iPod Pocket Warmer

Posted by: whitlock

iPod Pocket Warmer - 01/04/09 03:49 PM

Alright, so I have decided what my next mod is going to be but it's not what you'd call a normal mod. I want to create a small sewn case for my iPod to keep it warm when I walk to work.

When I am about half a mile a way from work, the iPod shuts off due to being too cold. I'm personally not cold at all during this walk. The iPod has shut off when in my shirt pocket on my chest, in my jeans pocket, and even in the liner of my coat. I just can't seem to keep it warm enough to get it all the way to work.

I was thinking of a couple different options for this case. One would be to get some wool and have enough insulation between the outside and inside shell of the case. The wool could be some 'fancy' stuff I pickup or a hacked apart Smart Wool sock that the mate died on.

The other option would be to get an insulation material that could be heated up in the microwave. By starting the journey off warm, it might be enough to get to work.

The later option would make the most sense in ensuring that the iPod would be on. I thought I'd throw out both options though. If anyone has anything to say, suggest, or maybe they know of a product that would help me out I'd appreciate it.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: iPod Pocket Warmer - 01/05/09 01:42 AM

Hey Whitlock. I think this will work perfect for you. I saw it when my home inspector used it to test my microwave to see if it worked. It's a little bag full of rice, feed, or field corn. Whatever you use, absorbs heat and stays warm a fairly long time. The main benefit is that even if you spring a leak, you're not going to damage your iPod. The basic idea is a thick plastic bag with your media, then sew that into a fabric bag and voila. Here's a link. http://www.quiltbus.com/microwave-bags.htm

Re: iPod Pocket Warmer - 01/20/09 08:20 PM

So after some different field testing, I found the perfect way to keep my iPod going in even -22F weather.

iPod in a SmartWool sock.

It kept it going pretty well and didn't require any special heating. I still might make something similar just to see if it works (Thanks TonimusMaximus for the link), but at this point the easier the better.

I don't really want to keep my iPod wrapped in a sock most of the time. Basically I am going to chop apart a fairly well used SmartWool that is missing the mate, wash it well, use it for the main material, and sew a cover around it.

I have an idea of how it will look already. It's a shame that pearl button clasps are hard to find in sewing stores. Don't bother sending me a link - It's just something that I'd rather pickup in person.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: iPod Pocket Warmer - 01/21/09 07:37 PM

thats what you get for living in Fargo

Re: iPod Pocket Warmer - 01/22/09 07:23 AM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
thats what you get for living in Fargo

Well "Fargo" is better than "Hotlanta". Enjoy your humidity! >:D