iPod Scratch Removal

Posted by: modyourmac

iPod Scratch Removal - 02/13/07 12:36 PM

This morning, my boss came to me with an iPod Nano. His son had sent it through the wash. Amazingly enough, it still works, despite being scratched to hell, and having a broken screen. The boss had gotten a replacement screen, and wanted me to throw it in at my convenience.

"Of course, not a problem!" I said. the man signs my paycheck, what else would I say? So I set to work. But, of course, I cant do just the bare minimum. I am wearing a MacMod t-shirt after all.

I decided to do something about the massive scratching on the front and back. 5 minutes, a pepsi and some gray matter later, I was sitting at my desk with everything I needed. Here's what I've got.

several sheets of automotive grade sandpaper. 1000 and 2000 grit. a tub of turtle wax rubbing compound (white kind) and a bottle of guitar polish. All stuff I had either at my desk in the shop, or on my table in the basement next to the spray booth.

With the nano gutted, I gave it light pressure with the 1K grit paper, working in a circular pattern. the whole surface hazed up as I went. After the surface was hazed decently, I took a little rubbing compound and polished away the haze. Wow. tons better. but not perfect. I switched to the 2k grit and gave that moderate pressure. More surface haze as it blended all the swirls together. Once I had a good amount of hazing, I used more rubbing compound. Wow x2. really close to a glassy surface! Guitar polish was now the order of the day. OOOOOOOO...shiny! Success!

I then took 2k grit and cleaned down the metal back plate. This time however, instead of polishing with the turtle wax compound, I broke out the zildjian cymbal polish. This brought back the mirror shine that was missing.

I then snapped the whole repaired and polished unit back together. Looking at it, you'd never know it went through the wash. I havent shown the boss yet, but he may be a bit surprised.

Anyway, while this isnt a mod guide, if you've got a scratched to hell ipod, try my method. It'll freak you out when you start to sand, but you'll get positive results. Trust me.  smile
Posted by: macDeviant

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 02/14/07 01:48 AM

There was some one on the web taht dunked his nano into beer (On purpose even) and it still worked. the nano is suposed to be very rugged.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 02/15/07 05:13 AM

Might of been easier to get a iPod skin and it would of covered up the scratches.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 02/16/07 12:06 PM

Well, easy, and covering up the scratches wasnt the point.

As Kennedy once said, "we choose not to do these things because they are easy, but because they are hard."

He was speaking about going to the moon. But the concept is the same. Yes, there's easy, but sometimes hard is more satisfying smile
Posted by: zenstate

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 02/16/07 06:28 PM

this is pretty much the same technique that apple sauce's products use.  it has proved to work well for many.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 06/19/08 02:43 PM

didn't you hear you can remove the scratches with a banana? At least Anthony (Krusher117) seems to think so...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rfT9qfVkVQM
Posted by: 987687

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 06/19/08 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
didn't you hear you can remove the scratches with a banana? At least Anthony (Krusher117) seems to think so...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rfT9qfVkVQM

Interesting... I guess it is worth a try though. Maybe tomorrow I will buy a banana when I am in town smile

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 06/20/08 10:51 AM

987687, save your time... its a hoax wink

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 06/20/08 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: "oojacoboo"
987687, save your time... its a hoax wink

At least my iPod smells nice now :=)

Actually... I would not be stupid enough to rub banana all over my iPod.

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 11/06/08 09:28 AM

What is with all the spam lately?

Re: iPod Scratch Removal - 11/06/08 10:08 AM

loser SEO company(s) that are trying to use MacMod's PR ranking to boost their clients crap websites.
Posted by: feimotion333

I'm a jerk spammer! - 11/15/08 09:12 PM

What is the fastest way to make 1mil in runescape....

NOT SPAMMING MACMOD! Whitlock messed with this post.

This user posted the same message 10 times full of stupid links to different runescape sites so you can see his stupid rank to try and con you into buying stupid stuff. I personally have never played Runescape, so it could have been the most useful spam I've ever seen in my life. Hell, it may have gotten Tim Rudgerberger that new liver he needed because the deal was that good. But, unfortunately, I had to delete it because it was just junk.

Oh, this guy has been caught spamming us before. Yay! The pathetic part is that he posted one of them in this very thread about spammers. What a knob.

Alright, carry on with normal conversations.