iPod with Bigger Screen?

Posted by: BigO

iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/05/08 09:45 AM

I want to do a mod that would result in attaching a larger LCD screen onto my iPod. Anyone have any experience with this, or know of any sites or resources for it?

I'd like to avoid trying to solder the tiny wires from the built-in screen onto something else, but even if I did that would the iPod even recognize a different screen?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/05/08 01:20 PM

What kind of iPod is it? The video, classic and 3G nano will run larger displays via TV out.

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/05/08 01:27 PM

I'll be buying an iPod for the hack. Most likely a 30gig video. The tv out won't work well because I'm thinking more along the lines of a 7 inch LCD.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/05/08 04:19 PM

Well... if it's TV out then why can't you just run the LCD that out instead of the onboard? I wonder if the output only goes active if there is video playing, or if it's essentially cloning. It might be easier to wire something to the Dock Connector rather than the on-board too. Though, you'd need an LCD that could modulate Composite video...

Though a nice ribbon cable to do the job would be quite sweet.

Anyway, heres the pinout for the dock connector:
http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Hope it helps a little.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/06/08 04:58 AM

Yea you can use the dock connector and heres a cheap portable DVD player you can buy and hackup to use the LCD.
http://www.warrantyvoid.us/cyberhomedvdplayer.html
It uses a composite video input/output. Yet the LCD is only 2.5inches.

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/06/08 05:36 AM

I want to replace the screen so that the new screen has everything the normal ipod screen does, including all the menus and whatnot. I know the TV out won't work for that because it's only going to show a video as it's playing, but not the menu's. What behavior will the video-out from the doc connector get me?
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: iPod with Bigger Screen? - 03/06/08 11:33 PM

i don't think it will. My sister has a video player that connects by dock connecter and it only shows videos playing, not a mirror.