federal/Presidentiall State of Emergency doc didn't include NO or the other coastal parishes, he said Blanco didn't include it in her request. That's total BS, and the second Federal Emergency doc included it a day later. Brown knew that, but he lied. <br><br>So why did the first Fed State of Emergency omit those parishes even though they were included on Blanco's request? What it partisan politics being played out before the storm even hit? Sounds like it to me. Maybe the Republicans on this panel will expose this crime against the people of LA, they seem pissed off enough to actually get some truth out into the light.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 06:19 PM

"I know what I'm doing."<br><br>That whopper alone should net him 10 years. And exactly which 150 previous Federal disaster projects did he oversee? Skinned knee, lost puppy, wife locked the keys in the SUV, ran out of steak sauce, hangnail, child-proof cap, cracked iPod Nano screen...? <br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 07:01 PM

"The funniest one was when asked about his earlier admission on Thursday that week that he had just learned about evacuees at the convention center, but today he denied that he said that."<br><br>I even remember when he said that, and I haven't been watching all this as closely as some.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 07:03 PM

I can't even to begin to discuss this in civil language! Suffice it to say that this is the same arrogance and refusal to be accountable that has permeated the entire administration from the top down from day one! To sit and whine that 'I didn't have approval to do what I knew needed to be done' as an excuse for inaction is simply poor management/leadership. Do what you know is the right thing to do and get the forkin approval later!<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/27/05 07:59 PM

i responded to you previously with regard to the role of FEMA. <a href="http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=politics&Number=252801&Search=true&Forum=politics&Words=FEMA&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=252659">here it is</a><br><br><br>--<br>nobody has been held accountable for the poor (mis)intelligence on iraq or how it was used to justify a war in which people have died. nobody!
Posted by: DLC

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 05:26 AM

you left out the biggest states of emergencies declared by Bush:<br><br>1. no WMDs found in Iraq.<br>2. OBL got away.<br>3. damm lost my notes for Kerry Debate #1 !<br>4. dang that Brush on my ranch sure grows fast !<br>5. Why can't my brother control his twins ?<br><br><br><br><br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 07:44 AM

Personally, I think there's been enough of a history of corruption in New Orleans to give this guy at least *some* benefit of the doubt - no?<br><br>I think there's more to this story than Nagin and Blanco are revealing - I think they just happened to be the first ones chirping to the media about how they're not getting any help. What was Brown supposed to do - b*tch about the 'dysfunction' and mismanagement of state affairs *while* he's trying to do his job? <br><br>My .02<br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 11:14 AM

Nobody gets a free pass on tis one, Pete. Nagin was out of his depth too, but at least he acknowledged it. "Brownie" wants the full teflon suit, and it just doesn't fit.<br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 11:21 AM

Nagin and Blanco did not cause the FEMA fsckup in Mississippi either.<br><br><br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 11:31 AM

I did say *some* benefit of the doubt, but to me it seems a little too hip to be jumping on Brown for *everything* that went wrong with this situation in New Orleans - police walking off the job, etc. <br><br>Nagin was ALL over the news as soon as things started to get rough -crying about the government's lack of action. IMO not enough blame's being placed on Louisiana's lack of *preparedness*...<br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 11:35 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't trust the press any farther than I can throw them.<p><hr></blockquote><p>All you really have to do is trust your eyes and ears. Listen to what GoodJobBrownie said at the hearings. Read some transcripts. This clown is beyond a reality check. He's way over his own rainbow.<br><br>For example:<br><br>[color:blue] Brown told a House panel investigating relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina that it's wrong for the federal government to be providing ice to keep "beer and diet coke cool."</font color=blue><br><br>link<br><br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 11:36 AM

You're missing the point, Pete. This isn't a/b a blame fest exclusively aimed at Brown. It's a/b Brown refusing to shoulder responsibility for those screw-ups that were his and his alone. And to deny making statements that are already on record peels away another layer of credibility.<br><br>No one is saying it's all his doing. But he's saying NONE of it is. Bad form.<br><br>

Re: You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie - 09/28/05 12:02 PM

Point taken - but the man brings up his past record of dealing with such disasters (125 I believe he was quoted on?) - and so I ask why have none of them been as big of a fiasco as with N.O.? Surely Louisiana's own personnel could have shouldered some of the load...instead you had local officials throwing in the towel in the first few days...<br><br>I know I'm not shedding any new light on the matter, but IMO expectations seemed much too high for one government agency in dealing with such a crisis. And for all the anti-Bush sentiment around here, I wonder why anyone was surprised at the handling of it all. <br><br><br><br>