4G iPod Video Playback

Posted by: kickassimacg5

4G iPod Video Playback - 09/14/06 05:51 PM

I want to find out what makes the 5G iPod play video. Is it software or hardware? If it's the former, would I be able to hack the Apple firmware to run on a 20GB colour screened iPod
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/14/06 11:49 PM

Have a look at iPod Linux.

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/15/06 04:58 AM

I have tried it before but it didn't really suit me. It didn't play audio or video and it just didn't work. I might try out RockBox tonight and see if it's any better but otherwise I want to know if I can put 5G iPod firmware on the iPod
Posted by: zenstate

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/15/06 07:05 AM

I doubt that the cpu in the 4G ipod is powerful enough to play video well.  I know for a fact that apple started using a much faster cpu in the 5G so that it could decode mpeg4 and h.264.

I would imagine that even if you got it to play video that it would be jerky and not very enjoyable. 
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/15/06 12:43 PM

There's no way a 4G iPod will run 5G firmware. Its too different. Sorry.
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/15/06 09:15 PM

I have a 20 gb ipod photo 4g and sucessfully got videos running on it. I installed linux and simply browsed to the video and played it. The problem with this you need a PC to convert the video the right format and size. This video also needs to be uncompressed which means it is a huge file. It is a novelty but not practical. Good Luck!

Re: 4G iPod Video Playback - 09/22/06 11:16 PM

Nup, I tried RockBox and although it is louder, it doesn't play video.