FactCheck.com

Posted by: MattMac112

FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:03 PM

My question . . . Has factcheck.com *always* redirected to the George Soros website? Or, was this a quick redirect?<br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>
Posted by: sean

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:12 PM

the slate.com com article i posted a snippet from earlier today revealed that george soros bought it last night (or, likely his people did). it was apparently a web-squatter who owned it until late last night and he took the $$$ and quickly redirected it.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:18 PM

February 4, 2004... RESEARCH BABY!!!<br><br>Link 1<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:19 PM

That's when it was registered... you're probably right though.<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>FactCheck.com Correction<br><br>We do not own the FactCheck.com domain name and are not responsible for it redirecting to GeorgeSoros.com. We are as surprised as anyone by this turn of events. We believe that Vice President Cheney intended to direct viewers to FactCheck.org.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>[color:purple]We're building up or tearing down In everything we do;<br>Are you on the construction gang Or on the wrecking crew? - Anon</font color=purple>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 01:26 PM

Well, that's when it was registered -- I have the impression that it didn't redirect to Soros' site until last night. It also now appears that Soros did NOT buy the domain -- georgesoros.com is now saying that they don't own the factcheck.com domain and are as surprised as anybody else that it redirects to their site ...<br><br>Still a brilliant gag no matter who owns the domain ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 02:22 PM

I watched the debate on TiVo, well after the debate was over. Had I been watching it live, I would've gone immediately to my Mac to see what factcheck.com brought up . . . Matter of fact, when I saw Cheney's blunder, I paused TiVo and did exactly that . . . but by that time (around 11:15pm) the redirect had already occurred.<br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>
Posted by: Trog

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 02:44 PM

Since Soros himself claims he didn't ask for it to happen its very odd. Someone who owns the site may be showing they are not politically neutral... or Soros is lying.<br><br>However, it appears Cheney screwed up even worse. Factcheck.org actually backs up Edwards' claim and not Cheney's, so it was at least a single blunder (and maybe a double blunder) after all.<br><br>LINK<br><br>Factcheck.org, run by the Annenberg Center of the University of Pennsylvania, said on its site on Wednesday that Cheney not only got the domain name confused, he had mischaracterized its fact-finding.<br><br>"Cheney ... wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton," the site said on Wednesday.<br><br>"In fact we did post an article pointing out that Cheney hasn't profited personally while in office from Halliburton's Iraq (news - web sites) contracts, as falsely implied by a Kerry TV ad. But Edwards was talking about Cheney's responsibility for earlier Halliburton troubles. And in fact, Edwards was mostly right."<br>
Posted by: sean

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 04:44 PM

AP photo:<br><br><br><br>just kidding, it's from salon.com and article titled, "Ominous rumblings from Mount Cheney<br>Poked and prodded by his younger opponent, Old Dick lets loose clouds of steam and ash but doesn't blow." great photo.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato

Re: FactCheck.com - 10/06/04 05:34 PM

<br><br>"I'll crush you like the beotch that you are, Edwards!"<br><br><br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>