Hocky Puck Mouse

Posted by: KnifeLord

Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/20/05 03:12 PM

Hey,
I'm doing a quick color change-mod on my G3 Hocky Puck mouse. Should be reassembeled in an hr or so so I might have a short mod guide on it up soon.

-Knife
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/20/05 03:56 PM

nice. but it begs the question....why are you still using a hockey puck mouse?! :ermm:
Posted by: WurdBendur

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/21/05 03:58 AM

It doesn't have the transparent plastic, does it? So, what kind of paint would you use on the outside? I'd be worried about it scratching or rubbing off. But good luck.
And I think a color change mod for Apple's newer mouse would be great.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/21/05 05:46 AM

The hockey puck is semi-translucent. Remember what big deal it was that you could see the dual-tone trackball beneath the apple logo in the middle? lol :P But yes, a color mod on the jellybean mouse would look sweet

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/21/05 06:54 AM

I made it black and white, and left the apple open so you can still see the ball, sadly i broke the rubber on one of the tracks so I am thinking about a solution, Currently it will either be wire shrink rap stuff, or some sort of multen rubber... It works, but wont move, looks good... but wont move... is usefull but useless... aka needs work...

-Knife

I have a hokeypuck mouse bc i have a old teal G3 iMac...

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/21/05 03:07 PM

Ah, yes, that's right. It's been a while since I've used one. I certainly hope you can get that mouse working. If not, light it up and make it an ornament. smile

As for the jellybean mouse, I'd like to see one with a wavy pattern similar to the "lolipop" desktop patterns in OS 9. I like Lolipop 6, with its undulating forms. Anybody else? How would you paint your jellybean mouse?

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 02:09 AM

well I remember maestro (?) was asking about taking one apart and I said I'd try out mine since I had one laying around...turns out I had given it to my mom. I like the jellybean, but It needs more buttons, a scroll wheel, and a laser.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 05:05 AM

krusher, tell us about the mouse you use. I wanna know what you consider a good mouse.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 06:14 AM

hahahaaha you ass. I know exactly why you are saying that. For all those not in on the inside joke, Jacob and I have dualing preferences on mice. We both spent a small fortune on our mice and we both swear by them

Mine: Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer (with side scrolling wheel)

His: Logitech MX 1000 Wireless Laser (with ugly battery life led indicator)

we'll never agree on which mouse is better, but I'm pretty sure we both agree that the hocky puck mouse is the worst mouse Apple ever made

:lol:

KNIFELORD - HEY IS THERE A PIC OF THIS BLACK AND WHITE MOUSE?

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2005/04/22 13:18
Posted by: dead13

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 03:26 PM

i have a pro optical mac mouse i will do the mod on anyone know how to take it apart? i was tinking translucent red or maybe a tacky bling like gold or silver.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 04:16 PM

ok well i got the lid off it turns out all it takes is an xacto knife to do this.Now for the big question what color to paint the top?????

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 04:28 PM

Yes I have a pic, but i also have a headach so im gona do the good and lazy thing and upload it tommarow. Also- Paint it black on the inside but then put tape in the shape of two flames and paint in the flames (you will want to mask twice using orange and yellow for your flames. then It would be cool, but also add a small cercle masked in the center so you can see down to the little apple logo on the black (or white depending) plastic that is over the main computer board.

-Knife

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/22/05 04:37 PM

that sounds great but you will have to go into detail on the flame job As it will be my first.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/23/05 10:11 AM

I've found this tutorial for a model car. The same masking can be done with tape. Just keep in mind that since you're painting the inside of a clear shell, the layers of paint you put down first are the ones that will show. So you'll basically have to do everything in reverse. You may also be interested in this site for more detailed flames. You could also just put some flame decals on the inside if you don't want to trouble with masking and painting.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/23/05 02:34 PM

check out the finished product in the gallery.

Post edited by: dead13, at: 2005/04/23 21:35

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/23/05 02:36 PM

I like both of thoes but I think you should have the flames on the sides of the apple (ie. FLAME-APPLE LOGO-FLAME) with the flames being higher on the sides then in the middle, |\\APPLE/| something like that. Anyway good luck but make sure you put orange then yellow, then black and keep the cercle or something cut out to see the apple masked the entire time.
Enjoy!

-Knife

PS: I screwed the mouse up, if somebody wants the parts everthing works i just melted one of the plastic scrols on it. I think I want to keep the body though.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/23/05 02:41 PM

well you know it was the first try i can always go back and redo later.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/23/05 04:09 PM

I like it. I think I'm gonna be stealing mine back to mod.

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/24/05 09:50 AM

Nice. How does it look with the red light on?

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/24/05 10:23 AM

not much different when i get unlazy i'll post a pic of it on ok
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/24/05 11:06 AM

looks really cool. Great job!
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/25/05 06:18 AM

All this talk of mice made me dig through my collection of mice-and I came accrossed my old apple IIc mouse. (AKA brick with a button). that was kinda random but whatever.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/26/05 02:26 AM

Speaking of old mouses. before i saw this post i found the mouse to my dad's 1984 128k mac... talk about a brick :blink: pulled out the dremmel and it's up to date and works well. my dad got a kick out of the old relic too. There is a pict of it in the gallery now, if anyone is interested. i tried to post a mod guide for it, but i was told i'm restricted access :unsure:
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Hocky Puck Mouse - 04/26/05 03:05 AM

That looks great! I want to get a cheap optical mouse to hack around with and do similar things.