802.11 antennas?

Posted by: pzykotic

802.11 antennas? - 06/05/04 02:24 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I might as well. Anyone know the best place online to buy Airport/802.11 antennas? I live in the Valley (LA) and from the top of my apartment building I can see EVERYWHERE. I really want to sit up there one afternoon with a laptop and directional antenna (preferably a parabolic [looks like a satellite dish]) and find fast open wireless access. I can see the Universal Studios building from up there, I gotta wonder if they have some open access points.

Any advice? I am an engineering idiot, so don't suggest building one. But you can build one and join me on the roof if you want :-)
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/05/04 03:00 AM

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I have posted a new mod guide in the peripheral's section for airport base stations. The guy actually use his extra satelite antenna. Might be worth taking a look.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/48/2/
Posted by: scottk

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/05/04 06:22 PM

And I found this, but again, I'm not sure this is what you are looking for.

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Airport.html
Posted by: pzykotic

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/06/04 11:07 PM

Thanks guys! I'll check these out :-)

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/07/04 12:53 AM

Ahhhh, gotta love it when a brand new forum comes together for all mankind!! :-D
Posted by: karl

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/08/04 05:27 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I have posted a new mod guide in the peripheral's section for airport base stations. The guy actually use his extra satelite antenna. Might be worth taking a look.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/48/2/

If you follow that link you will see the story and instructions from another fellow, who took his access point and put it into the "feeder tube" ON the dish and got a range of nearly 1000 feet! :unsure: :blink:

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/08/04 10:14 PM

I saw that. With 1,000 feet, you could go out into traffic on a street and sell wireless bandwith while people are sitting waiting for traffic lights. Check your email? Sure .... that'll be $$$.
:-)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 02:26 AM

Ah heck. Just call up McDonalds. They're going wireless you know! Just tell them you want one in LA! smile

McD Wireless
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 02:31 AM

Wow thats great, I didn't know that they were going wireless. McDonalds is really changing their image. They use to be the quick stop in and go place, and now they want to be the plac where you can sit and surf the net. Strange how times change.

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 12:43 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
Wow thats great, I didn't know that they were going wireless. McDonalds is really changing their image. They use to be the quick stop in and go place, and now they want to be the plac where you can sit and surf the net. Strange how times change.

I love going to the local coffee shop and using the WiFi and enjoying a cafinated beverage now and then bt I will NEVER use my laptop in a McDonalds. Why would you want to use an expensive laptop in a greasy, messy, and loud fast ffod joint. I could see this a useful for all those with WiFi equipt PDAs but no one in their right mind will want to work with their laptop in a fast food joint. I just think this is a waste and way to justify increasing the cost of the "food" they sell there.

All that and I LIKE McD's
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 12:47 PM

I don't blame you for not wanting to do so. Nor would I. However, I meant my post to be both informative and sarcastic/funny. Maybe I should have used an emoticon.

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 12:58 PM

I figured you were just informing, I just felt like giving my 2cents laugh
Posted by: krusher117

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 01:17 PM

McDonals is desperate to change their image. I really dont get it. They've made money off families and kids for decades and now all of a sudden they aren't? Its not their target market, its their product. Rather than focusing on improving a poor product, they are trying to find way to sell themselves to a whole new target audience.
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 02:27 PM

Thats a great idea open up the laptop, browse the internet and watch for screaming kids with big drinks running nearby. Good boost for waterproofing laptops.

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/09/04 02:33 PM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
McDonals is desperate to change their image. I really dont get it. They've made money off families and kids for decades and now all of a sudden they aren't? Its not their target market, its their product. Rather than focusing on improving a poor product, they are trying to find way to sell themselves to a whole new target audience.

Round these parts we have a chain called Hardee's in other parts they are called Carl's Jr. went to an order and wait kinda thing from the fast food McD's type joint. It is slow, burgers are better, but are WAAAY more expensive, and people are shocked that they are closing left and right. If you are a fast-food joint stay a fast food joint, don't switch.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:802.11 antennas? - 06/14/04 11:23 AM

the wire strainer one mentioned it the current 2600 magazine is apperantly a pretty nice one