Super Airport Extreme!

Posted by: KnifeLord

Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 02:14 AM

Hey,
You may or may not know that my sisters cat recently knocked her laptop (PB G4 Ti 15 in.) off a table... Well I have spent a few weeks looking for a computer to fix her's with. My school just happened to have one, It was hit by a car. Well Its case is just right for hers. But I get all the extras, DVD-Rom, Airport slot, PC slot, Acrylic Apple (YES!) and such. Well turns out that I will end up with a spare set of antennas, and the plug in for the airport card. I am asumeing that this will increse my airport's range! First I need to decide which set I'm going to use (most likely the ones in 'her' comp...) If anyone knows if this will work/help my airports range please be sure to add! Thanx!

-Knife
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 03:30 AM

I don't think that I completely understand your question. You say that you are going to hook up two airport antennas? :blink:
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 03:42 PM

You will probably not see a huge gain from the PB antenna. It will help that it is external, but those never performed well to begin with. I'd recommend a cheap omni-directional antenna. I've seen them shipped for less than 10 bucks on dealmac. They come with the appropriate plug and will work better, i think, than the PB one. It might be nice to splice the two sets of PB antennas together and install them both into the PB. It might help the range a bit.

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 04:40 PM

the casing on the powerbook is what limits the rang of the airport. If it is a Ti book you notice the antennas are actually located near the keyboard on the sides.
I saw this one mod, I thought that it was on macmod, the guy ran an antenna out of the IR port on the back. But I know there are some really cool after market antennas that attach right to the powerbook and add alot of reception.

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 06:26 PM

What I was planing to do is take the ones from my sisters, and attach them to the airport, insted of the metal bracket that it comes with. It already has the right connecter... But my main question is will it increase range... I think it might because its a more advanced version... But I have no idea... The main idea was not for the PB itself but for the base station, a free addition of range rather than buying the omni for like 30 bucks...(or whatever it is now...) But still on the drawing board...

-Knife

(PS: My sister is in grad. school, and in a dorm, so her range isnt really what I was going for with the spair Antenna)

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/29/04 08:04 PM

so, you are wanting to take the antenna wire and connect that to the external antenna slot on the airport base station, is this correct? If so, yes, that would increase your range slightly, but I wouldn't expect to see any drastic improvements. It will probably just look "awesome". wink

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/30/04 04:14 AM

Nah,
(I was kinda cheep with the basestation, it doesnt have external...) What my main plan was, is to remove the top, and take the antenna from the computer and dissconnect the old antenna, and connect the new antennas from the sides of the Ti's main computer base. possablly sliceing two small slots on the top, and putting the antenna there... I still don't know if the range will be advanced, but I would asume it would help to a point.

-Knife

Re:Super Airport Extreme! - 10/30/04 06:44 PM

so, you are wanting to make two antennas on the outside of the Ti. You are going to slice a small hole in the side so that you can run them out?