iPod and WMA??

Posted by: thavok

iPod and WMA?? - 04/21/05 04:31 AM

Ok so I was talking to one of my friends who said that iPods would soon be supporting wma. So I looked all over google and couldn't seem to find any reputable sources just a lot of rumors can anyone confirm this or is this just a rumor.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:iPod and WMA?? - 04/21/05 05:48 AM

maybe they are confused by the fact that the iPod supports WMA. This support is turned off by Apple, but its there. Will Apple release and ipod update that activates this support? Its very likely. Will it happen anytime soon. Its VERY UNLIKELY (as long as they have above 30% market share).
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:iPod and WMA?? - 04/21/05 07:16 AM

Umm I'm sorry to say but who accually uses WMA?. Smaller file sized compromizes audio quality unless your used to low quality audio devices.even AAC has its downsides (though it is the best compressed format by far). This is a little off topic, but listen to a high quality professionally recorded standard audio cd on a stndard stero cd deck with an 80's analog amp and equilizer and there is simply no comparison. Digital formats are good simply for their portability. (i'm not going to be carring around my yamaha natural sound receiver from 1979 and my sound shaper 24 from 1984 and a cd deck though it would be a helluva mod). But my point is WMA has no comparison to cd quality no matter how high the bitrate is. Lately I've ripped my cd's at 192kbps AAC and they sound ok.

-Jeff
Posted by: thavok

Re:iPod and WMA?? - 04/21/05 08:13 AM

thanks for the insight but I am mostly asking because I have a friend who's entire libary is WMA. Mine of Course in completely AAC and has been for a while. ever since iTunes for Windows.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:iPod and WMA?? - 04/21/05 11:21 AM

AAC for one, WMA for the other. I would have, like I did, stuck with MP3 since it will work on any device.