3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back?

Posted by: JediJoker7169

3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 08/31/05 06:39 PM

I'm looking into somehow colorizing my 3G iPod 20GB, and I want to go for the cheapest option possible. I was wondering if in fact the front case on the 3G was like the white iBook G3 in that it is clear plastic painted white on the back. It seems to be so, but why take apart an iPod just to find that out? I was thinking I might paint the main part black, leaving the buttons white and the wheel white but painting the center button black. Whaddya guys think?
Posted by: destructospin

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/04/05 02:22 PM

i have a 10gig 3G ipod, and no luck!
i was thinking about a paint job too,
the outer shell is indeed clear plastic, but glued inside
the white inner shell that clips to the metal backing is glued in
maybe try warming it up with a blow dryer?
if that's possible, i wonder if glue would affect the look of the paint
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 05:58 AM

I think the inner plastic is actually 'welded' in using a moleculor binding glue. Thats how both my photopod and G1 iPod are...

-Knife
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 05:59 AM

On a better note- What about making a new one out of plexi-glass (or similar)?

-Knife
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 01:38 PM

KnifeLord wrote:
Quote:
I think the inner plastic is actually 'welded' in using a moleculor binding glue. Thats how both my photopod and G1 iPod are...

-Knife

yeah, that's how my bt mouse was, i got the white plastic out using a grinding stone on the dremmel, but it's not really clean inside, but also i only had one bit and it was the real cylinder one, maybe with some of the bits with rounder tips you could get it cleaned out, but it was tricky, took about 2 hours on that alone.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 03:04 PM

Just work with varying grades of sandpaper to remove the paint, then buff it once you get to 1500 grade. A lot less messier and more acurate than a grinding stone because you won't have dips. Just my 2 cents.
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 04:26 PM

I thought we were saying that it's not paint, I suppose even if it is plastic, sandpaper would work, but depending on the thickness, it could take a heck uva long time

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/05/05 05:00 PM

Just used to typing paint when describing anything like this and sandpaper. My bad!
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/06/05 05:13 AM

okay, how do you get sandpaper and paint mixed up? I'm trying to wrap my semi-conscious at work tuesday brain around it, and i'm coming up with a syntax error. Course, if you touch type super fast as some of us do, I can see you getting words switched around like me smile

Is it wednesday yet? suspense is killing me. laugh

Re:3G iPod Faceplate - Clear With Painted Back? - 09/06/05 05:34 AM

You nailed it on the head. Comes from working TS jobs.