Ethernet Switch Fans

Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Ethernet Switch Fans - 10/25/05 08:38 AM

I have a 24 port switch running my net work, its annoyingly loud when everything else is switched off. The fan seems to run permanently. Its a rack mountable switch, but not mounted on a rack, and it always feels cold to the touch ((been running 24/7 for weeks now), so Iwonder if I could get away with disconnecting the fan altogether. Ideally, I would fit a thermostat switch, just in case it warms up. Anyone know where to get some cheap and simple kit to do that?

Any other opinions on this?
Posted by: burtman

Re:Ethernet Switch Fans - 10/25/05 08:54 AM

Can you not throw it in a cuboard somewhere? All my switches, VOIP adapters, routers and servers for my house in the cellar, so that they don't annoy me with their fans and flashing lights

I suspect your main problem is that the fan is small and having to shift a lot of air, so maybe if your switch isn't rack mounted, some ducting and a larger slower fan mounted externally could shift as much air but with slower rotation and theirfore less noise?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Ethernet Switch Fans - 10/25/05 10:23 AM

also, it might help to get the base off of its resting place. I might would try to put a new fan on the casing if its still making that noise. Or some sort of temperature regulated fan module.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Ethernet Switch Fans - 10/25/05 01:05 PM

You could replace the fan with one that is ball berring and use rubber spacers to limit the noise, as well as using a low RPM drive. Way cheaper than installing a fan w/ a temp gauge.