Black Wheel in Red Nano?

Posted by: zib_redlektab

Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 10:06 AM

I have a red 2nd generation Nano and an almost perfect condition black 1st generation nano, and after comparing them for a while, i really like the 1st gen scrollwheel a lot more. Is it possible to transplant a 1st gen wheel into a 2nd gen nano?

(terrible rendition of the outcome attached)
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 04:30 PM

Even if the connectors on the click wheels are the same, working on a second gen Nano is not going to be easy. The iPod minis were a pain and these Nanos use the same aluminium tube design only much smaller.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 08:01 PM

Agreed.  I just received a broken 2nd gen Nano (same as yours) and I am dreading having to take it apart to get it working.

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 08:03 PM

hmm. well, ok. im not going to bother then :P its just that the 1st gen wheels are much smoother or something....kinda annoying.

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 08:06 PM

I hear ya. 

Hows this.  I have to fix this 2nd gen Nano and I have a 1st gen laying around.  I'll probably have to part across from the 1st gen to get this thing working.  While I am doing this, I'll check to see how do-able / worthwhile it would be.

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 08:09 PM

hmm. ok, that sounds cool. i probably won't even attempt it until i need a new ipod anyway, since i really don't want to be ipod-less due to a mistake or something.

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 08:29 PM

Well I've got it like half-down.  It's really not that hard - just make sure you have a really small phillips head screw driver and a razor blade.

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/06/07 09:37 PM

Well...iPod is toast.  It appeared from the outside that it was just a bad blow to the display.  Turns out the connections are also water damaged.  Took a soldering iron and touched up the ones I could (after cleaning w/ isopropyl), but it still will not recognize.  It's a shame, but no need to keep the board around.  Keeping the battery and case. 
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Black Wheel in Red Nano? - 10/07/07 11:21 AM

To add more detail to my previous post, the really tricky part was getting the damn thing back into its tube. There is no play at all. And that was the mini.