Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us??

Posted by: Anonymous

Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 11:49 AM

Native Americans across the country -- including<br>tribal leaders, academics and rank-and-file tribe members -- voiced anger<br>and frustration Thursday that President Bush has responded to the<br>second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history with silence.<br><br>Three days after 16-year-old Jeff Weise killed nine members of his Red Lake<br>tribe before taking his own life, grief-stricken American Indians complained<br>that the White House has offered little in the way of sympathy for the tribe<br>situated in the uppermost region of Minnesota.<br><br>"From all over the world we are getting letters of condolence, the Red Cross<br>has come, but the so-called Great White Father in Washington hasn't said or<br>done a thing," said Clyde Bellecourt, a Chippewa Indian who is the founder<br>and national director of the American Indian Movement here. "When people's<br>children are murdered and others are in the hospital hanging on to life, he<br>should be the first one to offer his condolences. . . . If this was a white<br>community, I don't think he'd have any problem doing that."<br><br>The reaction to Bush's silence was particularly bitter given his<br>high-profile, late-night intervention on behalf of Terri Schiavo, the<br>brain-damaged Florida woman caught in a legal battle over<br>whether her feeding tube should be reinserted.<br><br>"The fact that Bush preempted his vacation to say something about Ms.<br>Schiavo and here you have 10 native people gunned down and he can't take<br>time to speak is very telling," said David Wilkins, interim chairman of the<br>Department of American Indian Studies at the University of Minnesota and a<br>member of the North Carolina-based Lumbee tribe.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 12:05 PM

Ahem...<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 12:27 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Similarly, on the day following the infamous school shooting at Columbine, the President requested and used Channel One's pipeline into secondary schools to deliver a message to students.<p><hr></blockquote><p>columbine received much, much more attention from <a href="http://www.cnn.com/US/9904/20/school.shooting.08/">the president</a> (<a href="http://www.clintonfoundation.org/legacy/052099-remarks-by-president-and-hrc-to-columbine-community.htm">more here</a>). then again, the media also gave columbine much, much more attention.<br><br><br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 12:51 PM

The claim was made that Bush has been mute on this issue. I merely pointed out that the claim was without merit. But of course now comes the niggling over the freakin' word count. <br><br>This is like the old joke about 2 elderly jewish divas kvetching over a restaurant they'd just patronized.<br><br>[color:blue]Oy, Sadie. The food was so terrible I couldn't eat it.</font color=blue><br>[color:purple]Me too, Rose. And the portions were so small!</font color=purple><br><br>The fact is, he didn't ignore the event, as CE claims. The metric weight of the remarks doesn't matter, unless you either consider it a commodity, or just can't allow yourself to give Dubya a single centimeter of slack.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 03:47 PM

... 'cause he left the "t" out of Native when he read the news? He's a cowboy! What can one expect?<br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 04:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> The fact is, he didn't ignore the event, as CE claims. The metric weight of the remarks doesn't matter,<p><hr></blockquote><p>it matters when one feels that he paid simple lip-service to the tragedy when he could have done much more. i would guess that's what some people believe. personally, i am only a bit miffed at the media and i could not care less what dubya does on this because he's already done more than i expect . . . unfortunately.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 04:33 PM

I'm no Bush supporter, but what never ceases to irk me is when someone claims "So-and-so didn't do something he or she should have done." You demonstrate that so-and-so in fact did do that something, and the response is always, "Well, he or she didn't do enough of it", or "...didn't do it long enough", or "...didn't do it the right way". <br><br>It just proves that if one has an agenda one will find any nuance within a 50 mile radius of the point to prop up whatever pegs were knocked out from under it. <br><br>Translation, you can't please some folks, no matter what. <br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 05:21 PM

