A disaster of epic proportions

Posted by: garyW

A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:28 AM

August 30, 2005. The damage to lives and property by Katrina keeps getting worse and worse as the news reports come in tonight. This storm and it's path has been in the news for at least five days now. Our president did offer a soundbite on the tarmac today in Arizona on his way to a fundraiser. Then to California for a photo op "Town Hall" meeting on Medicare, then to Coronodo Island for another GOP fundraiser.<br><br>Today was a day of national crisis. All over America people were focused on the unfolding tragedy. The lose of life, The impact to our economy. The billions of dollars in damage. And when I read the news and see our president not focused on the disaster, I think it's shameful. <br><br>Possibly hundreds of Americans died or are dying today because of Katrina, and Bush is out and about on Airforce One skipping across states raising money and charming his way through photo ops. I think he could have rescheduled, it would just seem more respectful. <br><br><br><br><br>To one participant, Margaret Cantrell, 82, Mr. Bush insisted that while her Social Security benefits might be secure, she needed to worry about the program's survival for future generations.<br><br>"Your great-grandkids need to worry about it," Mr. Bush said.<br><br>"I don't have any," Ms. Cantrell said.<br><br>"Well - you might," Mr. Bush replied.<br><br>link<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:15 AM

Bush is just sticking to what he knows he can do well. Leadership? Not his strong suit. But he's one hell of a fundraiser, and when it comes to barnstorming unpopular and fiscally unsound domestic policy... top notch!<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: DLC

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 03:50 AM

Can he ever wipe that smirky "sht-eating" grin off his face?<br><br>I notice it a lot and that's his "style" - but it is very disturbing when he talks about life and death matters... like he did in his 1st response to Cindy Sheehan...<br><br>Bush needs a new "Drama coach" !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 04:27 AM

Agreed! ...That's why I refer to him as "the Smirking Chimp" <br><br>Even when he's giving speeches about troops dying, you can always<br>detect that smirk flitting across his face, as if it's all some big joke, <br>...and he's the only one that knows the Punch-Line.<br><br>Aside from a strong urge to punch him in the mouth (up to my elbow),<br><br>...I find my self hoping that this little JO doesn't play poker. <br>(...and if he does, ...that it's NOT with OUR Money!!!! )<br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>
Posted by: sean

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 04:55 AM

Coronodo Island . . . suhweeeet! <br><br>--<br>nobody has been held accountable for the poor (mis)intelligence on iraq or how it was used to justify a war in which people have died. nobody!
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 08:29 AM

GHAAA! That damn George Bush! The *least* he could do is ride in to New Orleans on a Jet Ski or something . . . He just doesn't care . . . never has. Why, I remember last year, during those terrible Hurricanes, with all the suffering, Bush just sat on the White House deck, sipping fruity drinks, laughing . . . <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>And, he hasn't said a GODD@MN WORD about Hurricane Katrina . . . He just doesn't care!<br><br><blockquote>THE PRESIDENT: This morning I spoke with FEMA Undersecretary Mike Brown and emergency management teams not only at the federal level but at the state level about the -- Hurricane Katrina. I've also spoken to Governor Blanco of Louisiana, Governor Barbour of Mississippi, Governor Bush of Florida, and Governor Riley of Alabama. I want to thank all the folks at the federal level and the state level and the local level who have taken this storm seriously. I appreciate the efforts of the governors to prepare their citizenry for this upcoming storm.<br><br>Yesterday, I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Louisiana, and this morning I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Mississippi. These declarations will allow federal agencies to coordinate all disaster relief efforts with state and local officials. We will do everything in our power to help the people in the communities affected by this storm.<br><br>Hurricane Katrina is now designated a category five hurricane. We cannot stress enough the danger this hurricane poses to Gulf Coast communities. I urge all citizens to put their own safety and the safety of their families first by moving to safe ground. Please listen carefully to instructions provided by state and local officials.</blockquote><br><br>link<br><br><blockquote>As David said, we're praying for the folks that have been affected by this Hurricane Katrina. We're in constant contact with the local officials down there. The storm is moving through, and we're now able to assess damage, or beginning to assess damage. And I want the people to know in the affected areas that the federal government and the state government and the local governments will work side-by-side to do all we can to help get your lives back in order.<br><br>This was a terrible storm. It's a storm that hit with a lot of ferocity. It's a storm now that is moving through, and now it's the time for governments to help people get their feet on the ground.<br><br>For those of you who prayed for the folks in that area, I want to thank you for your prayers. For those of you who are concerned about whether or not we're prepared to help, don't be. We are. We're in place. We've got equipment in place, supplies in place. And once the -- once we're able to assess the damage, we'll be able to move in and help those good folks in the affected areas. (Applause.)</blockquote><br><br>link<br><br><br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 08:54 AM

