Current Events: Russian School

Posted by: alAnonymous

Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 10:26 AM

This is going to be a little bit of a ramble...so apologies in advance...I'm not writing any of this with a sentiment of "irony" or sarcasm...and it may seem a little dark...so again, apologies...<br><br>Who do you blame for the murder of the children in this situation? Don't we as a society make children the targets each time a politician gets up and invokes the "child factor"?? For god's sake...it's about time politicians and the world in general is held accountable for making children walking targets by hiding behind them.<br><br>I'm sure I'm just oversimplifying, but the terrorists in Russia wouldn't have chosen a school on the first day with kids as the target if the political rhetoric that invokes children as compelling, justified reasoning for *insert political or business agenda here* didn't exist.<br><br>It's time to STOP ACCEPTING THIS RHETORIC from leaders. Demand logic and critical reasoning for arguments instead.<br><br>If it's unacceptable for rogue regimes to literally use body shields to protect facilities (etc.), it's just as unacceptable for politicians to invoke children as political shields...otherwise the Russian school incident will become a model for the future.<br><br>Hope some of that makes some sense...<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 10:31 AM

I always found the use of children to carry signs at protest events silly and out of place.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 10:32 AM

Mmm...I guess I'm trying to get at the default "think of the children" or "do it for the children" rhetoric that most failing politcal debates fall into. Exploiting children for politics firmly places them within sights as a target for enemies. And in the age of terrorism as warfare...that means they'll become fodder.<br>
Posted by: srumrill

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 10:35 AM

I agree with you there. Went into downtown Boston during the DNC to check out the "protest cage", and a few parents parading their children around with protest banners and signs. It really just made me feel uneasy. <br><br>Heck, I didn't even like the Harlem Boys Choir perfoming at th RNC. And there were a few equivalent childen's groups singing / speaking at the DNC. Didn't like any of it.<br><br>
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 10:48 AM

Terrorists by their nature are trying to promote their adjenda through terror. What greater way to cause terror than to attack childeren. It has nothing to do with political rhetoric. For these people childeren are simply a means to and end. <br><br><br>Salus populi suprema lex
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 11:11 AM

I have to agree. These children weren't targeted because of any political statement invoking children and the future. They were chosen because they presented the most emotionally sensitive target. At least, that's how I see it.<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/03/04 12:59 PM

I think the others on this post are right - politicians and terrorists both use children because they're more emotially charged "targets", and in both cases, don't really possess the facilities to fight back effectively if they even understand enough to disagree with the people using them.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Current Events: Russian School - 09/04/04 01:39 PM

The fact is Russian anti terrorists units suck!<br><br>