new ipods/old power adapters?

Posted by: macDeviant

new ipods/old power adapters? - 12/28/05 08:35 PM

does anyone know if one can power the new USB only ipod video with the old FW ipod photo power adapters...?

lemme know laugh

thanks much
macDeviant
Posted by: krusher117

Re:new ipods/old power adapters? - 12/28/05 08:41 PM

I have a firewire wall adapter and a firewire to ipod cable. It worked on the 2nd gen minis (they didn't ship with firewire cables). Even though that mini does support firewire data transfers, I would say that it would work. After all, the pins would be the same and the amount of power would be the same.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:new ipods/old power adapters? - 12/29/05 12:28 PM

If you plug a Nano into a firewire cable, it will display a message informing you that the Nano does not like firewire. Never checked if it was being charged or not though.

Anyone hear those rumours of Apple phasing out firewire on Macs in the near future? If you wonder why they might do that, its likely because Intel invented USB...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:new ipods/old power adapters? - 12/31/05 08:02 AM

iPod video will charge over firewire.
Oddly, someone brought one baqck to our shop thinking it was faulty. I plugged it in with USB, and it just flashed a battery logo at me. Restting made no difference, and it wouldn't show on the desktop/iTunes/ASP/Disk Util. I plugged it into a firewire cable and it booted straight up! Warned me it wouldn't work over firewire, but was absolutely fine after that. Very odd indeed....
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:new ipods/old power adapters? - 12/31/05 08:16 AM

strange indeed.. i was half expecting the firwire messege when i plugged the wife's ipod video into my FW wall jack. followed by Steve Job's voice through the clicker speaker saying "your ipod will self destruct in 5 seconds. Messege #27-SL."

:P

macDeviant