He was fundraising the day of the event. He was doing photo-ops the day of the event. Post all you want of his earlier photo ops in Florida, it doesn't change what happened 8/29/05.<br><br>Yesterday he was schmoozing with deep pocket in AZ. Last night he was schmoozing with deep pockets at Hotel Del. <br><br><br><br>Today, this is what I expected from him yesterday. Better late than...<br><br>"SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - President George W. Bush will return to Washington on Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina, the White House announced."<br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 10:29 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>He was fundraising the day of the event. He was doing photo-ops the day of the event.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ooohh yes, yes Gary, of course. Of course. Matter of fact, Bush worked it so those Hurricanes would strategically hit Florida in order to create said photo ops. I gotta hand it to you Gary, you're on it. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Post all you want of his earlier photo ops in Florida, it doesn't change what happened 8/29/05.<p><hr></blockquote><p>What? What does that mean? Yesterday at this time Hurricane Francis was just finishing up hammering the Gulf Coast. The situation hasn't even stabilized in New Orleans yet. And what would you have preferred Bush do? Air drop in to downtown New Orleans and ride around the city on a Jet Ski? Ohh no, Gary. If Bush had done that, it would've been a "photo op." <br><br>Typically you, Gary. <br><br>Bush is doing what he should do at this moment: Let the leaders of the affected areas assess the damage. Meanwhile:<br><br><blockquote>Pres. Bush Returning to Washington Early<br>Tuesday, August 30, 2005<br><br>CORONADO, Calif. — President Bush will cut short his vacation to return to Washington on Wednesday to help monitor federal efforts to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina (search), the White House said Tuesday.<br><br>"We have got a lot of work to do," Bush said in his speech Tuesday, referring to the damage wrought by the hurricane along Gulf Coast areas.<br><br>The president had been scheduled to return to the nation's capital on Friday, after spending more than four weeks operating from his ranch in Central Texas. But the White House decided to move the president's return up to Wednesday.<br><br>Bush was here to deliver a speech commemorating the Allies' World War II victory over Japan and promoting his war-on-terror agenda. Later Tuesday, he was flying back to Texas, but spending only one night at his ranch.<br><br>"This morning, our hearts and prayers are with our fellow citizens along the Gulf Coast," Bush told Navy sailors and World War II veterans, the USS Ronald Reagan (search) aircraft carrier at his back. "We know that many are anxious to return to their homes. It's not possible at this moment."</blockquote><br><br>link<br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>
Posted by: sean

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 10:36 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> CORONADO, Calif. — President Bush will cut short his vacation to return to Washington<p><hr></blockquote><p>oooh coronado again. <br><br>dang media only wrote, "his vacation" when they really should have written, "his vacation from his vacation." <br><br>--<br>nobody has been held accountable for the poor (mis)intelligence on iraq or how it was used to justify a war in which people have died. nobody!

