An iPod with an FM Tuner?

Posted by: JediJoker7169

An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/17/05 08:52 PM

Is it possible to build in an FM tuner into an iPod? Is there enough space left in there? And of course it would probably need its own software, maybe even a separate OS like iPod-Linux. But is it at all possible? Maybe you could even select stations for reception like you can for broadcast with the iTrip. Anybody seen this done?
Posted by: maestro

Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/18/05 02:04 AM

Im gonna say no on that one. Its packed full and to get a decent tuner in there would take
up too much space. An outboard tuner is a possiblity though.
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/18/05 03:43 PM

yea, I am with maestro on this one. That ipod is packed tight, really tight.

Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/18/05 04:35 PM

So could an iTrip or other outboard broadcaster be rewired to receive? Anybody know of someone who has done that?
Posted by: maclover1986

Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/19/05 02:23 AM

Hey Joker,
I don't think an outboard broadcaster be rewired to recieve. And if could be rewired, you'd have to leave it to the pro's.
If you absolutely HAD to get an outboard broadcaster, I would strongly recommend the Belkin TuneCaster II. Unlike other broadcasters, you can set your frequency, starting at 88.1 MHz to 107.9 MHz. Plus, you can have up to four presets programmed into its memory. There is a con for the TuneCaster II: Whenever you are not using it, you have to take out the batteries, 'cause the TuneCaster will suck the batteries dry. But, if you mainly use it in the car, Belkin does provide an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

Trust me. I own a TuneCaster II.

MacLover1986
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 08/19/05 03:40 AM

What about building an in-line radio, similar to an in-line remote, Get the smallest radio you can find and wire it into the headphone cable, or use a male to male cable from ipod to radio and then plug haedphones into radio. Now that I think of it, there is most likely already an ipod accessory that does this...

Re: Re:An iPod with an FM Tuner? - 12/16/07 10:15 PM

Funny... Now the iPods have radio tuners built-in. You just have to buy an antenna accessory to access it... >:D How long now before Apple becomes the Evil Empire? Is it still a rebellion? Why are STAR WARS references so prevalent in popular culture?