Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA)

Posted by: KnifeLord

Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/29/04 05:27 AM

Hey,
I wasn't sure weither to post this under laptop mods, or peripheral mods, I decided on peripheral... Anyway, My brother has had a G3 iBook for many years now, and it has never had a wireless connection. Well my bro just got a external wireless card for his computer... I know what your thinking... do iBooks have PCI slots... sadly not. So I am currently looking into the possibility of taking the aria extreme's antenna off the back, and just using it like a normal Airport card. First off, I don't know that this will work, but the mod I have for anyone looking for a good idea is more of a software hack. This hack would allow you to use both an internal wireless card an an external wireless card, so that you would be able to connect to two networks, this giving your more ability to move around, if you lose one, you can use the second as a backup. Currently I can't afford a new card, and will most likely just trade off the external with an enternal from my sister's Powerbook. If I had the money I would buy one now and start hacking it, but I am not able to right now... oh well. Tell me if you are going to try this mod. It would be extreamly nice to be able to have a backup network, especially if you are in a hightraffic area, where your connection would slow down a ton.

-Knife
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/29/04 07:05 PM

I feel pretty confident that there is software that allows this already. However, I guess it would be possible to have two netowrk connections at the same time. I haven't really ever messed around with two wireless connections at once, but maybe it will work. I still don't quite understand what you mean by the antenna. Or, maybe it was clear and I am just confused... :huh:
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/30/04 08:50 AM

http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/appleseed.html

You could always connect a lot of apples together wirelessly and make them slave and the start of your own power cluster!
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/30/04 02:58 PM

First off:
The aria extreme is Cardbus (32 bit PCMCIA). There is no way to get this to work on your ibook (as far as I know). Yes, it may look like the internal airport card. No, it isn't the same connector in reality.

In fact, I am not aware of any means to get 2 radios into an ibook (running panther). As I recall, the D-Link USB adapter that's "Made for Mac" doesn't work in 10.3.

I have, in fact, used multiple radios on the same machine. MacOS X handles everything. When one interface goes down, or becomes unavailable, the next one receives the traffic. However, you must realize that since you will be on different networks, your IP address will obviously be different, and that because of this, the transition can't be "seamless," because all sessions to radio 1 will be lost, and radio 2 with a different IP will have to recreate them all.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/30/04 04:56 PM

When you plug in multible wifi radios into a mac what does it show under the nework sys pref. You can go to sys pref > network > network port configurations and order them by which your want the computer to try first. Does the other wifi show up under that list with another name other than airport?
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:Dubble the power *Mod idea* (MAHAHAHAHA) - 12/31/04 04:24 AM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
When you plug in multible wifi radios into a mac what does it show under the nework sys pref. You can go to sys pref > network > network port configurations and order them by which your want the computer to try first. Does the other wifi show up under that list with another name other than airport?

Of course, it's not an airport connection.
Depending on the driver, it will say either "Ethernet N" (where N is an integer that is one greater than the number of pre-existant ethernet interfaces on your mac) or the name of the card or something.