NOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Posted by: MattMac112

NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:14 AM

<blockquote>Cowboys Stadium Referendum Passes In Arlington<br><br>Nick Eatman <br>DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer <br>Nov. 2, 2004, 11:57 p.m. (CDT)<br><br>ARLINGTON, Texas - For a team that has lived off winning big on Sundays, the Cowboys scored their biggest victory in their 44-year history on this Tuesday night.<br><br>The City of Arlington passed the vote to approve the tax-hike that would allow the city to fund its portion of the $650 million proposal to build the Cowboys a new stadium, which will be located just south of Ameriquest Field - home of the Texas Rangers - and is expected to be completed by 2009.<br><br>Arlington mayor Robert Cluck addressed the crowd of nearly a thousand supporters here at the watch party at the Wyndham Hotel with a rather short, but strong statement.<br><br>"Ladies and gentlemen . . . We Won!"<br><br>By a 54 to 46 percent vote, Arlington taxpayers voted "Yes" for a .5 percent sales and property tax that will allow the city to fund $325 million, with the Cowboys investing the other half. The plan also calls for the Cowboys to pay the city $2 million in yearly rent, starting in 2009 when the stadium is projected to be completed, along with a five-percent fee for any naming rights sold for the new stadium, which has been estimated to be as much as $500,000 a year.</blockquote><br><br>Ok Cowboys fans ... The clock is running on Texas Stadium. If you haven't been already, better plan on getting to Dallas within the next few years ... <br><br><br><br>****************<br><br> = days numbered
Posted by: Pete

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:15 AM

Cool- I was wondering about that...<br><br>What do you mean, "Nooooo"..? From what ezrider was saying, the place is falling down! I say it's about time... Hope they include a hole in the roof on the new one too...<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:32 AM

I'm not a fan of the "new stadium craze" that's swept the sports landscape since 1990. I'm more of a traditionalist at heart. I hate, absolutely hate, that Boston Garden was torn down, even though one could argue it was a dump. It was still the legendary home of the Celtics (and Bruins) where all those championships were won .. Hell, think that's where SteveG first got laid!<br><br>Look, if Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park and Wrigley Field can be maintained for decades upon decades, so can Texas Stadium. I don't believe it's falling down, especially since it's just a hair over 30 years old. When I was there in 1997 it wasn't in horrid shape.<br><br>But .. alas .. This is the era where all stadiums must be torn down and replaced with a gigantic, retractable roof luxury box holders .. I understand that .. It's sports today ... I just hate it.<br><br>****************<br><br> = days numbered
Posted by: steveg

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:37 AM

New sig, Not-the-only-Hole? <br><br>

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:38 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>New sig, Not-the-only-Hole?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Just an homage .. a tribute, if you will .. <br><br>****************<br><br> = days numbered
Posted by: steveg

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 10:39 AM

You are a cruel, cruel man. <br><br>

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 11:03 AM

I hear ya, but I never saw Texas Stadium as one of those 'classic' parks that needed to be preserved...to me, it's on par with the AstroDome- revolutionary for the time but now just looks tacky and outdated. IMO this has less to do with luxury boxes than it does the structure of the park. Dallas doesn't sell out their games every year like, say, the Jets and Giants do, so is there really a need for MORE seats?<br><br>When they're going to build a new one, though, I really love the Houston Texans' new park, and I think Dallas should emulate the design somewhat.<br><br>Some parks deserve preservation more than others- Fenway, Wrigley, Lambert- just to name a few. <br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 01:20 PM

Hey...what's this thread doing in this forum?<br><br>The original Cowboys stadium was the Cotton Bowl. Before Arlington got to bid on the new stadium they were going to tear down the Cotton Bowl and build it in Dallas. I wasn't crazy about that but the Cotton Bowl is looooong in the tooth and needs to be replaced or radically updated. Dallas' insane city leadership blew the deal and Arlington jumped at it. Of course Jerry Jones wants to split the costs with the tax payers which Dallas just wouldn't do. The traffic around the Fair Park/Cotton Bowl area would have been a nightmare anyway. <br><br>Texas Stadium is too dark inside for me, kinda depressing, you don't notice it as much on TV. Too much gray concrete everywhere. The roof has been patched several times and it doesn't match. The freeways to Texas Stadium can't handle the massive traffic. Everybody wants to play on real grass too. We've been ready for a better facility for a long time.<br><br>As I said in the other thread. The new stadium will be ready in 2009 so if you want to attend a game there you better hurry. BTW, if either of you guys come to town please look me up. I have 2 friends that work for the Cowboys and I can get you a personal tour of Texas Stadium. Heck, we can throw footballs around on the field if you want. No problemo! <br><br>Just PM me!<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ezyrider on 11/04/04 04:22 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 01:28 PM

Hey...what's this thread doing in this forum?<br><br>I think the Word Association thread bothers Matt too much to go into the Lounge...<br><br>Seriously, I think it started here because it was an item that was voted for on Tuesday...<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 02:11 PM

Interstingly enough (about the darkness of the stadium), part of this is due to luxury boxes lining the top of the stadium. Originally, these boxes didn't exist. There was a sizeable gap between the rim of the upper deck and the begining edge of the roof. It had, back in the 70s, more of an outdoor feel. <br><br>As for looking you up and the stadium tour, you've got a deal! I'll let you know when I'm coming down.<br><br><br>****************<br><br> = days numbered
Posted by: drjohn

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 02:32 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hey...what's this thread doing in this forum?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Politics and sports and very similar, considering the Monday morning quarterbacking both ensure.<br><br>Now if politicians had access to performance enhancing drugs...<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO... - 11/04/04 02:39 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>As for looking you up and the stadium tour, you've got a deal! I'll let you know when I'm coming down.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Please do! I would love it! My friends that work for the Cowboys can get us into virtually anywhere. One is the equipment manager and the other is a physical therapist, I work with their Dad. He gets 4 tickets per game, (season ticket holder no less) on the 50 yard line.<br><br>Pete wants to come down during a Giants game next year. It would be great if we could all see it together. <br><br>