Apple Remote Paint Job

Posted by: fightclub

Apple Remote Paint Job - 02/05/07 08:01 PM

I want to paint my apple remote to match my black macbook.  Does anyone have a disassembly guide so i can take this thing apart.  I got the battery out and removed the screw inside the battery slot.  I can see 2 prongs but they dont appear to be holding it together.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Apple Remote Paint Job - 02/06/07 07:17 AM

i haven't seen any guides for the remote.  i know thats crazy to think about, but it just may be the one apple product that hasn't gotten taken apart yet. 
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: Apple Remote Paint Job - 02/06/07 09:12 AM

It may be a sealed unit. In that case, taking it apart would be a less than stellar option, much like the pro mice and mighty mice. The easiest thing to do would be to mask off the transparent black fronting, sand the whole thing lightly, and then spray it with a half dozen coats of matte black. then re-sand it smooth, and hit it with a matte clear. One more sanding, and you're probably home free.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Apple Remote Paint Job - 02/06/07 11:21 AM

You can pull the battery tray out. I think thats about it. There is a screw visible when you remove the tray, but undoing it doesn't accomplish much. It looks like you might be able to pull out the guts with a very fine pair of pliers (bit like an iPod mini), but I couldn't get mine out easily. The outer case is definitely glued down the seams at the edges.
Posted by: Kisin

Re: Apple Remote Paint Job - 02/06/07 11:56 AM

perhaps the IR cover is like a cap? holding the two piece body together? I won't try taking it off on mine, but if anybody else got the guts (or a spare) please post a guide with pics!
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Apple Remote Paint Job - 07/26/07 04:24 AM

I doubt it's glued together. Probably has some heavy duty tabs holding it.