ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Bryan

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:01 PM

I was so excited about the Vice-Presidential debate that I switched to the Yankees-Twins game on Fox. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:08 PM

i watched the whole thing. i think either side could claim a victory (and they will). but, a month from now, these two guys will be an afterthought. i wish i'd watched something else as well.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:14 PM

Gee, Bryan, here I am disagreeing with you again. There were times there when I thought that Cheney did as good a job as anyone will ever do of painting the Republican vision of Kerry and Edwards. If that's what they see, I thought to myself, no wonder they have fear and loathing for the Kerry-Edwards team. That's not to say that he convinced me that his view was real, though. On the other side, I thought Edwards came across as something of a light weight.<br><br>But I guess I was wrong about the first presidential one, so I'm ready to be wrong about this one too.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:17 PM

That's not to say that he convinced me that his view was real, though. On the other side, I thought Edwards came across as something of a light weight.<br><br>I thought Cheney came off as scary- does that man ever lift his head off of his chest?! <br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:20 PM

How about the constant wringing of the hands? He is kinda spooky, no doubt.<br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:20 PM

chris matthews and joe scarborough loved dick cheney tonight. i am very biased and i personally thought cheney sounded monotone and boring, but i could easily see how both sides had their moments, though, the "moments" were really low on the applause-o-meter.<br><br>okay, tom brokaw is giving cheney high praise as well.<br><br>tim russert is also praising cheney. i haven't turned to fox news yet, but the conservative media is in full effect. (to be fair, russert just said that edwards was able to rally the democratic base and cheney was a fighter for his ticket -- he's just trying to take back his conservative slip from a few moments ago. damn flip-flopper)<br><br>fortunately, most unscientific polls have edwards up about 85% - 15%. the people are speaking. <br><br>EDIT: Fox News website poll:<br><br>Senator Edwards: 56%<br>Cheney: 42%<br>(*note: this is an unscientific poll)<br><br><br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sean on 10/05/04 11:24 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:38 PM

I think both candidates did what they came in to do. Edwards proved that he could make and defend his stances. Cheney proved he was a bulldog. If there was any advantage to Edwards, it was the fact that Cheney was giving the same litany of messages that have already been painted as misleading. Edwards didn't really take enough advantage of that though by bringing up new material.<br><br>There certainly weren't any Quayle moments. Neither men said or did anything that will be repeated over and over again for the next week.<br><br>I think moot is the best way to describe this debate.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:49 PM

Too bad you missed CBS's Rather and some talking head. I caught the end of their summary and they felt Edwards showed he a was caring man by talking so nicely about Cheney's lesbian daughter and that Edward's "being a smooth trial lawyer was able to rebut Cheney's points easily" And clearly won the debate tonight. I think Cheney was Cheney a curmudgeonly old C level personality who talks out of the side of his mouth and Edwards seemed a bit out of his element and at times a little, not a lot, but a little uncomfortable.<br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 08:59 PM

well, the online polling is overwhelmingly in favor of edwards. they just said that both national parties were encouraging their droves of followers to vote in these polls. if they're both doing it, then many republicans are just honestly voting for edwards. <br><br>NBC just produced a tape of cheney saying that saddam *was* part of the heart of the group that attacked us on 9/11 (meet the press). tonight cheney said he never said that. <br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: garyW

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 09:22 PM

Cheney: "...in fact, tonight is the first time I ever met you."<br><br><br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 09:32 PM

Obviously photoshopped! <br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/05/04 10:06 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 12:18 AM

Nope..it turns out there are three occasions on camera where Cheney and Edwards are shown meeting/shaking hands prior to the debate. I wonder why Edwards let that go?!?!<br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 07:32 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I wonder why Edwards let that go?!?!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Because he knew everything from The Daily Show to CBS News would spend every minute they have to talk about the debate defending Edwards and pointing out every mistake Cheney made. And they haven't let him down. <br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:01 AM

Yeah but none would have been more powerful than Edwards saying directly to his face "Uhhh...what about the time we shook hands at that prayer breakfast?"<br><br>Talk about a zinger.<br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:05 AM

I did get the impression sometimes that Edwards was letting things go, and media coverage might have been a good reason. He had been trained though to be sure to respond to the most serious of Cheney's claims. Wow.... I wonder if he did know to just leave it?<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:32 AM

He was smart to let it go. If he had fed Cheney "in fact we did meet..." line, I'm sure Cheney would have killed him with a response that followed up his previous attack line that "you're such an insignificant member of the Senate it's no wonder I didn't remember meeting you". <br><br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:38 AM

the more you allow yourself to respond to charges, the more you highlight them and become defensive. dubya was on the defense in the first debate most of the time and that was detrimental to him. you've got to let insignificant things go or spend a very brief moment countering them and going right back to the attack.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: Trog

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:39 AM

Maybe, but a response like that would have looked incredibly arrogant (and even premeditated). My opinion is that Edwards was caught off guard. I mean, what an odd thing to say to someone you obviously have met.<br><br>

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 10/07/04 10:48 AM

"...would have looked incredibly arrogant..."<br><br>Like Cheney and Bush have had a problem with that. It seems to be one of their most successful attributes. [bleh]<br><br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 06/11/09 11:57 AM

Anonymous was reading this thread so I had to check it out! smile

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 06/11/09 12:04 PM

The Cheney/Edwards debate ... what fond memories. [bleh]

But since you brought this up to the top .... where the heck is Trog?

Posted by: FSM

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - 06/13/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FSM
i watched the whole thing. i think either side could claim a victory (and they will). but, a month from now, these two guys will be an afterthought. i wish i'd watched something else as well.
i was right. someone give me a prize. ;~)