I feel stupid

Posted by: TCPMeta

I feel stupid - 12/20/05 05:33 PM

Well I did it again. I messed with a system file I shouldn't of modifyed. I compiled and installed QT 4.0.1 on my B&W. Instead of adding the QTDIR entry to my .profile for my user account I added it to my /etc/profile (System Wide profile) and now terminal is useless. I can't use any commands or run any programs from the term window because there was a flaw in the entry.
I can't get the permissions right with file sharing so I can't use my iBook or Cube to edit the file and takr off the changes. Anyone know how to enable root access for file sharing? Or do I have to end up reinstalling?

Re:I feel stupid - 12/20/05 05:39 PM

Nevermind, I found a way to fix the file. I went into the /bin directory and launched tcsh and launched DarwinPorts to install nano since I can't find what directory the old one lays in so after it compiles and installs I can go into the /opt/local/bin and launched nano via the ./nano command and edit the file though the root account on the system. whistle
Posted by: whitlock

Re:I feel stupid - 12/20/05 07:42 PM

We have all done similar things in the past, though this one is a bit sillier. Why QT4.0.1 though?
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:I feel stupid - 12/20/05 10:31 PM

heh i was messing around with the login window to change it around a bit.... i saved the .nib as a .nibb breaking the link to the loginwindow. i could no longer log into my compy blush had to target my 'book and change the file extention on my Cube
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:I feel stupid - 12/20/05 10:40 PM

man. and I would have just hollered at it and then hit it with a hammer...

Oh, wait. that was what we did to Beige stuff back in the day...;)
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:I feel stupid - 12/20/05 11:34 PM

Speaking of hammers, my friend gave me a small one for my birthday with a card on the outside saying, "Mac too slow? We have the perfect remedy!" He also gave me a ton of Cappucino flavored Slim Fast. Mmm, mmm, that's goooood drinkin'. It's amazing how many people just don't understand Macs...
Posted by: maestro

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 06:16 AM

Always back up before messing around. I keep an up to date boot disk for just that purpose.
wink
-maestro

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 06:28 AM

How do you make a bootdisk for os x?
Posted by: TJH

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 07:04 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
How do you make a bootdisk for os x?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15196

If your running tiger you can either join the beta by emailing the author or just drop me a pm and I can email it to you.
Posted by: maestro

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 10:07 AM

I just used copy software and copied my boot disk to a partition on another disk. Dont recall which software, but when I find it, ill let you know.
-maestro
Posted by: TJH

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 10:15 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
I just used copy software and copied my boot disk to a partition on another disk. Dont recall which software, but when I find it, ill let you know.
-maestro

Carbon Copy Cloner?
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:I feel stupid - 12/21/05 01:35 PM

That's a nice one... I've used it for backups in the past. It's nifty to keep around.