Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin

Posted by: krusher117

Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 06/22/04 04:13 PM

I have a PS2 that boots and everything seems to function correctly. I wondered why the games didn't load anymore and I have narrowed it down to the Cd drive motor. I saw BillHarrison's comment on Bad gears in the CDRW he got for his G3. Does that mean my PS2 might be an easy fix away from working?

Any help would be GREAT
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 07/28/04 10:22 PM

I have taken apart my Playstation (oragnal....) if it is the moter, i would asume that you could take the old PS1 moter out and put it into your PS2, i have noticed that all the PS1 parts are interchangeable, and even though the ps2 has the slide out thing, it will most likely have the same moter. If your city has a "Game Force" or if you have a pro video game store then they might have the cd drive to a ps1 that they might give you for free. If its not working, then you might as well just try it anyway, what could you hurt? (ps acording to my NE friend "Gamers" sells PS1's for 10 bucks apeice... so if you live there you might give them a try...)

-Knife

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn\'t spin - 07/28/04 10:48 PM

I got it to work. It actually was spinning, as I discovered when I disassembled it. However, It wouldn't read the cd. It would attempt and then you would get the "read error" on the screen. I poured through forums that offered advice to users in my position. The PS2 has a laser adjust tab to adjust the distance between the laser and the disc. I tried that for about an hour and no luck. Finally I had a bright idea (actually it took me way to long to think of it) so I grabbed a bottle of vodka and a cotton swap, cleaned the laser head and voila! the PS2 works like new. :lol:

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/07/28 22:48

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 07/28/04 10:52 PM

lol, well that makes it a lot easier doesnt it...

-Knife

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 07/28/04 10:56 PM

alcohol always does the trick :y32b4:

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 07/28/04 10:57 PM

LMAO well yes it comes in handy, in many ways... *hmmmmmmmm*

-Knife
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 07/29/04 12:34 AM

LMAO. Hey, gotta go with the six thousand year old answer to life and it's every day abnormalities: Alcohol

B)
Posted by: techspeak1

Re: Playstation 2 cdrom doesn't spin - 10/05/08 06:23 PM

Glad you got it working!