The Book the Kerry Champaign Tried to Suppress

Posted by: Biggerfoot

The Book the Kerry Champaign Tried to Suppress - 09/17/04 08:54 AM

This is an interesting link/read:<br><br>http://freekerrybook.org/index.htm<br><br>The book download is at the bottom.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: The Book the Kerry Champaign Tried to Suppress - 09/17/04 10:34 AM

Where does it say that the Kerry campaign has ever tried to suppress this book? I never heard that. Although I am surprised it hasn't gone into a reprinting.<br><br>For a site that is anti-Kerry it seems pretty fair. just prints the facts. The photo library is an amazing glimpse of what 1971 was like. I was sixteen at the time and my sisters who lived in Washington DC took me to a bunch of protest marches at the White House and the mall. An amazing group of people. The Vietnam Veterans march I remember as a real turning point. That march I believe shortened the war. There was no denying the facts when the young men coming back were saying it.<br><br>I would strongly disagree with only the one statement on the web pages front page which states that "many" believe that the protesters prolonged the war. The only way that could be true would be if we had an actual chance of winning the Vietnam War. Pure fantasy. Kind of like the fantasy we now have about planting the flag of democracy in Iraq.<br><br>The only difference is it is hard to say "Iraqization". <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener
Posted by: newkojak

Re: The Book the Kerry Champaign Tried to Suppress - 09/17/04 10:51 AM

I'm no child of the sixtees, and I understand that much of what I know about the decade, including Vietnam, has been filtered down through glasses of various shades of pink, whether it was romanticising of the mission or the counter-culture.<br><br>Despite my limited experience with that part of history, my BS detector (to borrow Neil Postman's term) is up, running, and going crazy. The very assertion that protests prolonged the war would be rediculous on its face to every rational being if the idea weren't repeated ad nauseum by war hawks. What we have is a case of a horrible failure in foreign policy and the policy makers' serogates blaming protestors for their own failed leadership.<br><br>Are protests relevant when evaluating the United States's actions in Southeast Asia? Of course not, but it's much easier to have a hyperbolic argument about the protests than to face up to the idea tha twe severely [censored] up as a country. Of course we aren't really even talking about the content of the protests, or whether the war was justified or right. We talk about some remote possibility that the US's lengthy stay in a directionless war was anything other than the policymaker's fault.<br><br>[censored] ridiculous!<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey<br>