Rap the vote?

Posted by: Trog

Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 12:12 PM

Not one of my favorite artists, but how often to you see videos like this?? Are the young people actually going to start paying attention? <br><br>Wow.<br><br>Slow to start.<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 12:27 PM

I've always hated Eminem for being an insincere, narcissistic twit. This does not change that, but it is definitely the first time I have ever heard actual anger behind his vocals instead of that goofy bounce-beat look-at-me crap. The video is a little bit overblown at times, but it certainly captures the anger and more so suspicion many people feel about the administration.<br><br>I never new little Marshal had it in him.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 12:51 PM

I feel the same way, but I'm glad he's on our side. <br><br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 01:16 PM

He's obviously one of the most profound intellects in the liberal camp.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 01:21 PM

Nope. But he's young, angry and most importantly, he speaks his own mind. Its not common for people like him to show interest in this.<br><br>“Honestly, I think we should just trust our president and every decision that he makes."<br><br> <blockquote> -Britney Spears </blockquote><br><br><br>Is that better?<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 01:46 PM

“Honestly, I think we should just trust our president and every decision that he makes."<br><br>-Britney Spears <br><br><br>Further proof, that the celebrity vapour heads really have nothing beneficial to add in the vast majority of cases. Stick with the (sometimes dubious) talent that you believe you have, and entertain people. Just because someone likes your music, doesn't mean that we should believe your opinions.<br><br>

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 01:52 PM

I think it all depends on how much credence you give art, and how much art you give music. For example, I don't think anyone would deny that Picasso's Guernica is the most striking and passionate painting against Spanish fascism. Now, Eminem certainly is not Picasso, but the premise is the same in terms of art. We here are not talking about who Eminem is voting for, but rather what the art he has crafted has to say.<br><br>This is incomparable to Brittney Spears, unless she sang some anthem for unthinking support of the American power structure. Go Brittney.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 03:05 PM

Art? I suppose that in the postmodern deconstructed world, what he does can be called "art". There are others with a modicum of taste, however, who regard his sophmoric coprolalia an effront to our senses and his over-hyped persona a representation of some of the very worst aspects of our society.<br><br>I don't give a rat's kiester about his politics. He's an embarassment to anyone he supports, liberal or conservative.<br><br>

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 06:03 PM

Right. I'm not saying Eminem is not sophomoric and most often sanctimonious. However, it does not take the canon of post-modern viewpoints to state that the title of "art" is not an elevation, it's just a categorization that does not in any way require anyone like or even appreciate its subject.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 07:43 PM

I wonder, could you define deconstructed for us? It's such a misunderstood and misapplied term that I really would like to know what it means.<br><br>

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 08:20 PM

"Humpty-Dumpty: When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less. <br><br>Alice: The question is, whether you can make a word mean so many different things. <br><br>Humpty-Dumpty: The question is, which is master--that's all."<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Rap the vote? - 10/26/04 09:21 PM

One of the fundamental insights of structuralism is that meaning depends on the systematicity of signs. What deconstruction points out is that any systematicity exists by exclusion, and that what's excluded is often interesting and sometimes revelatory. No willfulness of signification in either camp.<br><br>