Car Hard Drive Din Mount

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/15/08 09:46 PM

Greetings guys. My turn to turn to you for help where I'm stuck. I've got a VRVD640G http://roadmasterusa.com/vr3_auto.html and I have about 7/8ths worth of DIN space in which I want to mount a hard drive underneath the unit. Here's the catch. It all had to fit in that 7/8ths DIN cubbyhole. The USB port on the front of the unit is a low-power port and will not power a pocket drive. In addition, I attempted to build a 5V power supply for the drive. The drive would spin up, but the stereo would not recognize it. My only option is to figure out how to fit a drive/power supply combo in there. I did test it with my large external drive powered off of a 12v/120v car adapter and that worked. I just need to figure out how to get it all to fit without developing heat/dust failure. (I live in Phoenix, AZ) Thanks in advance, guys.

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/16/08 05:29 PM

I may be waaaaay off here, but I was wondering: Is it possible to run a HD right off of a car's 12v system? I'd like to give it a shot, but I don't want to toast my only drive.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/16/08 06:58 PM

TonimusMaximus, I wouldn't run it right off the car battery without some sort of regulator. What size drive are you using, and what kinda space do you have to work with, I am still a little confused about the specs here. Are you going, sans-casing? What about an external drive kit a dc -> ac converter and the typical power brick stuffed in the glove-box or something?

Either way, I think you are going to need to store something a little bulky in another location and run a wire...

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/16/08 08:21 PM

Ideally I would like to get the whole package to fit in 6"x7"x1.75" acrylic box. Due to size constraints, I was thinking a 2.5" pata drive. However, if I could get a 3.5" pata drive to run off of the car's power system, that would more than make up for the difference in size. The only cables I want coming out of this box would be 12v leads and a USB cable. If I find a really tiny DC/AC inverter, I might be able to make it work and keep it all in one box.

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 11:16 AM

im guessing you want alot of storage? SSD/CF is out? You are trying to use that usb port on the front of that headunit?

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 12:07 PM

Yes, I'm using the USB port on the front of the head. I want a lot of storage, but SSD/CF is out due to cost more than size. My music collection is currently quite small (approx. 20 gig) but it has doubled in the last year. So ideally, I would like to put a large drive in it so I wouldn't have to replace it.

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 01:25 PM

this looks interesting...

http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/usb20toideab.html

it says it supports dc power, although, I don't quite get that unless there is an adapter...

Check this out though, this might be the ticket, if you have one of those usb to ide converters for the drive, or a tight usb drive kit...

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWR-022&Show=TechSpecs

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 01:27 PM

btw, that site is awesome for carputing equipment
Posted by: RadioC1ash

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"

Check this out though, this might be the ticket, if you have one of those usb to ide converters for the drive, or a tight usb drive kit...

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWR-022&Show=TechSpecs

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. However, I would recommend against using a pata-usb adapter. I used a drive enclosure similar to this one. The case slides right off and the hard drive itself will mount directly to the PCB so you don't have to worry about things rattling loose. Without the outer cover, the assembly would only be about 1/8" thicker than the hard drive itself, and a much more stable alternative to an adapter

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/17/08 02:47 PM

TonimusMaximus: BTW, I can't get over HAL - Brilliant!

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 09/20/08 12:18 PM

Wow, oojacoboo, that is exactly the part I was looking for. And RadioC1ash, I agree with your idea for the HD. I think I may still need to cool it though. Ambient air temp in my car gets up to about 130 in the summer. And HAL always looks like he's watching you...

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 10/01/08 12:45 PM

Maybe something like this CoolerMaster then? It'd take up a little more room, but you'd be killing two pc's with one stone, er, so to speak.

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 10/02/08 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: "TonimusMaximus"
...HAL always looks like he's watching you...

Yeah, I hijacked him, temporarily. Just for a giggle ;D

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 10/02/08 12:33 PM

Nice. The color is creepy too. I just ordered the POL power supply. Should be here in time for install next weekend. Cross my fingers. And we'll see if we can't get this damn thing to work.

Re: Car Hard Drive Din Mount - 10/06/08 10:55 AM

Lemmie know how it turns out, I've been considering doing some similar work in the car.