60 Minutes

Posted by: MattMac112

60 Minutes - 09/11/04 08:49 PM

Read . . . and then wait . . . <br><br><embed src="http://img41.exs.cx/img41/5551/60minbusted.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480"></embed> <br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>
Posted by: AfterTenSoftware

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 09:00 PM

Cute, but still full of the bad analysis that other are using to claim they are real.<br>All the stuff was available (I haven't heard about the 13 point line spacing thing) but it the combination of stuff that is in dispute.<br><br>Really, all I see this thing doing is confusing the issue more.<br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 09:11 PM

I just thought it was interesting, not that this regurgitated-for-the-fifth-time ANG story matters one scintilla to the real issues of this election. What it does demonstrate is how desperate the media (whether or not in complicity with the Kerry campaign) has become in trying to oust Bush. Until I see Dan Rather sit down and do a softshoe interview with the Swift Boat Vets, why should we think otherwise? <br><br>Also, speaking to my earlier point, why Terry McAuliffe didn't just come out and say "yeah, these documents are real", instead of his "go ask [boogeyman] Karl Rove" comment, is telling. Who knows if there's complicity? You decide.<br><br>****************<br><br>[color:blue]VOTE</font color=blue>[color:red] for President George W. Bush on November 2, 2004</font color=red>
Posted by: garyW

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 09:16 PM

Wow. Everything you read on the Internet is true! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 09:20 PM

It's definitely the comparison to Word's default spacing and word wrap that's most damaging.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 09:46 PM

Huh, I just tried it in Word in default everything and the Word wrap was different. "period" stayed up and then "not happy" did not make the last line.<br><br>Could it be that one had to hunt for a font to get it to word wrap the same way? And the memos are not that long. The chance of someone who has been typing through his career (or his secretary) to make the same word wrap is not such a leap. <br><br>I took a typewriting class in 1972. I hated it because everything was knit picky. My teacher insisted we follow the very precise rules for word wrap. The Microsoft program is only using the exact same rules that this guy had drilled into his head when he was taught. He probably had the same nun I had. And it wasn't really that hard with the simple words in the memo. A friggin' bell rings! An idiot can do it when you don't have polysyllabic scientific words in it. Then it is a bitch.<br><br>After reading Sean's last link from an expert I agree with the expert. No one knows anything until the originals are looked at. These memos could very well be forgeries but to have them damned by "internet wingnuts" is hilarious.<br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 10:00 PM

You can exactly duplicate two of the memos in Word using the standard Word shipping defaults. For the other two you have to change the left and right margins from the default of 1.25 in to something like .95 in. But that is the only change you have to make. I did it, of course.<br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003
Posted by: polymerase

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 10:12 PM

You duplicated the word wrap using the default on half the memos and on the other half you had to change them a bit.<br><br>I would bet if you gave those memos to 100 people in 1972 who were taught to type in junior high five years before that the memos on 90% would word wrap identically to the "fakes".<br><br>The default setting in Microsoft Word is the exact default that was drilled into kids in the typing lab in junior high. My brother could type like this exactly the same every time because his nun would crack his knuckles with a ruler when he mistyped. <br><br>My mother could repeat that memo in 10 seconds on her manual typewriter. It is a lost art that most people, including guard officers knew.<br><br><br><br>luciferase is a four nineteener

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 10:13 PM

Actually the centering of the headers from two of the memos is also very interesting. That is if you want to think the memos were typed on an IBM Selectric Composer (the current front runner).<br>See this...<br>http://shapeofdays.typepad.com/the_shape_of_days/2004/09/the_ibm_selectr.html<br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003
Posted by: garyW

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 10:22 PM

Has anyone had a laugh over the irony of CBS and this memo's heading,<br><br>CYA<br>cover your ass<br><br><br>who knew! <br><br>

Re: 60 Minutes - 09/11/04 10:36 PM

Now here's an argument for the documents being authentic I can could see as valid.<br><br>Two of the memos have identical "letterhead".<br>Suppose two things about these memos.<br>1. The memos are real so were typed in 72-73.<br>2. The letterhead were Xerox copies then the memos typed on them.<br><br>Someone has pointed out that the 'contents' of the memo is skewed from the letterhead. This would seem consistent with putting Xeroxed letterhead in a machine then typing the contents.<br><br>This just shows why people need to see the originals to check this kind of thing out.<br><br><br>Dean Davis<br><br>-----<br>"I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." -- John Kerry (D) - May 3, 2003