OMFG!!!

Posted by: steveg

OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 04:18 AM

I'm making a political post!!! Hell must've just frozen over. <br><br>Anyway, I gotta toss my .02 in on this one. I think Darth VP really did bit of a number on Edwards last night. Not that Edwards didn't make a fair accounting of himself, but Cheney is an old pro. Not a very trustworthy pro, but a pro just the same. And despite the distortion and manipulation and manufacturing of facts, Cheney presented them articulately and *ugh* almost believably. Edwards did kinda-sorta ok, but against his opponent, I think he was a bit out of his depth.<br><br>I can only hope Bush continues to blink and grimace in the next debate. <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 05:13 AM

Although I will vote Bush/Cheney I just do not like Mr. Cheney. He reminds me of a money grubbing slum lord uncle of mine who holds the almighty dollar in higher esteem than his own kids. Every time I see him or talk to him he just thoroughly pisses me off. I know that my reasons for disliking Cheney are pretty shallow, but that's just too bad. I was really hoping that Guiliani or McCain would be Bush's running mate this time around. But my vote will really not matter, as you know New York state will deliver the electoral votes to Kerry/Edwards.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 05:15 AM

that's an interesting take. "And despite the distortion and manipulation and manufacturing of facts, Cheney presented them articulately and *ugh* almost believably." amazing that the truth can seemingly be overlooked if it's presented articulately and "almost" believably to the point where cheney can "win" despite the facts. i thought cheney was monotonous and hunched over a bit, but i thought he acted like he had a command of the facts. i suppose it's true that perceptions are more truth than truth at times, and this is probably one of those times. cheney was misrepresenting the truth and i think being accountable for lies should be more at the forefront for all politicians. karl rove knows better than anyone that lying at first will stick with many people ("this is the first time i've met you senator" -- that'll stick even though people find out it's a lie; though, the image below helps edwards' claims that cheney lies). if you are corrected later on, many of the people who heard the initial lie will never hear the correction -- the lie resonates. lie, lie, lie. and, in fact cheney was lying and misrepresenting figures and the truth: factcheck (.org -- not .com as cheney implied)<br>of course, they both had their moments of making things up or twisting the facts, but you can read from the link and see how much more space is spent on cheney. <br><br>dubya should turn in a much better showing this friday. they say he's a man of the people and he'll be with the people. kerry is too stately to look comfy in that atmosphere. dubya should walk all over kerry this friday.<br><br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sean on 10/06/04 08:26 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 05:27 AM

Yeah, I agree. I can't believe the polls are giving this one to Edwards. It was a draw at best. Edwards had a couple of "golly gee" moments where he appeared to be 15, not a quality people want in a Veep.<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 06:31 AM

Cheney appears to be evil. Almost conniving. Like a certain classified ads manager I used to work for. It's like he's candy coating something but does it in such a way that you have to buy it. EVIL. But, with that said, the closing comments by Edwards and Cheney clinched it. Edwards connected with people through emotions, not facts. Cheney stumbled through his comments and that kind of made him seem ill-prepared. <br><br>I like the above quote. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Although I will vote Bush/Cheney I just do not like Mr. Cheney.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That could be a bumper sticker.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 06:47 AM

<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 06:57 AM

It's funny how Cheney has been portrayed. <br><br>When he was in Congress all those years, and then as Bush Sr's Defense Secretary, he was widely regarded as a fairly moderate, non-confrontational sort. Kind of just a boring guy that made the rounds on the Sunday talking head shows. <br><br>I mean, he was Gerald Ford's Chief of Staff...and Ford could hardly be called a neocon. <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 07:05 AM

Well, last night he definitely won the debate about who has actually been calling the shots for the last four years. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 07:10 AM

LOL. that's pretty clever.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: nutty

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 07:28 AM

you have to admit, he does seem like a crotchety old arsehole! <br><br>the least he could do is pick his head up from his chest!<br><br>also when he mention factcheck.COM i laughed out loud. politicians (on both sides) are so out of touch it isnt even funny<br><br><br><br>You cant polish a Turd.
Posted by: newkojak

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 08:13 AM

Well, you could look at it another way. Cheney has not given you any reason to like him. That's not all that shallow.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 08:13 AM

the worst part? factcheck.com redirects to billionaire loserboys site....<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 08:16 AM

Rewind to the Cheney/Lieberman debates and we would have all probably held the exact same impression of him, moderate, non-confrontational, hell even funny. He ceased that as soon as he got into office though and started getting all pissy and secretive over his energy and foreign policy. So I don't think he has anyone else to blame for the way he is widely viewed.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 08:30 AM

<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 10:57 AM

<br><br>An amazing resemblance. The chin inside the tie is good but I would make the head a bit larger. Mister Burns should also be rubbing his hands more like the troll under the bridge in the "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" story.<br><br>I think saturating the picture so he has a fake sun tan is totally unfair. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 06:37 PM

My sense is that the image of Cheney as the moderate is what is a "portrayal." His votes when he was in Congress, some of which Edwards accurately listed last night, are just teh tip of the iceberg. Any his wife Lynne is no moderate either, although the axe I grind about her is more about the damage she did to my particular slice of the world, the NEH, which has never recovered from her stint as its head.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/06/04 08:55 PM

You must be one of those "liberal academics are teaching students to hate America."<br><br> Lynne Cheney is quite a googleful.<br><br>Now we know why Dick looks like Mister Burns. (Mr Burns is a virgin.)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: OMFG!!! - 10/07/04 09:06 AM

Well, I think sometimes she makes Ashcroft look like a softie on "cultural" issues <br><br>