Personality + Politics

Posted by: Pete

Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 08:51 AM

Personality predicts politics<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A person with a low NE tends to glance at a shirt, for example, and describe it as a shirt, but someone with a high NE calls it a ghastly or great shirt. The latter group tend to make more judgements about what they see. <br><br>People with a high NE were much more likely to ally themselves to either the Republican or Democratic party, be a political activist or glean political information from the media, Petty reports in the Journal of Personality1 . They were also simply more likely to vote. This was true even once their age, sex, income and education level had been taken into account. "Personality matters in politics," Petty says.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Sounds about right, judging by the personalities in HERE... <br><br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: sean

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 10:02 AM

need to evaluate?<br><br>sounds to me like people who vote and are more likely to be involved in politics are the same people who know how to stop and smell the roses. at the same time, those people who don't vote are probably stuck in a ho-hum routine they do each day.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato

Re: Personality Politics - 09/23/04 10:06 AM

Ah yes, I always associate the phrase 'smelling the roses' with the teeth-gnashing and sabre-rattling that goes on with politics...<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: Personality Politics - 09/23/04 10:49 AM

well, it's as reasonable as saying "shirt" versus "great shirt" is.<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 12:01 PM

I may be reading between the lines but I think the gist of the story is:<br><br>People with low NE do not vote, are not interested in politics, are boring grey shirt bed wetters who like a world of strict rules so they don't have to make a decision themselves and they're stupid to boot.<br><br>I'm wearing a colorful Hawaiian shirt today and I am very interested in politics. How about you Sean? Are you wear a garish Hawaiian shirt right now? <br><br><br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: Personality Politics - 09/23/04 12:12 PM

Bad taste in fashion somehow makes you more worldly? <br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 12:23 PM

"I'm wearing a colorful Hawaiian shirt today and I am very interested in politics. How about you Sean? Are you wear a garish Hawaiian shirt right now?"<br><br>According to Homer Simpson, Hawaiian shirts are either worn by gay guys or big, fat party animals.<br><br>

Re: Personality Politics - 09/23/04 12:28 PM

Noooooh. Bad taste in fashion makes you smarter. Throw in a half bottle of wine every night and I'm a genius with a large dry cleaning bill. <br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 12:30 PM

Hopefully you are not using Homer as a life consultant.<br><br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: Personality Politics - 09/23/04 12:38 PM

File poly under 'big fat party animal' then..<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by:

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 01:28 PM

"Hopefully you are not using Homer as a life consultant."<br><br>Too late. <br><br>

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 01:44 PM

<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato

Re: Personality + Politics - 09/23/04 01:52 PM

Crikey, great minds think alike. I'm wearing the same shirt today but with a garish orange background* instead of the dark blue.<br><br>Since I am not fat .... I guess i have some explaining to the wife. (by the way, cute pic. )<br><br>dooh. <br><br><br>* On any warm day I usually wear an Hawaiian shirt but Thursday's it is now mandatory to dress outrageous. I've got an art class to go to and I'm trying to blend in.<br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener