iPod mini case question

Posted by: iProd

iPod mini case question - 01/12/06 02:08 PM

I still have the pink iPod mini case from the iPod that I dismantled. Since my currently used iPod's case is getting dinged up, I was wondering if 1) the case is painted, and if so 2 is it safe to sandblast? (I will have to take the glass screen protector off or protect it some how). And then 3, what would be a good paint to use to repaint it? I was thinking a solid dark blue color or something. Thanks :woohoo:
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/12/06 02:20 PM

I think they are anodized. Can't be sure though.
Posted by: maestro

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 04:54 AM

The case is anodized and yes you can sand it off and paint it. Be careful, its thin. I would not sand blast it. Did you know that the pink one was the rarest ipod ever made. You may just want to keep it that way.
-maestro

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 09:20 AM

The 1st gen or the 2nd gen case? I've got the 2nd gen...if that's the case, I think I'll keep it

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 10:45 AM

Both actually, Pink didnt sell real well. It will probably be worth something, I suggest you keep it stock.
-maestro

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 11:37 AM

Don't know about anyone else's neck of the woods, but in the UK the pink iPod sold very well indeed. Probably best of all the mini's. Girls love them (I know thats sortof a stereotype, but its true). In the UK at least, the green and gold Minis were the least popular colours. Thats why they axed the gold one. I would estimate the gold is the rarest simply becuase its the only one that was dropped for the second generation.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 12:04 PM

war, the pink sold quite well here as well. The chicks loved them as you said. I bought my girlfriend one at the time.

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/13/06 12:28 PM

I never said they didnt sell well, just not as good as the others. They acutally sold less thatn 70,000. If you take the other pods' numbers in perspective, the Pink Mini is rare. It was called the rarest iPod ever made.

-maestro
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 09:12 AM

Funny, I really thought the gold would be the rarest. As was said, they cut production and who can blame them? That thing was FUGLY!

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 04:47 PM

I mentioned this thread to my showroom manager. He says the Pink was the best seller of the minis at least.
Again, perhaps thats just the UK.....

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 06:09 PM

I too thought the pink was the hottest one and the gold being the least, but that was just from personal observation. I don't have the stats. wink
Posted by: whitlock

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 07:20 PM

Pink is not my cup of tea, though you can fix that. Just because it's anodized does not mean you cannot correct it's natural colour. Just because it can be sold at a good price does not mean you can get another case so easily. Since coloured anodized metal is either made that way with a chemical during the process, or afterwards, it can make it a bit difficult during the painting process. Just sand it down and to the bare metal and you can work with it. Once it's beyond the treated surface you can paint it like any other metal.

Be warned though, that the paint job you may end up with may not be as perminant as painting with plastics and wood unless you follow the correct procedure. Using the correct paints are vital so please keep that in mind.

Digital urban camouflage would look awesome or gunmetal as well.

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 07:31 PM

Hmm, thats interesting. I guess my source may have been incorrect? Ill try and find out more about it. Gold is ugly, but then so is pink.
-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 07:42 PM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, thats interesting. I guess my source may have been incorrect? Ill try and find out more about it. Gold is ugly, but then so is pink.
-maestro

Agreed!

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/14/06 08:39 PM

Yes, I don't care if pink is rare...I like the blue one better :P But then, maybe the BLUE one can be the one that get's a make over laugh

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/15/06 07:40 AM

I always wondered why they didn't do the mini in more colours. Anodized purple looks good. As does red.

And people love the different colours. The trade in minis before christmas saw ridiculous price hikes on eBay and in retailers remaining stock. Its all because of the colours. Though the bad press around the nano didn't help.

Re:iPod mini case question - 01/15/06 08:07 AM

colors are all fine and dandy and sound good. But, the truth of the matter is that Apple has to keep more stock, and that means that some colors will be more popular than others, some less than others. Therefore, that means more left over stock and less profit in the end. I don't think Apple has seen a serious sales decrease from the lack of colored minis. I think it might be slightly smaller, but not small enough to justify the loss they would absorb from selling non-popular colors and so on...