You've got to be sh%#$ting me!

Posted by: Bryan

You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 04:00 PM

Hillary proposes voting holiday, letting ex-felons vote<br><br>How's come liberals have to work so hard to "get out the vote," but the rest of us just JUST VOTE! WTF?<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 08:33 PM

Are you saying that it's a bad idea? Most other industrialized western nations have election day as a national holiday. What's the "conservative" viewpoint? Making voting as hard as possible?<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newkojak on 02/17/05 11:34 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 08:40 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Most other industrialized western nations have election day as a national holiday.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And yet .. amazing as it may seem .. we've been electing people in this country for over 200 years without it being a "national holiday." <br><br>****************<br>no sig

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 09:00 PM

How many of those years was voting restricted to white, land-owning men? How many years did it take to kill the poll tax? How many years until women could vote? How many years before black people could vote?<br><br>That's an awful example. Democracy is a work in progress and we should make it our task to extend the franchise to every American citizen. At least we should do that if we treasure democracy as much as we say.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 09:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>How many of those years was voting restricted to white, land-owning men? How many years did it take to kill the poll tax? How many years until women could vote? How many years before black people could vote?<p><hr></blockquote><p>What does any of that have to do with making election day a "national holiday" or even relate to 2008? We don't need to make election day a national holiday.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Democracy is a work in progress and we should make it our task to extend the franchise to every American citizen.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Say class, if John Kerry had won the election, how much BITCHING would the left being doing about elections? That's what I thought. <br><br>Continue haranguing, Cary.<br><br>****************<br>no sig

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/17/05 09:13 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Continue haranguing, Cary.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ah, always nice to have a shout out.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: Bryan

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 06:05 AM

There is nothing difficult about voting. We have achieved 100% voting equality. It is simple to register, and anybody who wants to vote, can. There is no excuse. <br><br>This is good old-fashioned vote hunting. Making another federal holiday ensures the campaign contributions will continue to flow from the unionized federal workers, and convicted felons must be a core Democratic constituency!<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 06:34 AM

Hilary has NOTHING to offer as a political leader, so, she has to make crap up to get her face infront of a camera.<br><br>She's another Dan Quayle waiting to happen.<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 07:57 AM

Let's see: Early voting, Postal voting, Employers must allow employees time to vote.<br><br>Federal holiday = federal institutions will be closed. Other companies are at option to have day off. You think Walmart is going to close up for the day to allow all those loyal core democrats time to vote?<br><br>If people can't be bothered to vote (slacker tour, anyone?), what makes you think they'll take the time because Hillary gives them the day off?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 09:41 AM

Everyone could have time off *if* they vote. Employees could show their employers proof they voted. <br><br>BTW, I'm undecided on the matter. In Canada employers by law must give you three days off while the polls are open to go and vote.<br><br>

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 10:43 AM

Well in UK there is 1 day to vote, you are assigned a polling station, so it's up to you to arrange your day so that you can get to your polling station.<br><br>If people WANT to vote, then they will find a way to get there. You just have to look at Iraq to see what people will overcome for the opportunity to vote.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 10:58 AM

I propose we move 'President's Day' to Nov.4. Problem solved.<br><br><br><br>

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 12:12 PM

Move a Federal Holiday??!!<br><br>Isn't that in the dictionary under definitions for the word Sacrilage?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 02:20 PM

Oops, my post above should have said three *hours*, not days.<br><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 04:13 PM

LOL...I wondered about that...dog sleds and all could make getting to the polling place difficult.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: You've got to be sh%#$ting me! - 02/18/05 05:24 PM

Move a Federal Holiday??!! Isn't that in the dictionary under definitions for the word Sacrilage?<br><br>All of us Liberals are godless, so what the hell. Besides, I say it's high time we let G. Gordon Liddy vote! <br><br>