well, the response did take a while . . . and, <a href="http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3229016a12,00.html">this is the kind of news</a> that was circulating with relation to this story:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> CRAWFORD: U.S. President George W. Bush has offered federal help and personal prayers to the Red Lake Indian reservation in northern Minnesota after being criticized for remaining silent for days about the deadliest U.S. school shooting in six years. <br><br>. . . <br><br>Bush's silence drew fire from some American Indians, including Clyde Bellecourt, a Chippewa Indian who is the founder and national director of the American Indian Movement in Red Lake.<br><br>"It's kind of late," Bellecourt said of Bush's call to Jourdain. "He should have been the first one to reach out to the Red Lake Indian community."<br><br>Bellecourt cited Bush's decision to rush back to the White House from his Texas ranch last weekend to sign unprecedented emergency legislation allowing Schiavo's case to be reviewed in federal courts.<br><br>"He does not have any problems flying in to restore the feeding tube to Terri Schiavo. I'm sure if this happened in some school in Texas and a bunch of white kids were shot down, he would have been there too," Bellecourt said.<p><hr></blockquote><p>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 05:32 PM

Like I said... spin it to suit your needs. I'm sure that if Bush had addressed the Red Lake issue first, someone would find some deficiency in the act, and make a big deal of it. Frankly, I don't think he should've gotten involved in the Schiavo case at all. But luckily for Bellecourt, he did, providing a handle for the spin.<br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/26/05 06:54 PM

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - President Bush offered federal help and personal<br>prayers on Friday to the Red Lake Indian reservation in northern Minnesota<br>after being criticized for remaining silent for days about the deadliest<br>U.S. school shooting in six years.<br><br>Bush, on vacation at his Crawford, Texas, ranch, spoke for five minutes to<br>Floyd Jourdain, chairman of the Red Lake Chippewa tribe, about Monday's<br>rampage in which a 16-year-old killed nine people and himself.<br><br>White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said Bush sent his condolences to the<br>"entire Red Lake community," and "pledged continued help from the federal<br>government."<br><br><br>The above was released thru Reuters, To this I would say to the President, it is too little too late. Speaking with one of our leaders for 5 Minutes is hardly enough time to say hello and goodbye. You can not learn much in<br>5 minutes of polite conversation.<br><br>As for the pledge for "continued help from the government"...what help?<br><br>The government offers Native Americans a band-ade that is ment to cover a scrape when the wound is 10 times the size of a scrape. If there had been help from the government to help solve the high unemployement, high substance abuse, the high sucide rate, high rate of teen pregnancies, <br>low quiality education then perhaps this event would have never happened in the first place.<br><br>To pledge Continued help from the government somehow translates into<br>"now you all be good little indians or the government will not continue<br>to help you" yet another way the government keeps the native americans<br>in check.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/27/05 06:59 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If there had been help from the government to help solve the high unemployement, high substance abuse, the high sucide rate, high rate of teen pregnancies, low quiality education then perhaps this event would have never happened in the first place<p><hr></blockquote><p>Didn't you just have a post earlier, marveling about how great your society and your justice system is. Now it seems your perfect world needs more help from our imperfect one.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/27/05 07:21 AM

Actually the earlier post was on a Justice system used by some if not all Native American groups.<br><br>The fact that a greater power, the US government, has for many many years<br>tried to erase the Native peoples from the map thru the use of various programs designed to keep native peoples <br>"in their proper place" much the same as they tried to keep other people of color in their proper place, simply because they were not of the same<br>skin tone as those in power, The Civil Rights Act was passed back in the<br>50-60's yet there are still groups who suffer at the hands of the government agencies who are in fact suspose to protect those rights<br><br><br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/27/05 07:53 AM

CE, your I'm not white therefore I'm persecuted mantra is wearing thin. I have no doubt that there are individuals INDIVIDUALS, NOT ENTIRE GOV'T BODIES who still harbor racial prejudices. And those prejudices no doubt influence their votes and policy platforms. But your claim that all non-whites are deliberately being kept under the white man's thumb as a matter of policy and law is outmoded. I'm sure the gov't. can do better across all programs for all people. But to continually push the blame outward from your community is nothing more than neo-teflonism. Just google "Native Americans in business" or "Native American success stories", etc., and you'll get plenty of hits related to people who have helped themselves overcome many of the barriers you love to harp on. And you'll find links to countless programs private and gov't-sponsored that only need to be taken advantage of. Poverty and disadvantage can be overcome. It just takes courage, determination, and a willingness to take full responsibility for your destiny.<br><br>What you claim was inarguably true a century and more ago. But I have a hard time believing that such gov't. conspiracies can or could still thrive in this era.<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/28/05 06:50 AM

