iPod dock connecter

Posted by: 987687

iPod dock connecter - 09/22/08 08:28 PM

Where can I get an iPod dock connector that has power in, and audio out? I would like to have a direct input to my car, and just use one cable.
I know that I can get an FM transmitter or something with such a cable, but that is to expensive to pay for the plug. I do have a cable that powers the iPod, but I have a separate plug for the audio, and on the old iPods the audio and dock connector are on opposite sides. Is there some site that sells just that plug?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/22/08 09:56 PM

Why not just have that be two wires with the old dock and just tape em together or something?

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
Why not just have that be two wires with the old dock and just tape em together or something?

Because the headphone plug is on one end of the iPod, and the dock connector is on the other. If I had a newer one where it had the connectors on the same side I would not care.
Posted by: RadioC1ash

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 06:03 AM

You could use one of these, though you wouldn't need the composite video.

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: "RadioC1ash"
You could use one of these, though you wouldn't need the composite video.

It would be cheaper to buy a FM transmitter that used the cable I wanted. The other problem with my iPod is that the headphone plug is getting old, so if I jiggle the plug it will pause. And it will often pause when I break hard, or take a sharp corner. So if I have the power and sound going through the dock connector I will kill 2 birds with one stone.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 09:08 AM

The ipod dock that I have integrates a line out and the proprietary ipod plug next to each other... Would this not be sufficient?

http://www.ixbt.com/td/images/ipod-nano-2-dock-back.jpg

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
The ipod dock that I have integrates a line out and the proprietary ipod plug next to each other... Would this not be sufficient?

http://www.ixbt.com/td/images/ipod-nano-2-dock-back.jpg

I would have to find some way to mount it, but yeah, that would do the job.

Re: iPod dock connecter - 09/23/08 11:14 AM

I think I am just going to buy one of these
http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm?connmale.htm

Re: iPod dock connecter - 10/01/08 12:25 PM

I'd like to see what the inside looks like as far as the back side of the pins. Are they set up with solder wells? Or maybe a small PCB?

Re: iPod dock connecter - 10/01/08 02:03 PM

Well, my iPod stopped working today frown
And then later today I checked my mail and the connectors had come. Oh well, this one is on hold for a while. But I will post pics of the connector.

Re: iPod dock connecter - 10/01/08 02:17 PM

Bummer, that really sux. It'd be nice to be able to fashion custom cables, though. Can't wait to see what you've got.

Re: iPod dock connecter - 10/09/08 08:18 PM

Picked up a 30GB iPod, so I have started back up on this. I got some soldering done after my calculus homework tonight. I have been taking pictures, so by the end of next week I should have everything done and installed in my car.
On that note, anyone have ideas about the best way to mount my iPod in my car?
I have a '96 subaru legacy, if anyone knows the car.

Re: iPod dock connecter - 10/09/08 08:24 PM

I've been wanting to build a standard sized in-dash receiver that has a pop-out iPod dock. It would be so elementary for someone with the time and desire. To me that would be a perfect solution.