"don't know why they shot me..." Ethopia downtown.

Posted by: TheGreatDivide

"don't know why they shot me..." Ethopia downtown. - 06/08/05 11:17 AM

<br><br>20 reported killed in 3rd day of Ethiopia protests<br> The Associated Press<br><br>THURSDAY, JUNE 9, 2005<br>ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia Ethiopian security forces opened fire Wednesday on stone-throwing protesters in the central business district, leaving 20 people dead, the independent Ethiopian Human Rights Council said.<br> <br> A reporter saw 11 bodies in a room in the capital's main hospital, at least four with gunshot wounds to the head, and was told they were only some of the casualties from a third day of protests in the capital over election results. Doctors at another hospital reported receiving two bodies.<br> <br> Abebe Terfe, executive secretary of the Human Rights Council, said a total of 20 people had been killed in the clashes in the capital, Addis Ababa. The group has supplied reliable information on suspected human rights violations in the past.<br> <br> The chief government spokesman was not answering phone calls, and no other officials were available for comment.<br> <br> Victims were being taken to hospitals around the capital and the death toll was expected to increase, Western diplomats said.<br> <br> The protests have taken place in defiance of a ban ordered by Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, announced immediately after the May 15 parliamentary elections. Meles's party won a majority of seats in the election, according to official results. Opposition parties have asserted that there was widespread fraud and intimidation. The governing party has denied those allegations.<br> <br> The shooting on Wednesday began after army special forces troops arrived in the central business district, where protesters were throwing stones.<br> <br> One of the wounded, who refused to give his name, saying that he feared retribution, asserted that the troops had fired on people as they tried to flee the scene.<br> <br> He said he had been caught up in the protest and had not been taking part in it.<br> <br> The Addis Ababa city police also fired at protesters, said another person who was lying on a hospital trolley after emergency treatment.<br> <br> "The police were running at the crowd, firing shots, said the man, who identified himself by one name, Getu, and said he was a laborer. "I was just trying to get home to avoid the trouble."<br> <br> Atenyesh Mamo, 39, said she had been shot in the abdomen by a soldier after opening the door to her home to look for her seven-year-old who was outside as the clashes began.<br> <br> "I don't know why they shot me," she said while waiting for an X-ray.<br> <br> Gunfire was heard during the protest, but it was unclear whether the security forces were firing rubber bullets, tear gas or live ammunition. Dozens of people, most of them young men, were wounded in the chest, legs, arms and back.<br> <br> Nearly an hour after the shooting, ambulances and private vehicles continued to bring the wounded to Black Lion Hospital, the main city hospital. Doctors there said they had treated more than 100 people, many with serious wounds.<br> <br> Taxi drivers and shop owners went on strike in Addis Ababa on Wednesday, after protests on Monday and Tuesday that mainly involved students.<br> <br> The city government had threatened to revoke the licenses of taxi drivers who did not remove opposition symbols and campaign posters from their vehicles.<br> <br> The strikes on Wednesday were organized by people who distributed handwritten notes and text messages by cell phone.<br> <br> The main opposition Coalition for Unity and Democracy, said it was not behind the strikes.<br> <br> "We have been calling on people not to do this," said the party's vice chairman, Berhanu Nega. "We are concerned about what could happen to anyone who is challenging the ruling party because of the attacks on students."<br> <br> In the protests earlier this week, one student was killed and dozens were hurt. Hundreds of student protesters were arrested. <br><br>-------------------------><br><br>Learn ya heard...<br><br>Bob Marley <br>Zimbabwe<br><br>Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny,<br>And in this judgement there is no partiality.<br>So arm in arms, with arms, we'll fight this little struggle,<br>'Cause that's the only way we can overcome our little trouble.<br>Every man got a right<br>To decide his own destiny <br>Brother, you're right, you're right,<br>You're right, you're right, you're so right!<br>We gon' fight (we gon' fight), we'll have to fight (we gon' fight),<br>We gonna fight (we gon' fight), fight for our rights!<br><br>Natty Dread it in-a (Zimbabwe);<br>Set it up in (Zimbabwe);<br>Mash it up-a in-a Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe);<br>Africans a-liberate (Zimbabwe), yeah.<br><br>No more internal power struggle;<br>We come together to overcome the little trouble.<br>Soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionary,<br>'Cause I don't want my people to be contrary.<br><br>And, brother, you're right, you're right,<br>You're right, you're right, you're so right!<br>We'll 'ave to fight (we gon' fight), we gonna fight (we gon' fight)<br>We'll 'ave to fight (we gon' fight), fighting for our rights!<br>I'n'I a-liberate Zimbabwe.<br><br>(Brother, you're right,) you're right,<br>You're right, you're right, you're so right!<br>We gon' fight (we gon' fight), we'll 'ave to fight (we gon' fight),<br>We gonna fight (we gon' fight), fighting for our rights!<br><br>To divide and rule could only tear us apart;<br>In everyman chest, mm - there beats a heart.<br>So soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionaries;<br>And I don't want my people to be tricked by mercenaries.<br><br>(Brother, you're right,) you're right,<br>You're right, you're right, you're so right!<br><br>X
Posted by: newkojak

Re: "don't know why they shot me..." Ethopia downtown. - 06/08/05 11:19 AM

Four dead in Ohio.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: TheGreatDivide

Re: "don't know why they shot me..." Ethopia downtown. - 06/08/05 11:23 AM

No sh!t.<br><br>X
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: "don't know why they shot me..." Ethopia downtown. - 06/08/05 12:00 PM

I guess throwing rocks when you're near people with guns could be filed under - dumb things to do with rocks.<br><br><br><br>We all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time.