CE, once again you come out of the gate crying like a baby. You make Native Americans look like they can't do anything without whinning about it. American Indians are a strong people with a true and simple culture. The lazy ones cry about how the can't do this or that. The lazy ones who want hand outs play the victim like YOU do every time you open your mouth. You're a begger with your hand out for anything someone will give you. You're hands are soft because you don't work to make something of yourself..<br>Shut up!<br><br>Sean,<br>It's a crying shame that Bush said so little, so late about the shooting. I guess running an entire country of millions of people has a nasty habit of getting in the way. I'm mean, really, there's only trying to keep North Korea from nuking someone, running a war in Iraq, working with the middle east to reduce oil prices, education, employment, battling with near sighted Dems to want to pack every bill with crap, and minior stuff like that. Not like you have ever been late to a family event or mssed something because of the demands of your work. Nah. More likely, Bush was too busy watching American Idol and didn't want to miss anything. Right?<br>(rolling eyes)<br><br>SteveG, <br>What can I say? <br>You rock.<br><br>

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/28/05 09:34 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I guess running an entire country of millions of people has a nasty habit of getting in the way.<p><hr></blockquote><p>or vacations and terry schiavo. <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But on Saturday night, when Mr. Bush made the rare decision to interrupt his Texas vacation and rush back to Washington to be in place to sign a bill that could restore Ms. Schiavo's feeding tube, the White House said that the issue had become one of "defending life," and that time was of the essence.<br><br>So, too, were White House politics, Republicans and conservative religious figures said. Although Mr. Bush was described as personally moved by the issue, his dramatic return was seen as a powerful embrace of the "culture of life" issues of religious conservatives who helped him win the White House in 2004. Those groups will be crucial to the political fortunes of the Republican Party in 2006 and 2008.<br><br>"Look, this is a symbolic move, for sure," said Richard Cizik, the vice president for government affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals. "It's his willingness to interrupt his vacation to make a statement. And not just to make a statement, because we're not playing games here, but to make a difference, too."<br><br>Nonetheless, White House officials acknowledged that the final bill could have been flown to Mr. Bush in Texas, a round trip of six or seven hours that probably would have made no difference in whether Ms. Schiavo lives. Doctors say she can survive for up to two weeks without the liquid meals that have sustained her for 15 years.<br><br>"That would have been acceptable," said Mr. Cizik, referring to Mr. Bush signing the bill at his ranch. "But this president seizes opportunities when they come his way. That's what makes him a good politician.<p><hr></blockquote><p>link here<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Pres. Bush, Why Don't You Like Us?? - 03/28/05 11:50 AM

And what's your point?<br>He's doing something about saving lives. Not much can be done to save the dead.<br><br>But I know that won't slow you down from picking at him. Next you'll fault him for not making a public address about some lady getting a flat tire, or how some kid lost their lunch money. <br><br>Bush didn't shoot those people. Bush didn't let the kid into the school with a gun. Bush didn't put the gun in his hand, BUT because Bush doesn't drop all matters of state and rush to the mic to say how tragic all this is, he's now just as guilty.<br>More than that, he doesn't care. <br>Oh okay. Yeah, Bush spends his whole time surfing the net and watching TV. Yup, he's not interested in doing anything to help America. <br><br>Oh wait, while where at it, why don't you take a moment to condem the emergency room doctor who doesn't take the time to say how sorry someone died, becuse he was busy trying to save a life. I mean, fair is fair. He should be out there shaking hands and doing PR work. Let the bodies stack up while he's making nice-nice, right Sean?<br><br>The President didn't stroke someones ego. Waaaaa<br><br><br>