Installing OS X On The Xbox360

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/03/07 12:23 PM

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?  The Xbox360 uses a tri-core 3.0 GHz PowerPC processor and a special ATi graphics card... It would be the ultimate PowerPC Mac, and OS X might be able to run on it without any special drivers.  Has anyone tried to install OS X on their 360?  I've searched the 'net numerous times for just such an attempt (and hopefully success), but I only get returns on OS X running on (an emulator on) the original Xbox.  If no one has, I have a friend who owns a 360, and I own copy of the retail Tiger install disc.  Conceivably, the Xbox HD could be backed up, wiped, and have the Mac OS installed via a mac.  With the addition of the Xbox360 controller driver, it would be one slick setup!
Posted by: 987687

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/03/07 03:30 PM

Take the hard drive out of you mac and stick it in the Xbox, see if it will boot.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/03/07 05:33 PM

Trust me. Theres a ton of people working on this.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/04/07 12:27 PM

I think someone with serious expertise would need to look at this. I suspect the PPC processor is sufficiently different to the G5 to need some 'drivers' which will not be present in a retail Tiger. But then it might just be down to what the chip reports itself as. If it doesn't match the descriptors in the OS, then it probably won't run.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/04/07 01:43 PM

I'm sure it can be done but you would have to do some firmware hacking for sure.

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/04/07 08:02 PM

Theres a video floating around youtube of some one running OSx on the 360 but you can't see any mouse movement and looks more like OSx86 loading up then what a mac or a 360 would look like.

I found a mod where some guy bought a busted 360 and installed a micro atx system that was OSx86 native (hacked) into the case. It might be the video of that system.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/05/07 01:24 PM

That OSx86 box made news on this website, too.  I saw that, and that was the immediate impetus for this post.

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/11/07 03:56 PM

So far the only mods for the 360 is making the HD DVD drive work in windows or tricking the system to transfer files from your computer to the 360. Other then that I havn't found any that deals with tricking/hacking the firmware. Oh and the water cooled 360 too, I almost forgot that one.

Re: Installing OS X On The Xbox360 - 06/16/07 09:01 PM

I've been searching around and theres a custom distro of Gentoo that runs on the 360. For it to work you need the video game KingKong and a special patch. Also you have to crack open the 360 and pull out the DVD drive and flash the drive on a PC to use a hacked firmware.

So really and truly you can run OSx under Linux using PearPC.