Zero tolerance...Zero common sense

Posted by: Bryan

Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/15/04 12:33 AM

Why zero tolerance policies never work<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/15/04 12:46 AM

Zero tolerence rules weed out the stupid parents.<br><br>Irresponsible parents that would even consider packing a metal butter knife in their child's school lunch should be the focus. Schools have been forced to make these insane zero tolerence rules for the safety of the kids (and yes, liability protection from lawsuits...) mainly because of bad choices made by the parents. The kid should not be punished in any way, the parent should be responsible for the whole embarassing event. Unfortunately, this stupid parent will probably sue the school district and punish all the students by having vital funds stripped to pay lawyer fees.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/15/04 09:29 AM

Agreed. It's the same as when they were confiscating nail clippers at airports. Too many things can be made into a weapon that you just can't stop (a sharpened belt buckle point, or the whole belt, a tightly rolled magazine, a edge-sharpened credit card, etc., etc. etc,—too many thing to check for). Why not weed out the violent kids (oh, maybe because that takes diligence and effort?).<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/15/04 10:24 AM

If I were to make a braod statement, I'd say it's the "prison-culturization" of our society. We can't deal with the idea of an unsafe world, so we need to set up metaphoric prisons in zero-tolerance rules.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/16/04 08:18 PM

Strange parallel , schools are starting to look like a prison more and more. And what happens when you treat people like prisoners???? When I was in high school I had this math class in which almost every student had a parole officer, I actually saw kid stab another student in the neck with a tan gram,It wasn't a pretty site and needless to say I asked for a transfer.<br><br>Funny that you can’t bring a knife to school but you have access to more lethal things in a typical science class or math class.<br><br><br>"There's no substitute for the TRUTH....because the TRUTH needs no PROOF..."<br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/17/04 05:37 AM

Now all they need to do is fund the schools to the same level as they do the prisons, and our education will be the finest in the world.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Zero tolerance...Zero common sense - 10/17/04 09:21 AM

Zero tolerance policies never work...ever. <br><br>In practice, there is nothing in society that we have "zero tolerance" for. We tolerate murder in certain instances, for example. <br><br>What you have here is the inability of the morons that run this country's government schools to judge situations on a case-by-case basis. <br><br>