iPod HDD testing?

Posted by: soundmann18

iPod HDD testing? - 06/24/07 06:51 PM

My 4G iPod died a while ago, I'm not sure what the problem is, but the most likely failure would be the HDD, so I'm wondering if there is a way that I can test to see if that is the problem before I buy a new one.  Is there any way to do that?
Posted by: Kisin

Re: iPod HDD testing? - 06/24/07 10:36 PM

go to ifixit, get the guide, take ipod apart, hook up a different hdd or flash drive, restore ipod in itunes, voila!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iPod HDD testing? - 06/26/07 04:19 PM

A sad iPod icon or ! Folder often point to a failed HD, but dodgy noises are the best indicator. Usually a clunking sound after the drive spins up. Grinding is also bad.
If your pod will boot far enough, they do have a diagnostic mode which will test the HD for you. Takes ages though, even on a good drive. Google for the instructions to boot to diagnostic mode, but plug it in, might take overnight.

Re: iPod HDD testing? - 06/26/07 05:42 PM

kisin: Yeah, I would do that, but that would require getting another drive... I'm trying to figure out if its a bad HDD before I spend money.

War: Thanks, I'll try that, but the last time I tried to turn it on nothing happened... it may just be a goner.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iPod HDD testing? - 06/27/07 08:02 AM

If it won't even power on. Its probably not (just?) the HD.

Re: iPod HDD testing? - 06/28/07 06:45 PM

not turning on may only be a function of having not been charged in a year... hopefully I'll be able to work on it this weekend