Student suspended for doing cartwheels

Posted by: JonnyCat

Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/11/04 04:05 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11/11/no.cartwheels.reut/index.html<br><br>LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Cartwheels and handstands have gotten an 11-year-old girl temporarily bounced out of her Los Angeles-area school.<br><br>Deirdre Faegre was suspended for a week after repeatedly disobeying school officials who told her not to perform gymnastic stunts during lunchtime.<br><br>"Our first concern is the safety of all children," San Jose-Edison Academy Principal Denise Patton told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.<br><br>Patton said Deirdre could accidentally strike another student, or injure herself, and other children could get hurt trying to imitate Deirdre, who has been doing gymnastics for five years.<br><br>Deirdre's father, Leland Faegre, said it was absurd to suspend his daughter for doing gymnastics when students were allowed to play basketball and other sports.<br><br>"Contact sports, apparently, are fine. But this one is so dangerous it requires the cartwheel cops," Faegre said.<br><br>---------------------------------------<br><br>what's next? I think the school chess team should watch their backs.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/11/04 05:00 PM

It's only going to get more and more ludicrous.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 05:01 AM

Liberalism at it's finest! :D<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 05:12 AM

Liberals like cartwheels at schools, weddings, and funerals.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 05:23 AM

Keep your blinders on.<br><br>

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 05:28 AM

Sounds like you are using a cookie cutter to label people. Talk about wearing blinders.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 08:20 AM

I propose high school senior girls across the nation mount a protest in her name and do naked cartwheels. Just a suggestion.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

School fund-raiser with knife halted - 11/12/04 09:06 AM

"A high school band fund-raising effort has been halted by School District officials because the fishing kits that were to be sold contain 6-inch filet knives."<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 12:00 PM

I heard about this story. It seems that the girl was doing cartwheels and flips in crowds of kids. The danger here is that she could easily hit someone. I know it doesn't sound like anything on the surface, but think about the impact of a arm or leg completeing an almost complete circle landing on you. In Martial Arts, we call that an Anvil Kick or Hammer Blow. There's easily enough force to break bone. <br><br>If that happened, who would be responsible? The girl, yes, but also the school for letting it happen. Who's going to pay the law suit for the school? The public.<br><br>I'm sensitive to schools over reacting, but in this case, the girl was clearly in the wrong.<br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 12:07 PM

I was once suspended for doing jumping jacks without my shirt on .. <br><br>****************<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 12:17 PM

Forget a suspension, that's firing squad time....<br><br>

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 01:42 PM

I didn't say liberals, I said liberalism.<br><br>As Frank Rizzo once so wisely said, "Open you're fukin ears, jackass!"<br><br>

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 03:11 PM

Ah, you speak in isms. I did not think you would wimp out like that. Good job standing behind you post. So your one size fits all cookie cutter is labeled "liberalism". All the liberals I know, isms and all, wouldn't give a sh1t if this girl was kung foo kicking her classmates. They would let her do it. Those wacky liberals let everyone do anything. They're the ones who want to legalize marriage to goats, haven't you heard?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> "Open you're fukin ears, jackass!"<br> <p><hr></blockquote><p> Frank Rizzo? I thought that was MattMacs line? Such potty mouths around here.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Student suspended for doing cartwheels - 11/12/04 10:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So your one size fits all cookie cutter is labeled "liberalism".<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Again, I'm not speaking of you, or any other person. I'm speaking ideals. I can't help it if you find it impossible to grasp concepts.<br><br>Your attempts at humor don't change the fact you're barking up the wrong tree.<br><br>