Playing with EFI Framework

Posted by: TCPMeta

Playing with EFI Framework - 11/18/09 11:22 AM

I've been playing with the Tricore EFI Framework. For giggles I even replaced the "Put logo here" splash screen with a black background and a white apple logo lol. The EFI Framework is way different then the Apple setup, it's more of a unix environment but of course it's a framework for development use for hardware drivers and extension applications such as a TCP/IP stack, file manager and so on.

Sadly there isn't a binary available so you have to use Windows and visual studio 2003 .net to compile it and run it in emulation.

As I said before the framework is for development use and can not be used as a BIOS replacement. However the more I play with it, it feels like the CoreBoot (LinuxBIOS) project.

Here are a couple of screen shots.
splash screen

shell
Posted by: neil

Re: Playing with EFI Framework - 11/19/09 09:47 AM

Very cool. Do you expect that you can learn anything here that will help the abandoned hackintosh folks that can no longer use 10.6.2?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Playing with EFI Framework - 11/19/09 06:32 PM

Doubt it with just the frame work. If I had a ROM dump of a intel mac the tools of the trade I could figure out something. Really and truthfully if some one was smart enough they could build a EFI system to lay on top (IE load into RAM) kinda like OpenBIOS and use a chain loader to boot up OS X.

Besides with all of the hackers, programmers and technologists out in the world they will find a easy way to make 10.6.2 to run on normal PC hardware.