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 10:51 AM

Why do you post exactly what I posted with todays news report? You're not reading, just jumping to conclusions? <br><br><br>"and what would you have preferred Bush do? "<br><br>Exactly what he announced today, returning to DC to take care of business. (That's why I posted the same news brief you didn't bother to read)...<br> He was Fundraising on the day of the disaster, and like I said in my first post, that didn't show a lot of respect for the people in crisis.<br><br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 11:04 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>He was Fundraising on the day of the disaster, and like I said in my first post, that didn't show a lot of respect for the people in crisis.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And again, what would you have Bush do? Cancel plans on the people who paid money to see the President speak, fly to New Orleans and personally conduct air-lift rescue missions on-board Marine One . . . DURING the Hurricane? Or, would you rather sit back, wrinkle up your nose and use this as yet another reason to affirm your nattering Bush-hater status? Oh wait . . .<br><br>Meanwhile, it's the day after the Hurricane. Bush is heading back to Washington to deal with the disaster. But Ahhhhh yes . . . his returning to DC is just another "political move." <br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 11:38 AM

Yes cancel the fundraising plans and head back to DC. I've said it three times. It's not political, it's the job. I say the right thing to do would have been to reschedule, fly back to DC and start things moving that day rather than Wed. <br><br>The Katrina crisis was a known entity, several days the warnings were out that this would be a catastrophe. The disaster should dictate his schedule, not wealthy GOP donors.<br><br>I guess there's nothing to argue then. You say it's the right thing to do on the day of the crisis to be fundraising and talking up Medicare to a "Town Hall" photo op. You say it's the right thing not to alter the schedules of the GOP ultra-wealthy. <br><br>I see the images of the people suffering from Katrina. I have no sympathy for the important schedules of the fundraising attendees. <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 11:41 AM

That "smirk" is the clearest sign of the man's fear of his own position. Never in my lifetime has there been a president so profoundly ignorant of the power he wields, nor one with SO little self-confidence and lack of "worldly" knowledge. The U.S. has never been laughed at as hard nor hated so much since this current boob.<br><br>I will never understand how/why an apparent 50% +/- of the population supports him. He's a disgrace to the office of the president and to those he represents.<br><br>- alec

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 11:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Yes cancel the fundraising plans and head back to DC.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Why? What could Bush have done in DC yesterday afternoon, as the Hurricane was still ravaging the Gulf coast? Nothing, that's what. Nothing except stay in contact with the powers that be and closely monitor the situation. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I say the right thing to do would have been to reschedule, fly back to DC and start things moving that day rather than Wed. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Things were already "in motion." Things are "in motion" as we speak, one day after the Hurricane. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The disaster should dictate his schedule, not wealthy GOP donors.<p><hr></blockquote><p>When I say you people look for any and every reason to criticize Bush, this is what I'm talking about. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The disaster should dictate his schedule, not wealthy GOP donors.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I say that on the very day the Hurricane is pounding the Gulf coast, and damage assessments unknown (as the Hurricane is still inflicting damage), and New Orleans not stabalized (not even now), the thing to do is maintain the schedule until damage assessments come in and monitor the situation. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You say it's the right thing not to alter the schedules of the GOP ultra-wealthy.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm saying that you fscking over-critical, nattering liberal hate-mongers will find just about anything to bitch about when it comes to President Bush. Bush is handling the crisis, regardless of how much you p!ss your pants, Gary. <br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:01 PM

"What? What does that mean? Yesterday at this time Hurricane Francis was just finishing up hammering the Gulf Coast. The situation hasn't even stabilized in New Orleans yet. And what would you have preferred Bush do? Air drop in to downtown New Orleans and ride around the city on a Jet Ski? Ohh no, Gary. If Bush had done that, it would've been a "photo op." <br><br>Typically you, Gary"<br><br>I said he should have rescheduled his fundraisers. I said he should have headed back to DC yesterday rather than Wed. I said it would have been more respectful.<br><br>You are insane. You go wild with your Limbaughesque rant making sh*t up and then say "Typically you." When you have these conversations with yourself, please realize that no matter how much you italicize and "Ohhhh, no...." it's not adding to the discussion, it's just showing us that you can write exactly how Rush talks.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:14 PM

