fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)?

Posted by: sean

fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 09:48 AM

so, you've probably heard the story that fox news posted a bogus story attributing some stupid, silly, gay, and incorrect quotes to john kerry on the internet. well, they have apologized for posting the false story, but the effects of this "error" were seen way beyond the initial posting on the web. part of the fake story revealed that john kerry got a manicure (he didn't) for the debate last week. this lie quickly made its way into their television broadcasts . . . many times.<br><br>watch how fox news and their guests ran with this little fib in the link at the end of this paragraph. the vast, vast majority of fox news viewers will never see that they have <a href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134166,00.html">since apologized (apology here)</a> for the faux story and they still haven't come back to point out they were quite biased in how they ran with the story, but you wouldn't expect that from fox news. anyway, they took the lie and ran with it. here are the .MOV clips patched together: <a href="http://mediamatters.org/static/video/fnc-manicure.mp4">link (.MOV)</a><br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by:

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 10:29 AM

We should still discuss his manicure, though. It's the crux, for God's sake!<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 10:32 AM

this is what he pulled from his pocket<br><br><br><br>You cant polish a Turd.
Posted by: newkojak

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 10:33 AM

That's so [censored] hilarious Sam!<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by:

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 11:21 AM

It thought it was cute. <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 12:19 PM

Fox leans right? Next you'll be telling me CNN, PBS, ABC, CBS/60 Minutes, MSNBC, and NBC lean left. Tell me it isn't so Tom! They lie! They lie!<br><br><br><br>oh rats. <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 12:25 PM

One cable channel, which isn't even available in some parts of the country, has got some liberals all twisted up. I love it. One cable channel vs. the "NBC/ ABC/ CBS/ MSNBC/ PBS Kerry Campaign transcription service." <br><br><br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 12:43 PM

fox news has 9 of the top 10 cable news shows. and, they are available to anyone with direct tv in any part of the country. fox news is available in most cable television line ups. they are available to most of the country.<br><br>this wasn't a story about bias; this was an outright made up story that they trumpeted again and again as if it were true. now, it turns out that they started the lie and ran with it. at least drudge allows others to start the lie and then he runs with it (ditto CBS). this is pretty low.<br><br>i don't care if fox news is biased much of the time. people like being angry and they like having news presented in entertaining ways. fox news is capitalizing on this. good for them. on the other hand, i am not so naive as to believe that these silly little national enquirer-type stories don't resonate with people. unfortunately, little stories like this can sway voters and often mean more than *real* issues. there's a great story in the Atlantic this month that spells out some of the details of the tricks karl rove has used over the years. he has been extremely effective in texas and alabama by keying voters into these enquirer-type issues and how these issues are more important than real issues. it's worked masterfully for him. give him a large news network and it sure seems like a recipe for continued success to me.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 12:57 PM

PBS? PBS?!?<br><br>You're taking on the most impartial, non-sensationalist news source there. As far as I can tell, they have the closest approximation of objectivity there is.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 01:16 PM

close but no cigar <br><br>I do concur. I think people equate PBS with NPR which is about as left-leaning as one can get. It frustrates me to hear how NPR often leaves out obvious counter-arguments or -information. <br><br>I still say the network news is not as liberal as it is lazy and sensationalist. There's plenty of right-leaning, fear-mongering stories on network/cable news when it gets you to stick around through a commercial break. They're all about bottom-line profits, not about setting an agenda.<br><br>

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 01:31 PM

Well, the point is that objective journalism is an ideal that news organizations try to approximate. No one is perfect. Either way, I have heard all sorts of crap about the public broadcasters, but it's all just that, crap. I have never been presented with any kind of reasonable argument for the supposed liberal tendencies of NPR or PBS's news reporting.<br><br>It's kind of telling though that the people who hate the public broadcasters also subscribe to the most misleading news sources in the country. That Pew poll that revealed NPR/PBS listeners had more accurate impressions of the circumstances surrounding the Iraq War may be a bit played out, but it makes sense. Good journalism doesn't get you ratings, but in PBS and NPR's case, it should get respect.<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 01:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>little stories like this can sway voters and often mean more than *real* issues.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You mean like the CBS-George Bush-Air National Guard story, based on fraudulent documents, right after the Republican National Convention and timed *perfectly* to coincide with the Kerry Campaign "Fortunate Son" Air National Guard campaign ad? <br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>
Posted by: squareman

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 02:00 PM

Like I said, I can't listen to NPR because it drives me nuts when I hear them leave out or ignore obvious holes in their stories. I want to like them because I prefer the dry presentation they offer, but the obvious holes are just too glaring to me. I'm not saying broadcast news doesn't do that too, but then I don't listen to broadcast news either. <br><br>I'd take BBC news over NPR any day. PBS news seems closer to that ideal objectivism during presentation than most other American sources though. <br><br>

Re: fox news = CBS (or worse, drudge)? - 10/05/04 06:11 PM

that's exactly what i mean matt. CBS was irresponsible for believing they had the scoop on a story without double-checking it. they should pay for this. however, they didn't make up a story on their own. fox news just outright lied. i know you want to turn this to CBS, but we've had those discussions at length. why not address what fox news has done and show just as much contempt? <br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato