N64

Posted by: cincyaaron

N64 - 02/02/06 03:32 PM

So I have decided to take a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G access point and enclose it inside an N64. I cannot seem to get it open though, the screws that go into the base are like embed in. Once I get that open though, im going to open it, drill holes through the top for the antenna's, and then drill holes in the back for the ethernet input and power input. Then I will just plug in the controllers and make it look like it is a N64, <b>with antenna's.</b>

What do you guys think?
Posted by: oojacoboo

N64 - 02/02/06 06:10 PM

sounds pretty cool to me. Not sure how to open it, maybe its sealed up and needs a little prying. Don't hold me to that though wink
Posted by: TCPMeta

N64 - 02/02/06 07:32 PM

It's held with some funky secure screws and glued with urthain in places. Get that kit from craftsman that lets you take out striped srews and use a power drill to remove the screws. You can always replace the screws or devlope a whole new way to close up the case.
Posted by: whitlock

N64 - 02/02/06 11:29 PM

1. Bic Pen
2. Lighter
3. Use Lighter on Pen's Plastic End
4. Take melted end, still hot, and poke it into oddly-shaped screw
5. ???
6. Profit!
Posted by: shadowboxer47

N64 - 02/03/06 10:36 AM

1. Hammer
2. Bash
3. ???
4. Profit!
Posted by: maestro

N64 - 02/05/06 09:39 AM

Good idea whilock. I know the screws you speak of. I too have an old N64. Those are security screws to keep people from tampering, lol. The Craftsman bit may work and so might the pen. I may have to get it a try and let you know.
Posted by: TCPMeta

N64 - 02/05/06 05:54 PM

Step 1 Steal underpants
Step 2 ???
Step 3 Profit

The pen idea might and might not work. It's worth a shot, just hope there isn't a lot of tourc on the screws.
Posted by: usbcd36

N64 - 02/09/06 03:22 PM

If you do use a Bic pen, make sure you get a clear plastic one. The opaque ones are made of a bendy plastic that tends to strip when you use it for screws. If all else fails, you CAN buy a bit or screwdriver for those screws, but they cost like $8 apiece, so I'd go with other methods. Being a portable-izer myself, I know many places to find info on these types of things. Best is http://www.benheck.com (or more importantly, http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5001 ). I believe the hemostat and soldering iron methods are the best to use if you don't want to damage the case. I used neither of these, rather I took a normal flathead screwdriver and filed a groove that fits around the screw. Took like 10 minutes, and it'll won't break after 5 screws.
Posted by: Harbourmaster

Re: N64 - 09/04/08 05:53 PM

You can get the tool you need to open your N64 here.
I bought one not to long ago to do a mod on an N64 with my son.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/default.asp
Posted by: JaysAtomic

Re: N64 - 09/04/08 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: "TCPMeta"
It's held with some funky secure screws and glued with urthain in places. Get that kit from craftsman that lets you take out striped srews and use a power drill to remove the screws. You can always replace the screws or devlope a whole new way to close up the case.

Ditto that on the glue... in fact, I think they put dabs of glue on the screws themselves if I remember right... thats why they are hard to get out even with the right driver.