I find it odd how people accept that Jacques Chirac can deal with global catastrophes, from his skiing vacation in the Alps (IIRC he mentioned as much shortly following 9/11/2001) something along the lines of how he was in touch with his advisors and how communications these days allowed him to do his job anywhere in the world.<br><br>Yet people then turn around and assume that President Bush cannot do anything if he's not in the Whitehouse - almost as if the US is so backwards they're still relying on 2 cans and a piece of string.<br><br>We're getting to the point in society where the only people who cannot work from home are burger flippers, and gardeners!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I said he should have rescheduled his fundraisers. <p><hr></blockquote><p>And I ask why? Why should he have rescheduled his fundraising event? What good would that have done? In what way, on the day of the Hurricane, while it was still on-going, would Bush's canceling his already scheduled event increased the efforts of the United States Federal Government in assisting the storm victims? <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I said he should have headed back to DC yesterday rather than Wed.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Why? Why should Bush have headed back to DC yesterday rather than Wednesday? What good would it have done? What could Bush accomplish in Washington DC last night vs being in Washington DC on Wednesday? The answer, of course, is nothing, except supplying you with endless fodder to bash the President with. Bush can't do anything right in your eyes. Nothing. He headed to Florida AFTER the Hurricanes roared through, and it was a "photo-op." If he'd stayed away, he'd have been "disrespectful." <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I said it would have been more respectful.<p><hr></blockquote><p>To who? The people who paid to see the President speak? To the people in the Gulf Coast who wouldn't benefit one iota if Bush were in Washington or not? To liberals who refuse to give Bush credit for nothing while bashing him for everything he does?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You are insane. <p><hr></blockquote><p>And you're an @sshole. There, don't we all feel better now? As far as Rush goes, you're far more and expert on Rush than I. You appear to be one of his regular listeners. <br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:23 PM

I'm not sure anyone here has ever mentioned Jacques Chirac. That's so typical of those ravenous, seething Jacques Chirac apologists! Death to the lot of them!<br><br><br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:31 PM

<br><br>OH NO! do we have to go back to calling them "FREEDOM FRIES" again? <br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:33 PM

<br>I doano... maybe it was the 'PetGoat' thing. <br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 12:39 PM

I posted the Reuters report ( as you did too): "President George W. Bush will return to Washington on Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina, the White House announced."<br><br>There's no doubt he's dealing with the issue today while in San Diego and in transit. That's not my point. I would rather the White House say that "Bush returned to Washington on Monday night, three days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina."<br><br>" What could Bush accomplish in Washington DC last night vs being in Washington DC on Wednesday?<br><br>I don't understand your point -- Are you saying Bush doesn't even need to be back in DC? Another week at Crawford would be okay? A full week of "Town Halls" and fundraisers would be okay as long as he's got a phone and a busy staff? <br><br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:02 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I would rather the White House say that "Bush returned to Washington on Monday night, three days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina."<p><hr></blockquote><p>Why? On Monday night, the damage from Hurrican Katrina was just then being assessed. But Bush already put the Federal Government in motion on Sunday . . . <br><br><blockquote>This morning I spoke with FEMA Undersecretary Mike Brown and emergency management teams not only at the federal level but at the state level about the -- Hurricane Katrina. I've also spoken to Governor Blanco of Louisiana, Governor Barbour of Mississippi, Governor Bush of Florida, and Governor Riley of Alabama. I want to thank all the folks at the federal level and the state level and the local level who have taken this storm seriously. I appreciate the efforts of the governors to prepare their citizenry for this upcoming storm.<br><br>Yesterday [Saturday], I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Louisiana, and this morning I signed a disaster declaration for the state of Mississippi. These declarations will allow federal agencies to coordinate all disaster relief efforts with state and local officials. We will do everything in our power to help the people in the communities affected by this storm.<br><br>Hurricane Katrina is now designated a category five hurricane. We cannot stress enough the danger this hurricane poses to Gulf Coast communities. I urge all citizens to put their own safety and the safety of their families first by moving to safe ground. Please listen carefully to instructions provided by state and local officials.</blockquote><br><br>That was Sunday. Bush was directing the appropriate agencies in to action before the Hurricane struck. Then yesterday . . . <br><br><blockquote>As David said, we're praying for the folks that have been affected by this Hurricane Katrina. We're in constant contact with the local officials down there. The storm is moving through, and we're now able to assess damage, or beginning to assess damage. And I want the people to know in the affected areas that the federal government and the state government and the local governments will work side-by-side to do all we can to help get your lives back in order.</blockquote><br><br>Seems like the President is doing what he's supposed to do, Gary. Except, of course, making you "feel better" by flying back to Washington DC THIS INSTANCE!. Of course, had Bush flown back to DC on Monday, you'd be complaining that he wasn't in New Orleans or Mississippi. <br><br>Then today . . . <br><br><blockquote>This morning our hearts and prayers are with our fellow citizens along the Gulf Coast who have suffered so much from Hurricane Katrina. These are trying times for the people of these communities. We know that many are anxious to return to their homes. It's not possible at this moment. Right now our priority is on saving lives, and we are still in the midst of search and rescue operations. I urge everyone in the affected areas to continue to follow instructions from state and local authorities.<br><br>The federal, state and local governments are working side-by-side to do all we can to help people get back on their feet, and we have got a lot of work to do. Our teams and equipment are in place and we're beginning to move in the help that people need. Americans who wish to help can call 1-800-HELPNOW, or log on to RedCross.org, or get in touch with the Salvation Army. The good folks in Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama and other affected areas are going to need the help and compassion and prayers of our fellow citizens.</blockquote><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I don't understand your point -- <p><hr></blockquote><p>Of course you don't. That's because it doesn't begin and end with a searing, over-critical hatred of the President. <br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:32 PM

