Those "daring insurgents"

Posted by: Bryan

Those "daring insurgents" - 09/18/04 03:37 PM

The media's love affair with terrorists continues...<br><br>Just watched the NBC Nightly News....and they called the terrorists that took hostages in Iraq "daring and sophisticated" and then again referred to the "daring insurgents."<br><br>Why won't they use the word? These bastards that take people hostage and threaten to kill them are TERRORISTS.<br><br>/rant<br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/18/04 05:33 PM

So are you saying the media is attempting to romanticize the term insurgent?<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/18/04 06:04 PM

i think a more appropriate term might be nationalists for many; no different than the way our militias would act if another country took over the US. calling them terrorists is very misleading, imho, but that would be the term this administration would prefer to strengthen their case for going there in the first place; however, i think there are many people there who would call us the terrorists. my link from earlier today talks about how the americans are having trouble with educated iraqis because they are being lead to believe that the US did 9/11 to themselves so they could use it to attack iraq. we're nowhere close to winning the hearts and minds . . . regular iraqis don't trust us, let alone the iraqis who hated us from the get-go. <br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/19/04 06:18 AM

I'm not sure how you can call them nationalists, when, with one exception, they are being incited by non-Iraqis. This isn't about nationalism, it's about power and who is going to have it. If these terrorists win, mark my words, you will see another Taliban style of government quickly followed by state sponsored terrorism.<br><br><br>Salus populi suprema lex

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/19/04 06:49 AM

i can call them nationalist because there are a great many iraqis who are fed up with the americans and want us gone. what do you call residents of a middle eastern country who aren't happy being occupied by a western nation? they want their country back. do i think iran is supplying: people, weapons, supplies, intelligence, etc. to iraq? of course. i think iran was masterful in duping the current president and his admin into starting a war in iraq. they wanted saddam gone more than anyone and they see a majority of the people in iraq who are probably going to feel comfortable having a gov't that is close to iran's than the united states' and that speaks volumes. <br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: AfterTenSoftware

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/19/04 07:20 PM

Sure, blowing up shoppers is the work of true nationalists.<br><br>"Let's blow up a big bomb in a marketplace, that will really show those Americans we mean business."<br><br>The leaders are not nationalists they are terrorists. Using classic terrorist requiting techniques. They use "nationalism" to get unemployed desperate people to do their bidding. They cloud their violence in terms like "Only attacking the US and collaborators." When, in fact, the are mostly targeting Iraqi security and Iraqi civilians. Why? To increase the pressure on the US to leave by the Iraqis. Then, if they get their way, the US will leave and the terrorist leaders get to lead in an even more repressive regime.<br><br>Seriously does anyone really think any of these groups really are fighting for the future free Iraq?<br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/19/04 07:34 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Sure, blowing up shoppers is the work of true nationalists<p><hr></blockquote><p>from our perspective, that's just a terroristic activity and you won't get much argument from me. i would point out that it's highly plausible that wreaking havoc is one method of making the americans look bad. it's one way of trying to create mayhem, which will reflect poorly on the US. when bad things happen to iraqis, they often lash out in anger at the US even if the source of the damage was an iraqi citizen. a very precocious situation. but, the americans are heavily protected and the insurgents are often smart enough to take easier targets if the result is that the iraqi people are going to hate the US anyway. that sux, eh?<br><br><br>--<br>one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
Posted by: Trog

Re: Those "daring insurgents" - 09/19/04 07:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Seriously does anyone really think any of these groups really are fighting for the future free Iraq<p><hr></blockquote><p>I sure don't. There sure is some strong influence by these terrorist groups to get the young men to do what they do. To be honest, I cannot comprehend their thinking. Even if a foreign power stole my house and took control of my country I would not blow myself up in a crowd of other civilians (or even the foreign military for that matter). <br><br>But, it seems like a no-brainer that our presence there has not decreased terrorist recruitment. I would expect the opposite.<br><br>