I did not say the president has done nothing.<br>I did not say the president has ignored the crisis.<br>This is stuff that you imagined in your little rant.<br><br>I criticize the fundraising on the exact day of national crisis. I thinks it's disrespectful. "And when I read the news and see our president not focused on the disaster, I think it's shameful." Monday, his schedule was two fundraisers and a "Town Hall" travelling between two states. I posted his town hall quip because of the irony of his concern.<br><br>If this was a terrorist attack with 1/1000000th of the damage, would he have rescheduled? Of course he would. The people suffering because of this epic natural disaster deserve the same "appearance " of focus. <br> <br>Criticizing the president is not "searing hatred". The only hatred seems to be coming from your words on how you believe all liberals think (and of course DLC's posts )<br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:37 PM

Life without irony is sublime!<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: steveg

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:38 PM

Awright youse two. You both have valid points, and you're both playing off your personal feelings about Bush. Fact of the matter is this disaster is bigger than Bush or his approval rating or any of our political leanings. What matters now, is what can be done to deal with this terrible mess, and how quickly. Katrina ain't a libby or a neo-con. But she sure as hell laid down the law this week.<br><br>Now quit yer bickering and start collecting canned goods and clothes to send down there!<br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:42 PM

This is actually a serious question, but are food and clothing the best thing? I know we're a long way from Indonesia here, but I heard that Tsunami relief efforts were actually hampered by all of the clothing and food they received because of the logistical nightmare. Instead, they preferred hard currency that could buy exactly what the people needed.<br><br>But then again, who doesn't like hard currency?<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:44 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I posted the Reuters report ( as you did too): "President George W. Bush will return to Washington on Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina, the White House announced."<br><br>There's no doubt he's dealing with the issue today while in San Diego and in transit. That's not my point. I would rather the White House say that "Bush returned to Washington on Monday night, three days ahead of schedule, to help oversee recovery efforts from Hurricane Katrina."<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>ok, does anyone else wonder what calendar gary follows? <br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:46 PM

Everything you know is wrong.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 01:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> "And when I read the news and see our president not focused on the disaster, I think it's shameful."<p><hr></blockquote><p><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The people suffering because of this epic natural disaster deserve the same "appearance " of focus.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Show me when and where the President "wasn't focused on the disaster." Aside from the fact that you can't, because President Bush most certainly has been focused on the disaster, Steve is right. Time to focus on the victims.<br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 02:01 PM

Here's the President this afternoon in San Diego (gesturing what he thinks of me )<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 02:13 PM

And here's the President on teleconference with FEMA Sunday . . . <br><br><br><br>DisasterHelp.gov<br><br>RedCross<br><br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 02:21 PM

Is that Bill Shatner with President on the teleconference....I hope he wasn't invited to the sing along from gary's photo!!<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 02:55 PM

<br>National Voluntary Organizations<br>Active in Disaster<br><br>[color:green]NVOAD</font color=green> <br><br>About NVOAD<br><br>Links: From NVOAD<br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 03:02 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>He was fundraising the day of the event. He was doing photo-ops the day of the event.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And I was cutting the grass, cooking steaks on the grill and masturbating in the shower later on. So what? <br><br>While I certainly agree you have a valid point that fundraisers could have been cancelled, and would have preferred that he did, it wouldn't have been a functional thing. There's not really anything anybody can do during an event like this but sit back and watch and give thanks you're not in the middle. <br><br>So while it looks like a black mark, I really can't blame anybody for continuing on with their day wherever possible. I'm not going to take a sick day in homage to those stuck in the middle of something that's 1000 miles away from me, which is all cancelling fundraisers would have been.<br><br>But I do have to give Bush credit for pre-declaring those states disaster area so help could start deploying before the hurricane, which probably saved lives.<br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 04:05 PM

Call it a figurative statement. We should be focusing on the victims and not bickering over what Bush was doing and when and where.<br><br>Sometimes, dis plaze... <br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 04:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>and masturbating in the shower later on<p><hr></blockquote><p>Whatever gets you off... <br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 05:13 PM

OH, MAN! <br><br>That PhoOp Pict of him kissing that woman's head made me wanna hurl... <br><br>...then you hadda' go plantin' THAT image in my head! <br><br><br>...er... sorry Sgt, I read that wrong<br>I thought you sed DUBYA was masturbating in the shower.<br><br>"Never Mind."<br>-Rosanne Roseannadana<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Celandine on 08/30/05 08:18 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 05:16 PM

Watching the immensity of the devastation and suffering that so many are going through right now, I want to believe and trust that those people in power to do something about it are ahead of the game. The simple thing to do is post here and vent my frustration, because at midnight watching these images and stories unfold, I saw the wasted power at a time when necessity called out for something more. Needless to say, my opinion didn't change as the news today developed. Katrina's catastophic wake is only going to get worse, and everyone I see and talk with thinks so too and is painfully aware of what people are going through. I want to believe the man in power is using it wisely. In this case, it's about saving and rebuilding lives. I'll take the appearance of his commitment as a welcomed sign. That's why I posted, not to make Matt go psychotic and turn it into a flame war, that's not even fun (except maybe for you guys). <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 06:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Watching the immensity of the devastation and suffering that so many are going through right now, I want to believe and trust that those people in power to do something about it are ahead of the game. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Bush was "ahead of the game" . . . <br><br><blockquote>Emergency Declaration Ordered For Missisippi<br><br>[color:red]Release Date: August 28, 2005</font color=red><br>Release Number: HQ-05-170<br><br>WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, today announced that President Bush authorized an emergency declaration for Mississippi. Federal resources are being allocated to support emergency protective response in the counties located in the path of Hurricane Katrina.<br><br>Brown said President Bush issued the declaration following a review of FEMA's analysis of the state's request for federal assistance.<br><br>As a result of the declaration, FEMA will mobilize equipment and resources necessary to protect public health and safety by assisting law enforcement with evacuations, establishing shelters, supporting emergency medical needs, meeting immediate lifesaving and life-sustaining human needs and protecting property, in addition to other emergency protective measures. In addition, federal funds will be available for public safety debris removal and emergency protective measures at 75 percent of approved costs.<br><br>Emergency Declaration Ordered For Alabama<br><br>[color:red]Release Date: August 28, 2005</font color=red><br>Release Number: HQ-05-172<br><br>WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, today announced that President Bush authorized an emergency declaration for Alabama. Federal resources are being allocated to support emergency protective response in the counties located in the path of Hurricane Katrina.<br><br>Brown said President Bush issued the declaration following a review of FEMA's analysis of the state's request for federal assistance.<br><br>As a result of the declaration, FEMA will mobilize equipment and resources necessary to protect public health and safety by assisting law enforcement with evacuations, establishing shelters, supporting emergency medical needs, meeting immediate life-saving and life-sustaining human needs and protecting property, in addition to other emergency protective measures. In addition, federal funds will be available for public safety debris removal and emergency protective measures at 75 percent of approved costs.<br><br>Emergency Aid Authorized For Hurricane Katrina Emergency Response In Louisiana<br><br>[color:red]Release Date: August 27, 2005</font color=red><br>Release Number: HQ-05-169<br><br>WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, today announced that Federal resources are being allocated to support emergency protective response efforts response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina.<br><br>Brown said President Bush authorized the aid under an emergency disaster declaration issued following a review of FEMA's analysis of the state's request for federal assistance. FEMA will mobilize equipment and resources necessary to protect public health and safety by assisting law enforcement with evacuations, establishing shelters, supporting emergency medical needs, meeting immediate lifesaving and life-sustaining human needs and protecting property, in addition to other emergency protective measures.<br><br>The parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn were designated eligible for assistance. In addition, federal funds will be available for public safety debris removal and emergency protective measures at 75 percent of approved costs.</blockquote><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The simple thing to do is post here and vent my frustration, because at midnight watching these images and stories unfold, I saw the wasted power at a time when necessity called out for something more. Needless to say, my opinion didn't change as the news today developed. Katrina's catastophic wake is only going to get worse, and everyone I see and talk with thinks so too and is painfully aware of what people are going through. I want to believe the man in power is using it wisely. In this case, it's about saving and rebuilding lives.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'd say being "ahead of the game", authorizing aid ahead of the Hurricane, (In Louisiana's case, a full two days ahead of time), and allowing the in-place federal agencies to do their work, is using that power wisely. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>That's why I posted, not to make Matt go psychotic and turn it into a flame war<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh screw you, poor "innocent" Gary. You'll use any opportunity to perpetuate your all consuming hatred of President Bush. How sad. <br><br>* * * * * * * * * * * * * *<br>I [censored] bigger than you.<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/30/05 06:24 PM

Trouble-maker <br><br>On a whiny/critical note of my own... I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the U.S. was criticized by a couple of other foreign leaders for not doing enough in the very early stages of the Tsunami relief efforts. If my recollection is correct, I can't wait to see how quick those critics will be to help us out.<br><br>See what you did? Now you made me cranky! <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/31/05 03:16 AM

Remember the Florida disaster was during an ELECTION year...<br><br>this is not ... the Press is picking up on your and Sean's very points...<br><br>he's more intersted in his staged media events and raising $$ than he is of victims...<br><br>I like the "cut his vacation short" what 2 days ? Why... so he could get ready for his FALL vacation in Kinnebunkport ? <br><br>I can't believe GW not hob-knobbing with his ole pal Haley Barbour... cashing in on the photo-ops like he did Fla a few years ago. He's gettin sloppy.<br><br>I think GW is getting ready to get crucified over Iraq, the gas costs, and the economy (which is going to head south quickly) !! Already we're seeing serious slowdowns in many sectors, and the Fed report the other days backs that up.<br><br>BTW - get ready for >$3 gas.. next 7-10 days...<br>we went from $2.42 last Friday to $2.69 last night... 27¢ in 4 days !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br>

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/31/05 04:49 AM

I like the "cut his vacation short" what 2 days?<br><br>Difficult decision :<br><br>"Lez See; WashDC - CrawfordTex" <br><br>[color:white]. . . . . . . . . . </font color=white><br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: A disaster of epic proportions - 08/31/05 02:10 PM

Well not really, but you get the point.<br><br>Despite of what has happened, all of us have our own problems and issues that we'll still have to deal with, and deal with them we should. It would be a disservice to those affected by this tradgedy not to.<br><br>